The Twilight Saga

Simon R

Site Supporter
Only our second visit of the season to Dromonby Farm on Sunday and another of our slightly odd matches. Up until fairly recently we held two 12 hour ‘all-nighters’ – since we have no club waters now and since venues that allow night fishing charge extortionate amounts for the privilege this match – The Laidler Steels Trophy – was scheduled to be fished from 1.30-7.30pm – finishing about 30 minutes prior to sunset. I only had nine down to fish, which isn’t a bad thing on the small pond meaning I could leave out some of the tighter pegs. Peg 10 stuck to my fingers – the peg behind the island which I haven’t drawn for years.(y)

The water level in the pond has dropped about a foot, so the already shallow margins around the island are in some places now dry-land. Against the island was literally about 2” deep – even a couple of metres away it was only 6-9”. The tree roots above the waterline looked very snaggy. Three lines would suffice – against the island, down to my right under the bush and a top three kit set shallow for catching bits. After an immaculately observed minutes silence in honour of club member, match stalwart and friend Chris Kay who was tragically shot and killed on Friday :cry:I shouted ‘time’ at 1.30pm.

Image00020.jpg

Image00019.jpg

I potted some corn and pellet down under the bush, dropped a few cubes of Coshida and pellet out towards the island and sprinkled a few maggots on my 3m line. The island line was so shallow that I could probably leave it alone unless I actually saw movement over there. After catching a pound or so of bits I began to get plagued by tiny fish, they weigh next to nowt, shred the maggot and invariably fall off as you’re swinging them to hand. The only way to avoid them is to fish an entirely different area until they get bored and swim off. So with this in mind I dropped in under the bush with double corn on the hook.

Image00004.jpg

I’d only been there for a minute or two when the float buried and an angry carp took off for, fortunately the middle of the lake, where it kited around in ever decreasing circles until I coaxed it into the net – it was neatly hooked in the pectoral fin and came in sideways. It was probably 3lb and a welcome addition to the net. Shortly afterwards I noticed some movement against the island so swung a cube of meat across to the spot where I’d seen the swirl and it was taken immediately – this fish raced round the island and despite putting my pole as far underwater as possible I could feel the line pinging off the underside of the exposed tree roots – I felt the elastic bottom out but the line held and I gently pulled the fish back towards me before the hook pulled out for no apparent reason. Nothing else was forthcoming and after plundering a few more small fish and refeeding my other swims I went for a wander. Steve wasn’t doing a great deal up against the reeds on peg 12, nor was Peter on peg 11 who was concentrating on the silvers.

Image00007.jpg Image00008.jpg

Along the roadside bank Tony was struggling but Rob and George had a couple of carp each – I just missed George’s squirrel catching exhibition which cost him a feeder.:p Tink had just bits, as had Barry who was bemoaning the fact that he was losing far more carp then he was catching this season – on the same hook he’d been using for twenty years – I did advise him that it was possibly time to change it as it may be a little blunt by now. :pSteve had extricated a carp from under the big bush to his left and also lost one.
Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

Returning to my peg I dropped a bit more meat up against the island, evidently a bit too close to a couple of feeding carp that bow-waved off in opposite directions. I switched to my ‘bits’ rig, missed a bite first put in and then hooked something that was evidently not a roach – I was a bit concerned that the 0.10mm hooklength might fail but it held and another fish of a couple of pounds entered the net.

Image00016.jpg
As the wind dropped and evening approached there was a lot more activity around the island – I couldn’t see George but I could see where his feeder was landing and more than once he spooked carp. I couldn’t get them feeding confidently in my peg either – I could clearly see backs out of the water but they wouldn’t settle – I think probably because the water was so shallow. I did manage to land another two, one of which was neatly hooked in the anal fin, so came in tail first and enroute must have visited every potential snag in my peg. I had no idea what else had been caught but splashing from both sides indicated that the two Steves must have landed a few and I’d already seen Barry successfully land a couple.
stever fish.jpg

We started the scales round at Tony who’d just returned from tropical climes and weighed 6lb 3oz

Image00018.jpg

Rob was next on peg 2 and caught on a number of methods, one particular lump probably swinging the balance in his favour with 23lb 8oz

Image00010.jpg

George was next and just a pound behind Rob with 22lb 8oz

Image00006.jpg

Along to peg 5 and Tink had seen few carp and hence only weighed 7lb 2oz

Image00017.jpg

Barry had a few more and pulled the scales down to 16lb 12oz

Image00003.jpg

Steve had lost a couple under the tree but still had 13lb 7oz

Image00014.jpg

My collection of fish were a bit heavier than I thought and I weighed 16lb 6oz

Image00011.jpg

Steve had lost three to the reedbeds – an occupational hazard of that peg but still weighed 14lb 8oz

Image00013.jpg
Finally Peter wasted the best part of two hours hunting for non-existent carp in the corner before silver bashing and finishing with 17lb 4oz for third spot.

Image00009.jpg

Not the best match we’ve had here but the low water level didn’t help – the usually productive margins on some pegs were too shallow to encourage the fish to feed confidently.

Back to Brafferton next - pegs 1-35 on Spring Lake - this should have been our joint match with Guisborough AC, however they've cancelled their entire match programme this year due to the virus. The lake is still booked though so if any of the Guisborough lads wish to take part please let me know.

Simon