The ULTIMATE Tench Groundbait

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I’ve only used groundbait for tench once and it was like flicking on a switch. 2.5 hours without a bite on the method or maggot feeder, I decided to move to a cage feeder with this stuff

346A683E-74CA-45AC-A62D-3C6C00C76905.jpeg

I then landed 2 tench in the space of 20 mins, followed by a handful of carp & skimmers. Not sure if it was just a coincidence, but they do say fishing is all about confidence and I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to try it again.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Does seem to be something in the krill thing then if multiple people have had the same sort of experiences with it. How odd eh 🤔

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Does seem to be something in the krill thing then if multiple people have had the same sort of experiences with it. How odd eh 🤔
Did a bit of reading on it and apparently they are a very high protein source and full length f amino acids that apparently are major fish feeding triggers.

OLD SCHOOL

I just remembered what I used last summer..liquidised vitalin and mollasse's ,how many tench did I catch last summer ? not one ,I went the whole of last summer without a tench,in my defence I don't fish day ticket waters or commercials,......How many tench were in that picture,

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's a popular saying among locals on the park lake I've been fishing, "they don't crawl up your rod". 😁

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
My avatar (if that is what the pic is called) is of a red letter day and 27 tench. I doubt it will ever happen again. It was in a spell of using sonubaits worm groundbait and match wins at caistor lakes, Bargate Drain, Trent, Keadby canal and Southfield Res. Only one of those places did not include a tench and it is not the obvious.
For me the best tench bait ever is worm. Therefore if I needed one groundbait for the species it would bethe one mentioned. I will add that there was a fair few micro pellets to the mix too

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a great bag.

My best Tench day was 13 from an Estate Lake. I reckon I could easily do that again this year and the one bloke that's always there chatting to the anglers goes on about a red letter day where both he and his mate had well over 20 Tench each on the float. He told me he fed Green Swim Stim but groundbait is banned on the venue... and he was allowed to use a keepnet as he knew the bailiff.

The thing is with the Estate Lake, it takes a lot longer to get going temperature wise than some other lakes like the Park Lake I'm fishing, where I also reckon I could do over 10 Tench quite easily in a month or two, but they average 3 or 4lb and although I've had them to over 5lb, I doubt there's the potential for a 9lber like there is on the Estate Lake.

I almost prefer fishing the Estate Lake for Tench, just beautiful fish in there... but the Park Lake has big Crucians, and every fish I hook there I hope is a Crucian, not to say I'm disappointed at catching Tench, but the first rule of Specimen Hunting is to fish a water that holds your quarry.

I'd also say I prefer maggots to pellets on these waters but every water will be different, definitely can't write off worm though, I've recently started fishing a Worm Kebab rig and like that presentation.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
There used to be a groundbait called Yellow Toffee, this was amazing stuff. Made by Yorkshire Baits, sady no longer available, had some great tench bags using it neat, with sweetcorn as hookbait.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Got some Hemp soaking for tomorrow now. That's normally something I rarely go Tench fishing without, but haven't tried it on the Park Lake yet.

JLK

Never used groundbait for tench.
Just feed lots of hemp and chop worm with corn or worm hook baits.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Got some Hemp soaking for tomorrow now. That's normally something I rarely go Tench fishing without, but haven't tried it on the Park Lake yet.

Hemo is a great draw and hold bait for tench Steve - good luck mate

OLD SCHOOL

So, as I think I said before I caught NO tench last season, at the end of the summer about the end of September I joined another club, I talked to a bloke on my first trip to that lake and he said he had had 30 tench, my swim was only about 50ft from his, a few hours later he called me over to see a tench ( I had forgotten what they looked like), He was using plastic caster and was baiting up with with casters,I have had a few trips so far this summer for NO tench, not been back to that lake yet but when I do I will have casters

solwood

Site Supporter
One the older Van den Eynde groundbaits that was very popular for Tench was Expo which was red in colour and slightly spicy but these days pretty much any fishmeal/pellet based groundbait would work fine.
Iirc expo smelt awful a bit like bile

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've shelved the idea for the moment but there's still plenty of interesting replies in this thread. Reason for shelving it is that the Tench are proving hard enough to catch on other methods without resorting to a waggler at distance. Maybe if they start showing more in summer I'll try it and post what I end up buying.

MarkW

My favourite groundbait from the 80s for tench was called 'Pur Sang' which as the name suggests contained dried blood. Can't remember who made it (Sensas??) and it's long gone.