THE TRIALS OF FISHING

Status
Not open for further replies.

carper2002

'Ronnie'
at what age would you start teaching a child to fish i went fishing with my 4 year old grandson it was great at first all excited he was after about 30 mins he asked where are all the fish granddad i tried to explain we have to bait the swim up first then we will catch the fish he soon got borred in went afew pebbles and sandwitches for the ducks and diving gulls next thing he has had enough and home we went and gues what no fish maybe ile have better look with him next time
as this ever hapened to you ?
cheers
ronnie he's a littleangel.gif

MALC

The only rule i applied to both Gemma and Crystal when they wanted to go fishing was that they could SWIM enough to stay afloat for a few seconds at least.

To me the above is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing and the age is irrelevant.

Gemma was 6 before i took her (now 14) and Crystal was 5 (now 6).

Once they can swim take them to a water that is guaranteed fish and only do it on a summers day and dont try to fish yourself also dont exspect them to want to stay for to long.

Gemma would fish all day without any problem when she was about 8 but Crystal this year was happy with about an hour.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

carper2002

'Ronnie'
thanks malc good idea about the swimming these are things you forget when the child pesters to go fishing
all the time and you keep saying when your older then after a while give in and take them with you i will hang fire till the nice summer weather in the mean time
i think i will teach him to swim
thanks for the advice malc
cheers
ronnie
ps:do you think it would be good idea to warn people of these pitfalls as a item on the home page
called (THE PERIRALS OF TEACHING YOUGSTERS TO FISH )

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
....I agree with the swimming. That is most important, but second take them only when they can put their own hooks on and put maggots or bait onto the hook.....that way you will be able to fish as well....LOL.....Merry xmas .....

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

martin.

Account Locked
i`m in agreement with malc .
but dont try to teach them to start with, go to a water that theres plenty of small stuff in equip them with a small say 3 or 4m whip & let them catch fish then while they are catching fish
youll have there interest then you can start teaching them

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Steve

Fortunately I was mainly sea fishing when I taught my kids to fish.
The benefits are :
You can always catch crabs and small fish around the walls of jettys etc. (close supervision is a must preferably with railings between you and the water)
Casting from the beach is a great way to learn.
Falling in off the beach is difficult, even for the most accident prone kid.
There is usually plenty to do when they get board.

The biggest benefit is; when the have stood in the cold for days on end and not seen a sign of anything even resembling a fish, they really appreciate their first 3oz roach coarse fishing and they are hooked. [:D]

A little devious may be, but they are always pestering their mum to let you take them fishing after that [;)]
It worked for me [}:)]

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Let em wear a life jacket and it won't matter if they can swim or not.

Age - well, I started at around 2 I think. Just barely able to hold up a light bamboo pole of around 6 feet.

The keys are
- take them to a venue where they will have immediate and constant action. Size doesn't matter. Just lots of bites.
- expect that the younger they are, the shorter time they will want to stay with the fishing. And the shorter time they can go between bites without getting bored.
- when their attention wanders to other things, go along with it. You are trying to let them enjoy the outing so don't even try to keep them fishing beyond their interest span.
- don't expect with youngsters that you can put in a reasonable session yourself. If you try, you will make them miserable and yourself as well.

If the kids are as old as 4 or 5, consider lure angling. That way the casting will be part of the fun and will keep them occupied even if the fish aren't biting well. You may have to shop US sites to get rigs suited to little hands but the spin-cast rigs are ideal. Almost nothing to go wrong.

Trogg can probably give you more specifics about what is available in the UK. In the US, you can easily get a rig in bright colors with cartoon characters on the reel and with floats that resemble snoopy, mickey mouse, minnie mouse, etc. A complete rig /w rod, reel, line, floats, etc. can be had for around $10-$15 US but you will also have to pay shipping and VAT if you order from here.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.