The tip could go any second (Barbel fishing)

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Welcome, glad you found it helpful. Horses for courses on this one of course. I have tried it and found myself striking at nothing. Equally, you aren't the first i have heard who swear by it and feel it gets them fish when others aren't. (y)

Its on a similar theme to touch ledgering i think, again, plenty who do it, but may be more in some of the smaller rivers or ones with less water on at the time.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I've found that pretty much all of my takes the tip goes round / baitrunner screams off without any prior indication. No knocks or rattles or anything.

I do fish a short hair though, 18mm boilie on a size 10 curve shank hook (ESP Cryogen). with about 5mm between boilie and bend of the hook.

I think most of the knocks and rattles are liners, i myself fish almost exclusively a straight lead now with only PVA bags on the hook for loose feed and get nothing by way of little knocks or rattles compared to when i used to fish a feeder and got loads.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
And i do know rd, that you attach your bag on the lead too (y)

I suspect the above may be due to how a bag largely releases in one hit, where as a feeder will be more gradual, this can sometimes encourage fish to come to the feeder and give those knocks, if they aren't shying off the feeder.

Another variation here on the timing of the bangs and rattles, rather than indications when the bait has been in a while:
When Barbelling and i have had bangs and rattles instantly on the feeder landing, then they stop, then start again immediately following the next cast then stop, to turn out to be Barbel is rare, once only to date and i only proved it to myself by going down to an 18 inch hooklength, did this instantly result in a Barbel, rather than being the suspected and more usually confirmed culprits of smaller silvers as equally as they would attack it on the deck after a while. I wouldn't mind betting that Barbel actually learnt the need to get in on the act, following other species more adapted to feeding mid water, were taking a liking to pellets. Barbel have always been able to do this with fly hatches and will turn upside down midwater to exploit a hatch.

Chuffed with myself that day for making the switch, after reading the tip and the situation, but again, no strike needed. So, based on that lack of frequency of it happening in my 20 or so years of Barbelling and whilst i do know that Barbel will cleverly exploit the feeder emptying too quickly and even mid water sometimes, i feel safer in the knowledge that some of the taps and bangs when the feeder has been in a while could easily be smaller silvers. Sometimes when actually waiting for those indications to stop and not reacting to them, results in a Barbel, as they have pushed out the silvers and the indications go quiet, until that proper indication of the tip hooping over.

What i would have done that day, if i hadn't ran out, was tape up 2/3 the feeder to empty slower (small pellets usually) and keep the hooklength the same, i think i could have achieved the same outcome, proved one thing though, on that day, they didn't care that the thing feeding them was a feeder, but they still knew that it meant trouble, but in exploiting the feed in the manner they were (on the drop mainly), they thought they were able to exploit it safely.

Interesting too to me, that it happened on the Severn, where during the boom years, they used shorten hooklengths right down a couple of inches at times i have heard and read.

Waffling again i know, but i love Barbelling and the thinking it sparks off, but one mantra i have adopted in my Barbelling, is to try and never be in a situation where i am letting the fish get away with it, no matter how surprising it may be in how they are getting away with freebies and specifically where the hookbait is in relation to the freebies. What we do causes the Barbel to learn over time, so trying to be a step ahead of them in having a plan for that next cast and beyond is where i have gone in recent years,

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Good reading above. I fish bomb and loose feed pellet over the top on this particular tree peg with a tight line. I've noticed on occasion some killer line bites. I imagine it to be a similar situation to legering to a far bank or island on a commercial, the fish have more chance of swimming into your line.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I bet you get the indication almost instantly after feeding too. Not just on stillwaters a few over the top sparks something. Barbel wise, i have fed a few pellets and got a take in minutes sometimes.