The story of a NOOB - help and advice needed please

Total

Site Supporter
Can't you see what she has done? Already she has infected the forum... Be afraid, the madness has only just begun and I have to live with this!
:eek:
Great banter. Though I'm sleeping in the shed tonight...

Munchy

Mrs M's 'madness' is always welcome in our forum....;).....While in the 'shed' tonight, please sort out the gear for your HER next fishing trip!....Sweet dreams! :love::D

Just fixed it for you - Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Put a pair of latex disposable gloves on, then put another pair over the top. Keeps your hands dry, out of the wind and the air trapped between them warms up and keeps your hands warm. It’s what I do at work in winter. But not so bulky or restrictive that you can’t thread maggots, trap the line or adjust depth etc.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
As i said earlier I am doing a service to society by keeping Mrs Munch away from some other poor soul(s). She believes that the heart is just a muscle and by either hiding and jumping out on me when I least suspect it or putting her frozen cold hands on me makes my heart stronger! Just yesterday she tried to feed my anus frozen peas whilst making Sunday / Monday Lunch... :eek: Somehow In her mind this is good for me and I should be thanking her.
I'm an easy going guy, I really am but she needs no encouragement from you bloody lot!
Already I have lost all my gear, need to buy another car and am expected to take and collect her from a fishery of her choice.
All I ever wanted was a quiet life, I right royally cocked that up!!

Munchy
Peas....????
Be grateful it wasnt cauliflower.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
As i said earlier I am doing a service to society by keeping Mrs Munch away from some other poor soul(s). She believes that the heart is just a muscle and by either hiding and jumping out on me when I least suspect it or putting her frozen cold hands on me makes my heart stronger! Just yesterday she tried to feed my anus frozen peas whilst making Sunday / Monday Lunch... :eek: Somehow In her mind this is good for me and I should be thanking her.
I'm an easy going guy, I really am but she needs no encouragement from you bloody lot!
Already I have lost all my gear, need to buy another car and am expected to take and collect her from a fishery of her choice.
All I ever wanted was a quiet life, I right royally cocked that up!!

Munchy

You can have the quiet life mate, if its only on here ya communicate put her on Ignore (y)

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
So, as a couple of you know I have just started out with this fishing malarkey thanks to @MunchMyStump. I have been out 3 times so far and don't think I'm doing too badly. I currently hold the record for the worlds smallest fish (think my hook was bigger) and the most beautiful (a full scaled mirror). I know, not exactly the best records but I need to add something to my bow. 🙈
Here's a low down of what I've done so far and the problems I'm having. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. BTW, I don't know most of the fishing lingo yet so please bear with me.

First time out we went to None go by farm's beginners pond for under 16's. Although I'm one, two or nearly 30 years older, the owners were fine with us fishing there and were actually the ones that suggested it as you get 10 a penny fish so a great starter pond. Mr. Munch did most things for me to start with such as maggots and unhooking and he started off casting for me.
We started catching some nice small fish from the off. Had some nice, albeit small roach, perch, mirrors and I did end up with a 1lbish F1 (which happened to be the biggest fish of the day) Mr. Munch did try to teach me to side cast later in the day which I couldn't get the hang of properly and if Mr. Munch told me to flick the rod one more time I would have flicked him in the darn drink. lolz! I were rather frustrated with this method as more often than not I just couldn't get it right. I did also have problems with my finger reaching the spool while casting. My hands are way too small but they make the Mr. feel big so I suppose they have an advantage :oops:. That been said I did really enjoy it. It's just a good job the Mr. is patient.

Second time out we went to the same place and same pond but different place. I had now bought my own cheap as chips 10ft rod as Mr. Munch's was just too big (not often he hears me tell him that :sneaky:). I also bought a new reel which was smaller so I could reach the spool with my finger. I fished the open water in front of us and the Mr. fished off to side. I had practiced casting over the shoulder on the field outside our house and I got on with that method better than the other. Although, when we got to the pond I had complete forgot how to do it. So, the good the old patient Mr. had to reshow me. I still struggled half the time but I were casting on my own and threading my own maggots (yes I know its hooking but I always end up saying threading 🤦‍♀️).The Mr. helped me net as I'm all fingers and thumbs and he did the unhook tool thingy if/when needed. We swapped places near the end of the day as I were struggling with my casting in the more open water and could never get it in the same spot. So now fishing with a bank in front of me for some reason I were getting it more often than not. I'd had a very slow start to the day compared to the Mr. but once again I got the biggest fish, at just about 1.5lbs but as a starter happy days! In your face Mr. Munch. It was very good day with plenty of fish caught and I felt more confident.

Third trip we decided to go to Tom's pond as they've filled it with Rainbows. Was slightly nervous about leaving my little beginners pond but what the hey! In for a penny in for a pound and all that. I did most the set up myself with the Mr. just helping with the hook part at the end and I were off fishing while he set himself up. Again! I had trouble casting and couldn't quite get it right so I didn't bother to bait and didn't bother with fishing to one spot. I figured I'd get the hang of it again then do it right but I were catching Rainbows from the off. Happy bloody days! The Mr. still hadn't set up and I were catching another and another. He was finally set up and fishing and still I were catching but no luck for him. Who needs rules and tricks of the trade?! The Mr. ended up catching a few smaller fish. He finally hooked on to a rainbow but let it go, at the same time I hooked and netted one "This is how you do it darling!" :ROFLMAO: After that he decided that if you can't beat them, join them. He started fishing a bit closer to me and not so much in the same spot as he was doing before and he set off catching too . To his credit he did catch up with the amount of fish and did in the end get the biggest of the day. I did get better at the casting throughout the day but had times when I just couldn't get it right. I were now netting myself too but do struggle with it. I just couldn't use the unhook tool thingy for when they took the hook too far down. So, the poor patient Mr. had "darling help me!" every 15 minutes and I had his "you need to strike sooner" in my ear!!! Yes darling, trying!!! 🤬 lolz. All in all I was very pleased with how it went. Another good day and fish aplenty.

If you got this far in reading this then you'll be pleased to know I've almost finished 🥴.Just looking for help and advice now please.

The problems I have firstly casting to same spot, is this something that you just get the hang of in time or does anyone have any tips? I do try and pick a spot I try to hit every time but half the time I miss, so spend my life recasting (I will get it right, damn it)!

The second one is nets. The Mr. did get a lighter weight one but the handle is just too long and his old one is too heavy in the water. I'm only 5ft 3 so I need something small, lightweight and easy for a dwarf to manage. In the words of @Dave , anything that would match my dress and handbag would be an advantage too lolz.

Seating - as a woman and spending my days on my hands and knees scrubbing floors etc. 😉 and leaning over cookers and sinks all my life. My back is not a happy thing. I've tried sitting on the Mr.'s box :oops: but it's no good so I currently take a padded fold up chair but its not very practical. I need a back rest and something fairly comfy to keep my rumpa happy.

Cold hands - much to the Mr.'s horror when I forever put my cold hands up under his top. :devilish: I always have cold hands but we are hoping to still go out fishing in the colder months so I could do with some kind of gloves that won't interfere with my fishing, obviously waterproof too.

Finally, I'm looking for a small box that I can make my own little kit up in. I tend to be a stickler for routine and like to stick to the same equipment so doesn't need to have loads of space for 50 million set ups.

Any help and advice on the above or anything else is also greatly appreciated. And well done for getting to the end of my drivel!

Thanks muchly
Mrs Munch
Mrs M, cracking sense of humour!

JayD

I have been informed from a reliable source, not personal experience, that the 'hot air' emanating from a gathering of MDers can raise the temperature around a fishery by several degrees, and on at least one occasion has cleared the ice from a 2 acre fishery in less than 30 minutes!
I was also told that the down side is that the sudden rise in temperature can cause some members to strip down to the bare essentials, and walk round the fishery showing everyone their tackle.
If you want to keep warm Mrs M, and have a strong stomach, then this may be one solution to your problem.

John.

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
I have been informed from a reliable source, not personal experience, that the 'hot air' emanating from a gathering of MDers can raise the temperature around a fishery by several degrees, and on at least one occasion has cleared the ice from a 2 acre fishery in less than 30 minutes!
I was also told that the down side is that the sudden rise in temperature can cause some members to strip down to the bare essentials, and walk round the fishery showing everyone their tackle.
If you want to keep warm Mrs M, and have a strong stomach, then this may be one solution to your problem.

John.
Hmmmm! Think I'd be happier fishing a hole in the ice at the North pole naked!!! 🙈 My stomach just ain't as strong as it used to be.