The Weather

tincatim

Site Supporter
The next three days promises to be fantastic, highs of 22° tomorrow with a light south westerly breeze here. Perfect time to get out and enjoy some spring fishing. Except I’m too busy with work to even sneak out for an hour. Thursday’s forecast is a drop in 10° and a return of that chilling north easterly wind, taking us through to bank holiday.

My two windows of angling opportunity are Saturday and Sunday morning, 7.00 - 13.00. It’s forecast to be 4° at 7.00, with a ‘feels like’ temp of 1°. It’ll warm up in the afternoon just as I’m packing up. Marvellous!

My question is this, is it likely that the three warmer days will wake the fish enough that they’ll still be on it by the weekend? Or will the cold overnight temperatures knock it back into winter fishing mode.

Lots of variables, I know, but I’m just trying to find some comfort in the fact I can’t fish midweek.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I would still expect to catch.

Forget the "feels like" temperature. That is lower because we are warm blooded. As long as the air temp is above the water temp the water will warm up. Water is a very good storage material for heat. With days now longer than nights I would not expect the water to loose too much in temperature overnight.

But the fish may not be in Summer feeding mood yet. Yesterday with the water at 8 degrees I still had to use 2mm expanders to get a bite.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Rain was forecast all day here yesterday. No rain till 5pm. Useless.
I same as OP. Chance to get out this bank holiday any day or everyday but weather looking rubbish.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’ll never turn down the chance to go when I can, I’ve fished in snow and still caught. I’d just hoped for better weather. Best thing is to feel your way into it and not over feed. The fish should dictate whether they’re hungry or not.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’ll never turn down the chance to go when I can, I’ve fished in snow and still caught. I’d just hoped for better weather. Best thing is to feel your way into it and not over feed. The fish should dictate whether they’re hungry or not.
Put it this way I’m glad I’m fishing matches tomorrow and Wednesday, and working the weekend 😂😂😂

62tucker

Site Supporter
Pond fish seem to very active today.
wonder if they know the clocks have gone forward

62tucker

Site Supporter
18 degrees forecast today
Down to 0 tomorrow night
-3 forecast for Monday night.
Wish I hadn’t gone with the “No Guard” yesterday with the hair cut 👨‍🦲

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There was me hoping it would last but I see snow forecast for next week. I could actually get some sun on the canal yesterday as the trees have been cut down on the far bank, made a change but has left me feeling tired. Got a feeling by the time I get back on the canal in this weather that the boats will be active again.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Was hoping to test my arm at the weekend but I am a fair weather fisherman nowadays.
🤞 for Saturday.
Especially when I was digging borders yesterday and got a tub of lobworms

R0B

Takes time for water to warm up, dependent on size. This is why we prefer to surf in October, rather than April or May!
I reckon larger bodies of water will actually fish better from tomorrow or Friday (compared to say, yesterday or Monday) and by the time they start to cool down again the fish will already be in spring mode and hopefully won't be too many days before the temps rise again and stay that way.

I fished yesterday and although the air temp was lovely and warm, there wasn't much in the way of fishy activity, I'd bet money that people are into good fish this weekend though.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Takes time for water to warm up, dependent on size. This is why we prefer to surf in October, rather than April or May!
I reckon larger bodies of water will actually fish better from tomorrow or Friday (compared to say, yesterday or Monday) and by the time they start to cool down again the fish will already be in spring mode and hopefully won't be too many days before the temps rise again and stay that way.

I fished yesterday and although the air temp was lovely and warm, there wasn't much in the way of fishy activity, I'd bet money that people are into good fish this weekend though.
That’s the kind of blind optimism I’m after!

I’m edging towards the idea of a Saturday morning session being worthwhile 🙂

R0B

That’s the kind of blind optimism I’m after!

I’m edging towards the idea of a Saturday morning session being worthwhile 🙂
It's scientifically based optimism though, it does take longer for large bodies of water to warm up! that's why everyone's ponds are alive but big, deep lakes can still be slow.
Tight lines!

62tucker

Site Supporter
Snow forecast tomorrow.
just been outside and beautiful and 33 degrees in my greenhouse.
looked at weather app and says atm 45 mph wind. Guess what. Never noticed the wind as it’s minimal. Might come in next hr.

R0B

We've just been out in the garden on our sun loungers. 17 in the sun but a bit chilly in the shade. Would have been an OK day for fishing comfortably but bright sunshine probably not the best for the bite.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
The sun is cracking the cobbles today but we have hail & sleet forecast for tomorrow :(:eek:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yep really nice day today, I should have gone fishing, it's teasing me as tomorrow is going to be cold and windy by all accounts.