The Weather - Rain Cold, more Rain, Strong Winds, Colder...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tuppence had been out the back for the last hour, and the first I noticed was him coming legging it in all wet,

was dank early doors but has been quite bright the rest of the morn, then Kaboosch, hoofing down

tonerain

Site Supporter
We all seem to agree that the UK weather is somewhat changeable.

But I've never really understood what weather is ideal for coarse fishing.
Earlier @Silverfisher posted that "still, overcast and warm" was ideal fishing weather for him. Is that broadly correct?
Sounds good to me but has anyone asked the fish?

My fellow club members often blame the weather for their lack of catches.
"Too warm" "Too cold" "Too much rain" "Not enough rain" "Air pressure too high" "Air pressure too low".
Who's right?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
We all seem to agree that the UK weather is somewhat changeable.

But I've never really understood what weather is ideal for coarse fishing.
Earlier @Silverfisher posted that "still, overcast and warm" was ideal fishing weather for him. Is that broadly correct?
Sounds good to me but has anyone asked the fish?

My fellow club members often blame the weather for their lack of catches.
"Too warm" "Too cold" "Too much rain" "Not enough rain" "Air pressure too high" "Air pressure too low".
Who's right?

Ideal for the fish is quite different from ideal for the individual angler. Ideal for the fish is generally considered to be low pressure, overcast/rainy with a decent (preferably) South Westerly breeze. However, different waters can respond slightly differently. They might also respond to variations in temperature and exact wind direction at different times of year. There's no one size fits all. I fish a gravel pit that goes against conventional wisdom and responds very well to sunny weather. So much depends on the size and depth of the venue in question.

Blaming the weather for our failures is just our default option as anglers. Occasionally, it may even be a valid excuse for doing badly.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I normally won't go fishing if it says rain all day. However if it says rain is expected I'll go, as the forecast is so often wrong. I'm lucky that if one day is bad and the next good, I'll just go the next day. No-one likes getting wet and all the gear wet do they? But my gear is much better these days and i mostly keep warm and dry regardless of the weather.

squimp

Site Supporter
The clue is in your first line - ‘changeable’.

Fish don’t feed all day every day. They feed when they want to - which usually means when they feel ‘comfortable’. That’s a combination of lots of factors - temperature, air pressure, light intensity, food availability etc etc.

Different species feed best in certain conditions - so the trick is to fish for the fish most likely to feed on any given day.......

if I was tench or bream fishing in the summer I’d want ‘silverfisher’ weather. If I was specimen carp fishing I’d want wet and windy. In hot sunny weather I’d (probably) stay indoors or go floater fishing for carp.

in the winter I want warm , wet weather for barbel and roach and the attendant coloured water. For chub and pike I’d rather have Clear water - so no rain and higher pressure.

I could go on........

The recent run of big barbel captures to MD‘ers is testament to the above. Nobody was catching in the low water conditions a few weeks ago; now it’s raining the fish are feeding and so also getting caught.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ideal for the fish is generally considered to be low pressure, overcast/rainy with a decent (preferably) South Westerly breeze.

That reminds me of being told wind in the west fish bite best, wind in the south blows food to mouth and wind in the east fish bite least. I don’t recall there being one for north though ?

nejohn

Site Supporter
As far as fishing goes I don't have a great preference as long as it is settled, what I don't like is when the temperature or pressure are up and down like a bar maids apron. If I was given the option it would be mild, overcast with a gentle breeze (upstream if I am on a river)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
How weird

clear skies, no clouds and we have just had an epic shower, proper hoofed down with big fat heavy drops for a ten minutes or so,
Zactly what happened here about half an hour ago. One minute I was banging in pegs to get a level for the new shed the next minute I was soaked to the skin.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Looks like that shower is heading my way, had a couple of hours of clear skies but now it has gone very dark and just heard a rumble of thunder

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looking quite unsettled here until about this time next week when it gets back to where it should be. Looks fishable this Sunday and Monday but not particularly pleasant but looks much better next weekend. Probably got something to do with the storm in the Gulf of Mexico as we seem to get side effects from such things.

Freemason

Site Supporter
Here you go Silverfisher
When the Wind is in the East

Proverb

When the wind is in the east,
'Tis neither good for man nor beast;
When the wind is in the north,
The skillful fisher goes not forth;
When the wind is in the south,
It blows the bait in the fishes' mouth;
When the wind is in the west,
Then 'tis at the very best.

Keith Sparky

Autumn coming......lovely jubbly as I hate the heat (even UK heat !)............Lets hope the Wye gets a good flush through and the Barbel feeding in a few days but hopefully this is not the beginning of Noahs Ark levels of water we had all last Winter !......

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Autumn coming......lovely jubbly as I hate the heat (even UK heat !)............Lets hope the Wye gets a good flush through and the Barbel feeding in a few days but hopefully this is not the beginning of Noahs Ark levels of water we had all last Winter !......
I thought we’d skipped autumn and gone straight to winter, the way the weather is, I think I might emigrate to get away from all the brits , constantly moaning “ it’s too hot “, when in reality it’s not

Keith Sparky

I thought we’d skipped autumn and gone straight to winter, the way the weather is, I think I might emigrate to get away from all the brits , constantly moaning “ it’s too hot “, when in reality it’s not
In my case I think I dislike the heat due to the additional "padding" that seems have grown on me over the last 10 years...I`m sure I used to enjoy warmer weather when I was a stick insect many moons ago.... wonder how the change in weather will affect FISHO ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It certainly is too hot when it’s over 30 but anything below that but over 10 is fine for me at the right times of year. A climate that rarely dropped below 15 or went over 25 with no real wind and only rain when it’s needed would be perfect though lol