The very basics for day's fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am a novice angler who gets very little opportunity to fish. I have a day or two coming up and I want to get the most out of it. I really don't care what I catch or how much - I just want to keep it really simple, turn up and start fishing without worrying too much about technique, rigs etc.

It's not that I'm lazy, but when you get so little chance to fish, then spending too much time practising stuff or trying to learn stuff for later application seems pointless - maybe I've got that wrong.

I'll be coarse fishing on still water with a waggler. Keeping it really simple, what the tried and tested basics I take with me: hook lengths, mainline, hook sizes, hook baits, stuff to feed the swim with, floats etc.?

Many thanks

JW

phil-k

3bb insert waggler
split shot in various sizes
4lb maimline
3lb hooklength
16/18's eyed hooks -barbless
1 pint of red maggots
disgorger
landing net
sissors

Can't go wrong with that lot I reckon.[8D][;)]

Last edited:

The_Sogster

Stick and 'Pin
Don't forget your catapult and maybe some groundbait or pellets. Perhaps some corn or meat for the hook also. Oh and a disgorger.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I think Philk has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If we knew what sort of still water you are fishing (i.e commercial carp or natural mixed lake), it would be easier to give a little more accurate info.
Mind you sometimes its nice to get back to basics, and just enjoy catching anything that swims.

I popped down our local river one evening last week, and havent been there since I was a kid!

All I had was a light float rod, and a pint of maggots, trotting a small waggler.

After loads of little bleak, I started getting a few better sized roach, and perch. I finished up catching some cracking fish, with the roach going to just over 1 lb, and perch about the same!

Good luck though.

And welcome to MD's[;)]

Originally posted by metalforever

a rod and reel might help [:p]

I'm from your neck of the woods metalforever - County Durham. I haven't picked out a venue for my day's fishing yet, any suggestions for casual day ticket places in the region? The last time I fished was at the Angel of the North which I thought was awful - lovely little pond there but the owenrs were so officious that I wouldn't go back in a hurry.

Cheers

JW

Thom

james where abouts are you and how far are you willing to travel? i take it if youve fished angel your pretty localc to durham city?

im constantly raving about aldin grange and it sounds like it would suit your fishing perfectly! fish to 20lb+ (supposidly) with a massive head of silvers and more species you can imagine. combine that with 3 lakes offering mixed, silver fish only and match angling and you ahve a brilliant venue!

another is eden meadows, full of carp and good sized ide too!

if you give me a pm with where abouts you are ill give you a list of popular fisheries, might even be able to cath up with you!

slf

NUFC
james fish aldin grange a good fishery for you as you could fish the silver lake there and all you would need is maggots to floatfish shallow or on the deck and catch ide and skimmers

slf

NUFC
james fish aldin grange a good fishery for you as you could fish the silver lake there and all you would need is maggots to floatfish shallow or on the deck and catch ide and skimmers

logical

Yeh I wouldnt recommend angel of the north, The women there I think her name is anne is a right moody g*t, She was on tv the other week saying how lovely the fishing is at HER venue, blatent lies :p

I'm in Burnopfield - right in the northern corner of Derwentside.

Re. Angel of the North. My friend and I are mid 30s, polite, responsible and presentable. We were made to feel like 16 year old chavs. There were about 5 people there the day I went fishing. When I moved from one lake to the small pond I dipped my landing net and mat as I had been asked. I was the only person at the pond. Before I'd got my seatbox put down a bloke marched up to me and gave me a proper dressing down for not getting permission first to move waters.

I'm all for them looking after their stocks, having rules and caring about their venue and nobody in the world is a respecter of rules more than me, but I felt like throwing the bloke in the pond he cherished so much. It was like they hated having to let anglers fish their precious lake and tolerated them only under the strictest conditions.

I'll fish elsewhere then shall I?

Cheers

JW

Thom

james, im a "qualified" (i suppose thats what ann would consider me?) match angler and i felt under alot of pressure while fishing there. im 17 which meant i felt like i was being watched constantly too, seen as i was the youngest angler i suppose i was expected to make mistakes?

ann is really friendly but i dont know, ive grown bored of the fishery simply because of the strict keepnet weights and poor match turn outs really.

Get yourself along to aldin grange and have a proper days relaxing, nice friendly anglers, a great baliff, refreshments, a good toilet as well as three good lakes (the match lake is often closed to pleasure anglers however open occasionally).

Aldin grange is just outside of bearpark coming from crossgate way (i think thats the name of the road) so its not too far from yourself i dont think. myself and SLF (liam) have a match sunday with the junior club, you should pop along [:)]

Many thanks - I can't make this Sunday but I know where Bearpark is and I'll let you know when I plan to go in case you can make it - I'd value your advice.

Know anything about Lizard Lakes in Lanchester - just up the road from Bearpark.

JW

Thom

ive heard its a pretty poor fishery to be honest but i havent actually seen the lakes.

logical

Originally posted by metalforever

logical... it is her venue [:S]

Her and Her husband own it together, with a very good friend of hers also helping to run it, The way she was talking about it on tv it was her's and that "she runs the place all by herself" She never gives a thought about all the hard work her husband put into it.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Ere Metal...who gave you the impression you were a "qualified" match angler??? lol

All Ive ever known you to do is put your name down for matches, and pull out at the last minute!! ghost.gif Haha.

To qualify as a match angler, you have to fish matches dont you? tongue.gif

groundhog

Life Survivor
Originally posted by badpegpicker

Ere Metal...who gave you the impression you were a "qualified" match angler??? lol

All Ive ever known you to do is put your name down for matches, and pull out at the last minute!! ghost.gif Haha.

To qualify as a match angler, you have to fish matches dont you? tongue.gif
[:)]Well said badpegpicker[;)],talking of which has metal paid off all his side bets from Larford Lakes yet[?],hang on did he not pull out of that as well[?][?][?]
[:p] Sorry Thom mate,but as regards match fishing,your apprenticeship still has a way to go[;)]
LOl
[:D][:D][:D]

Originally posted by metalforeveri felt under alot of pressure while fishing there. im 17 which meant i felt like i was being watched constantly too

You almost certainly were. The office there looks like CTU headquarters in '24', or the lair of a Bond villain, with a veritable bank of high res CCTV screens covering every corner of the complex. It didn't seem just a security system to me but a system capable of monitoring each individual angler in minute detail.

Cheers

JW

Status
Not open for further replies.