The unexpected.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I take my hat off to the people who take charge in these situations.

Never been in a life or death emergency, I would like to think I could keep my end up but you never really know until it happens.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Well done for at least trying to help, I would know what to do with rescue breaths and chest compressions, would have no idea how to use defibrillator.

@Yorkieboy70
You don't need to know what to do with a defib. Stick the pads on the chest, following the diagram of the pads. Switch it on and follow the instructions.
You can't do any harm, only help matters.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
@Yorkieboy70
You don't need to know what to do with a defib. Stick the pads on the chest, following the diagram of the pads. Switch it on and follow the instructions.
You can't do any harm, only help matters.
If they dont need shocking it wont shock. Just remember to make sure no one is touching the casualty when you shock them.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Yep
It can turn into a circus quick enough. I had a retired GP tell me a patient who was taking a gasping breath every 20 seconds or so didn't need CPR because they were breathing and a nurse tell me that I shouldn't use a defib on a cas in V Fib because "that was a Doctors job"
I had one guy arrest 3 times in the back of an ambulance and each time I had to peel his old wife of him before I could shock him. He made it, as well.
One of the nicest things that has happened to me. I used to train standby crews for the rigs in the N. Sea. A lot didn't want to do it, but it was mandatory training. Most had realised that it was a good idea by the end of the week. One day a young couple and toddler came into the office in Aberdeen and asked for me. The young man was one I had trained a few weeks earlier. They told me the story of how they had the toddler in bed with them one night and had woken in the middle of the night to find the wee one cold and blue.
The guy remembered what I had shown him and successfully resuscitated his daughter.
It was the little girl's 3rd birthday and they had brought her in to say thank you. She climbed on my lap and gave me a kiss and I had to pop out for a sec because of dust in the eye. (It is coming back again as I write this)
That was a good day, and I didn't do anything (y) :)
I got dust in my eyes now ,well done lovely story ,nothing but admiration and gratitude to you and people like you 🙏