The weather for Carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if there is a time in the year when carp stop feeding. I hear about temperatures and feeding, pressures and feeding, light and feeding, but nothing about what to look for.

Thanks once again, Tony

doughnut

Alright Tony,

I must say things would have to get extremely cold, literally unfishable to say carp have stopped feeding... they feed in all weathers!

BUT

There are times when it is extremely difficult to say the least to get em going... such as boilig hot weather, they often loose interest completely making captures very unlikely, also I have been fishing a very difficult water of late which contains just a few very big carp... in real cold winters it just becomes impossible, the carp just huddle together in a hole and don't move all winter, they have no interest in feeding at all and they can probably do this beacuse they are so large and have stocked up on fats through the summer.

So in short Tony, carp dont really stop feeding BUT it can vary from water to water, on some you will catch all year and others you won't stand a chance, this is what carpin is all about mate... it's just as hard as hell sometimes!

Hope this clear things up a little (clear as mud ayy)..
Good Luck, Robin.

bart4real

Hi there,
Carp feeding patterns would appear to be of interest to many anglers, especially with the rise in popularity of commercial fisheries. During the colder weather, temperature does affect how carp feed but no more than any other species. If fish are not moving around, then they are not expending any energy so there is no need to put a lot of bait in, especially as they often shoal tightly. Barometric pressure however, is a different matter. It would appear to affect carp more than any other species. High pressure is often the worse(clear skies and frost)but it is the air pressure change that affects the carp more and not the temperature which accompanies it. Carp can sense the change and tend to stop feeding but after three days of consistent high pressure, they feed very well. It seems to be the change which they do not like as they often acclimatise to steady presssure. Even in temperatures of -7C, they will still feed if there is no sudden pressure change for a few days. The other problem is finding them in the lake as they tend to shoal in particular areas and at certain depths. This is due to the layers of water having different temperatures and carp adjust their temperature to their surroundings so they will settle at a depth which is nearer to their current body temperature. Water is unique in that, up to 4C, it is more dense and sinks to the bottom. Once it drops below 4C it becomes less dense and rises, so that it floats on top of the warmer layers causing ice formation at the surface. Carp are not necessarily on the bottom in the winter months and can be caught at half depth, even in the coldest weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.