The Trent... Bobs Island

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Got there at around 6:15(ish) and had a nosey round, but the best pegs had already gone. After looking at other pegs, settled on these 2...

My Peg.

100_1797.JPG

Sly's peg.

100_1798.JPG

It was hard going from the start with me getting a 10lb hook length broken and sly having his rod nearly pulled in, but after that...nothing for quite some time. Sly started picking up some small roach, and I was sat there like a gnome round a garden pond.
Then, I had a brainwave..having no course gear with me, I decided to strip the feeder off one of the Barbel rods and...well..let me put it this way, using 'mag and wag' tactics on a 1.75tc rod, 10lb mainline and 4lb hook length is a tad awkward. I soon started picking up the odd small Roach and Dace with a smattering of Perch though, Sly was doing the same with some more small Roach. My peg went dead, nada, nothing, until one brave Roach went for the maggot on offer, and nearly became a snack for a Pike, now I know why it went dead, I set up the Barbel rods again and had one quick enquiry then nothing for the rest of the afternoon. Sly had a walk over and showed me his hook, it was nearly straight.
I decided to call it quits at around 3 in the afternoon, I'd had enough. One chap had been there since yesterday and had only one Bream for his efforts and that was caught last night. No Barbel caught (except for sly with a small 8 inch 'whisker'). No Chub were caught at all out of about 9 anglers. No Carp made any appearance, it was all the tiny stuff.
I'll leave it there and let @sly make up..err..I mean take up the rest. :whistle: :D

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Hi ukz hard going at the moment with the water being low especially in the daytime but usually get a couple at night ime, hopefully it will improve as the year moves on ,down tomorrow and can't wait as didn't manage to get down last week as I had to find another chariot as the old Faithfull went to the great scrapyard in the sky I was gutted but have to move on.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
the bivvy boys were out in force so we had the last two close pegs left,being the gent i am i gave Pete the choice,given his pod is the size of the QE2 there was no contest really,set tripod up for two rods, pic ,unfortunately unlevel ( more about that later ),maggot feeder on 1,pellet on the other,from the off i was into fish on maggot nowt big pic 2 this carried on most of the day with the odd perch thrown in for variation pic 3,the highlight of the day was catching a barbel it might have been the smallest one i have ever caught but thats not the point pic 4,out of 9 or so anglers i was the only one who caught one so i was a happy bunny :)
Pete with a smile on his face for some strange reason pic 5.
set tripod up unlevel then forgot to straighten it half way through the day cast out put rod on pod forgot to put baitrunner on turns round to get flask turns back rod bent double and being pulled into trent with pod and other rod,makes a grab for everything and ends up in 4" of black gooey mud,unimpressed but a lesson learned :unsure: as a last resort i broke some boilies up and put them in maggot feeder to creat a scent trail,on reflection i should have shortened the hooklink to a few inches another lesson learned,had one big bite on that but lost it.
As a big fish day it was a washout,but as the old saying goes "a bad days fishing is better than a good day in with our lass":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:so i was quite content just to
be out :upthumb:
IMG_20190901_082047.jpg
1567709011774.jpeg

IMG_20190901_113613.jpg
1567707844238.jpeg
1567709049122.jpeg

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pouring a flask of coffee is my number one trick for getting bites.

Total

Site Supporter
@sly ....Well pleased for you having caught your first barbel. Well angled mate. :)(y)

Baldie

That’s one hell of a rod pod, I have seen less scaffolding when working on the third floor of a block of flats!😂😂😂

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That’s one hell of a rod pod, I have seen less scaffolding when working on the third floor of a block of flats!😂😂😂

Oh, it's a good one alright, and that's not fully extended. It's the Prologic Tri-Sky (4 rod version). Standard pod, but comes with 2 long extendable front legs for rivers or beach (included in the package). It's also rock steady and solid but doesn't weigh much at all and comes in it's own carry case.