the ultimate angling experiance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray

hiya all, just been reading one of the monthly fishin mags and came across an advert for "the ultimate fishing experiance" basically it read as follows....fish with matt hayes at furnace mill in search of small carp, chub and roach......bob nudd at a commecial and learn how to get an edge on your mates....big pike with des taylor....big carp with lee jackson....get the picture??? included was day ticket,bait,official shirt and signed video/book, all this for a measly sum of 199. my all time angling hero is mr nudd but although i would love to fish with him i would not be prepared to pay 199 for the experiance. what are your views, would you be prepared to pay that amount of money for a days fishing?? would it be worth it??

the size of my pole doesnt matter.....it gives me lots of pleasure...

ray

oh yeh, ya also get an official certificate

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yeah Ray,
I understand where you're coming from and agree its a hellova price for these guys!
But, everythings relative isnt it ( The lerc5050 poles outta my range ! lol) and its all about time and money.
Just how many days can Bob give up for this part of his income? 10 =2k, minus travelling exps, bait, fishery time, TAX etc.
100 days = 20k, but what about his loss of pleasure or other income earning (TV, video making etc. opportunities?)
How long has he got at the top? When does his name start to fade, longer than Pro footballers certainly, but I saw recently that Ian Heaps is advertising his final Talk-Show tour and many of the venues seem to be pubs and clubs, so perhaps he's selling less tickets now.
Also, theyre all at 199, Do you rate them equally? are you an out and out Matchman, or a carp fanatic and would prefer Lee Jackson?
The time /money syndrome also has a factor. For the succesful/hard working/very little time to fish/rich entrepreneur type, 200 for a fantastic experience is peanuts. For most of us itsa lotta maggots lol.
I was extremely fortunate in the late 70s, early 80s, to work in Leicester and buy my tackle and kit from Marks and Marlows shop in Tudor Road. Ivan was then THE No.1 and helpful!!!! The then manager Graham Barry, Free of charge,arranged to take me and my 2 boys for our 1st trip to the Trent at Gunthorpe Bridge. Showed me the Stick and all the 'names, used to help out with advice.
I used to follow them to matches and sit with Ivan, Roy Marlow, Dave Hall was then starting Coarse Fisherman,the late Trent king Frank Barlow (passed away owing me 20 cigarettes as he turned up without any for a 5 hour Trent match!)and a vivid memory is taking the lads to see a teenage Tommy Pickering at Attenborough Gravels. During the match, cold day, only me and the boys sitting behind Tommy, he got took short.
Having disappeared into the undergrowth, I can still see the look on my boys faces, when from behind the bushes came a plaintive cry from this 'wonder-kid' that they had read about so avidly.
'God, I've nettled me arse!'
Today, the boys are just the same. Sit behind them quietly at a match and you'll learn so much ,just by watching. Often they enjoy the company and interest and will answer questions, but like all pro'a you have got to respect that at times, they need to concentrate and haven,t time for continuous chat.
Also bankside disturbance can be a pain and it makes you envy just how good they are and if you could catch as well, if you had a crowd at every peg!
I would suspect, that as the price is the same for each Angler, that a 'management' Company or 'Agent' is organising these, so they'll want a cut too.
For me? I'd pay it to fish the Blackwater in Ireland with Jack Charlton, for the guy, the scenery, the fish and the Country, What a package!
Others I suspect would pay it just for the ability to fish a closed location, Sadly Adams Mill looks like being the next to add to that list! There are many instances of syndicates paying well over 200 per head,to exclude the average Angler from his/her ultimate fishing experience.
Look forward to meeting you and Geoff in March Ray and welcome to mds

Trev

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Ray
in a word NO
i would sooner spend the money
on a trip to ireland
tightlines dave(scouse)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ray,

,, I'll take anyone for a hundred lol, any takers?

I suppose it is a helluva lot of money for a day's fishing but some one will pay it or get it for a present off his missus or girlfriend and I suppose you don't need many to make a living.
It's a bit like Rally Schools or Silverstone Days, they are there if you want to experience something different or as a one off.

Now getting back to my offer, 100.00 - please form an orderly queue and no pushing at the back

Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ray,
You got a guided tour to and round Bolingey free of charge, What more can an angler dream of. And there you caught loads of fish - more than me anyway, and I caught a lot.

I honestly wouldn't pay that much money for a day out. I think the fun is seeing the tips written down and then trying them out for yourself.

I'm cheaper than Dave, I'm anybodies for a pint of beer, but I can't guarantee you will catch fish. Just enjoy the time on the bank.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

waxlion1

Gentlemen:-

I would rather bob for apples in the communal latrines at Glastonbury than pay 200 for one days fishing!..............

Waxlion1

Cyprinid_boy

last time i fished with bob it cost 15 and i spanked his arse off the next peg on the river Arun in the south east super lol. Maybe he should pay 199 to fish with me!! seriously, a lot of money for little excitement - not my bag.

Cyp.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:You got a guided tour to and round Bolingey

Hi Geoff, is this Bolingey in Cornwall?

I fished there quite a few years ago but heard that it had gone belly up due to toxins in the water shortly after.
And it had nothing to do with me - honest!!

Dave

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave,
Don't take my word for it, ask Ray.
I met Ray in Cornwall last September. Bolingey fished like a dream. I had 21 carp up to and over 10 lb, plus a shed full of nice roach and perch. Ray had more than me on that day. He did even better the next day from the swim I had fished in.
You can only fish Bolingey now, if you stay at Whiteacres. So I do, but I just fish Bolingey. In May I might try Gwinear as well.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

ray

hiya, all factors being taken into account as to the price of the "ultimate experiance" i think that for me personaly, it would be the ultimate experiance, if i were ever fortunate enough to fish with mr nudd he would probably go home with a headache, the knowledge/skill from his many years as one of the best anglers in the world is priceless, i would like to get as much of that knowledge as possible in one session in the hope that long term it would make me a better angler, but as has been pointed out by scouse, you can get a weeks fishing holiday for the same price, i like to go to w/acres every year (twice if poss) i get seven full days fishing which gives me the chance to try new methods/use tips that i have picked up from magazines/meet new frieds, this in turn hopefully makes me a better angler (well i like to think so) so which represents better value for money?......spose it all comes down to a matter of personal choise.

jel

Ray !
Ive just had a plasterer round my house to do some work,it cost me
150 quid ! I think for another 49 id of rather had a days fishing !
jel .

j white

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Footnote re holidays/price
I've just received confirmation e-mail from my landlady in Co.Cavan over details of the weeks holiday I have booked for April 6th , which was for myself and my 2 oldest sons.
I queried whether there was enough room in the bungalow (self catering) for a 4th lad (a disabled friend of my son in N.Ireland, to join us and at what cost)
Also if the 3 girls came down for an evening, were the rooms double and could they stay with us, or take a B&B in the main house.
Could I order the bait to arrive before us, and would they receive it for us? and finally, was there anyone local, who could undertake to prebait any swims for us , so that the action could start on sunday?
By the way, what would these extras cost us? and do you need a deposit?
The reply within 24 hours'

There are 5 bedrooms in the bungalow,and of course the 4th lad can come, The girls can stay too if they like anytime,E-mail us and we'll order your bait for you, Sean , the husband, will pre-bait the swims (These are on Lough Oughter, 25 yds from the Bungalow door!)Of course we dont want a deposit and the only charge extra will be if someone wants B&B in the main house at Euro25 pernight(15.40 today)
The cost of the stay for 7 of us if the girls decide to stay for the week 318 Euros (195.00)
So 7x7 = 49 days for the same price as 1 day with Mr Nudd!
I guess this could be my ultimate Angling experience!

Long Live the Irish hospitality,warmth,Guinness and Craic!

Trev

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,
Last went to Ireland fishing in 1991 to a little village near Carrick On shannon. Locals were wonderful, one family moved in from Londonderry - ugh.
Pace goes by so slowly I am surprised any of them ever wake up. I couldn't get petrol til 11 am.
Have a great time and treat us to some more of your memories when you get back.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
bash.gif

Careful with Co. Londonderry! Thats where son 1 lives lol!
Love there too, Fish the Bann and the licensing laws are British (with Irish Overtones!!!)
Anyway, I'll certainly report, God Willing , and show 50lb Millers Thumb Bags!
BUT, hope to see you week-end before I go at Izaaks!

Cheers Trev
(Congrats on Tiger!)

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Edited by - Ziptrev on 19 January 2002 10:16:43 AM

MALC

Geoff,
When in May you at Whiteacres as i'm there from the 11th for a week with the family.
Went last year for the first time and liked it so booked again for May and September.
If your there at the same time we'll have to meet up.

MALC

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc
Just sent you an E-Mail with the dates I am there. Coincidence eh

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.