The story of a NOOB - help and advice needed please

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
So, as a couple of you know I have just started out with this fishing malarkey thanks to @MunchMyStump. I have been out 3 times so far and don't think I'm doing too badly. I currently hold the record for the worlds smallest fish (think my hook was bigger) and the most beautiful (a full scaled mirror). I know, not exactly the best records but I need to add something to my bow. 🙈
Here's a low down of what I've done so far and the problems I'm having. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. BTW, I don't know most of the fishing lingo yet so please bear with me.

First time out we went to None go by farm's beginners pond for under 16's. Although I'm one, two or nearly 30 years older, the owners were fine with us fishing there and were actually the ones that suggested it as you get 10 a penny fish so a great starter pond. Mr. Munch did most things for me to start with such as maggots and unhooking and he started off casting for me.
We started catching some nice small fish from the off. Had some nice, albeit small roach, perch, mirrors and I did end up with a 1lbish F1 (which happened to be the biggest fish of the day) Mr. Munch did try to teach me to side cast later in the day which I couldn't get the hang of properly and if Mr. Munch told me to flick the rod one more time I would have flicked him in the darn drink. lolz! I were rather frustrated with this method as more often than not I just couldn't get it right. I did also have problems with my finger reaching the spool while casting. My hands are way too small but they make the Mr. feel big so I suppose they have an advantage :oops:. That been said I did really enjoy it. It's just a good job the Mr. is patient.

Second time out we went to the same place and same pond but different place. I had now bought my own cheap as chips 10ft rod as Mr. Munch's was just too big (not often he hears me tell him that :sneaky:). I also bought a new reel which was smaller so I could reach the spool with my finger. I fished the open water in front of us and the Mr. fished off to side. I had practiced casting over the shoulder on the field outside our house and I got on with that method better than the other. Although, when we got to the pond I had complete forgot how to do it. So, the good the old patient Mr. had to reshow me. I still struggled half the time but I were casting on my own and threading my own maggots (yes I know its hooking but I always end up saying threading 🤦‍♀️).The Mr. helped me net as I'm all fingers and thumbs and he did the unhook tool thingy if/when needed. We swapped places near the end of the day as I were struggling with my casting in the more open water and could never get it in the same spot. So now fishing with a bank in front of me for some reason I were getting it more often than not. I'd had a very slow start to the day compared to the Mr. but once again I got the biggest fish, at just about 1.5lbs but as a starter happy days! In your face Mr. Munch. It was very good day with plenty of fish caught and I felt more confident.

Third trip we decided to go to Tom's pond as they've filled it with Rainbows. Was slightly nervous about leaving my little beginners pond but what the hey! In for a penny in for a pound and all that. I did most the set up myself with the Mr. just helping with the hook part at the end and I were off fishing while he set himself up. Again! I had trouble casting and couldn't quite get it right so I didn't bother to bait and didn't bother with fishing to one spot. I figured I'd get the hang of it again then do it right but I were catching Rainbows from the off. Happy bloody days! The Mr. still hadn't set up and I were catching another and another. He was finally set up and fishing and still I were catching but no luck for him. Who needs rules and tricks of the trade?! The Mr. ended up catching a few smaller fish. He finally hooked on to a rainbow but let it go, at the same time I hooked and netted one "This is how you do it darling!" :ROFLMAO: After that he decided that if you can't beat them, join them. He started fishing a bit closer to me and not so much in the same spot as he was doing before and he set off catching too . To his credit he did catch up with the amount of fish and did in the end get the biggest of the day. I did get better at the casting throughout the day but had times when I just couldn't get it right. I were now netting myself too but do struggle with it. I just couldn't use the unhook tool thingy for when they took the hook too far down. So, the poor patient Mr. had "darling help me!" every 15 minutes and I had his "you need to strike sooner" in my ear!!! Yes darling, trying!!! 🤬 lolz. All in all I was very pleased with how it went. Another good day and fish aplenty.

If you got this far in reading this then you'll be pleased to know I've almost finished 🥴.Just looking for help and advice now please.

The problems I have firstly casting to same spot, is this something that you just get the hang of in time or does anyone have any tips? I do try and pick a spot I try to hit every time but half the time I miss, so spend my life recasting (I will get it right, damn it)!

The second one is nets. The Mr. did get a lighter weight one but the handle is just too long and his old one is too heavy in the water. I'm only 5ft 3 so I need something small, lightweight and easy for a dwarf to manage. In the words of @Dave , anything that would match my dress and handbag would be an advantage too lolz.

Seating - as a woman and spending my days on my hands and knees scrubbing floors etc. 😉 and leaning over cookers and sinks all my life. My back is not a happy thing. I've tried sitting on the Mr.'s box :oops: but it's no good so I currently take a padded fold up chair but its not very practical. I need a back rest and something fairly comfy to keep my rumpa happy.

Cold hands - much to the Mr.'s horror when I forever put my cold hands up under his top. :devilish: I always have cold hands but we are hoping to still go out fishing in the colder months so I could do with some kind of gloves that won't interfere with my fishing, obviously waterproof too.

Finally, I'm looking for a small box that I can make my own little kit up in. I tend to be a stickler for routine and like to stick to the same equipment so doesn't need to have loads of space for 50 million set ups.

Any help and advice on the above or anything else is also greatly appreciated. And well done for getting to the end of my drivel!

Thanks muchly
Mrs Munch

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nicely worded :D

Re casting, try casting underarm to start off with. Most of the venues don't require a long cast and it's a lot harder to be accurate fishing near in with an overhead or side cast.
Underhand casting just requires a bit of weight to get it right, far too many people fish too light and then end up flicking the float to get the distance resulting in tangles. Set your float to the depth you need, put a couple of shot either side of the float to lock it in place, and spread the remaining shot down the line like buttons.
Hold the hooklength with your left hand, assuming right-handed, keep the line tight and point the rod where you want the float to land.
Lift the rod sharply in a smooth motion and release the hooklength once the rod is in roughly the 10'clock position, keep lifting the rod until the float is cast forward and then lower the rod release the trapped line at the reel and point the rod again at where you want the float to land.
The trick is not to let the line go slack.

It takes a bit of practice but once you've got it right it'll come naturally, your distance will improve, and you'll be able to use lighter floats.
It's all about balancing your tackle, 6 ft depth - 12ft rod, long cast - heavier float, light tackle - light rod, heavy tackle - heavier rod

satinet

You can trap the line between the rod when casting rather than fingering the spool.

Casting. Not sure. With my Mrs I told her to sit bang square to the target and bring the rod back behind squarr. Then send the rod straight to where you're aiming. It can be quite mechanical but you can't really miss on direction. A

nejohn

Site Supporter
Daves suggestion is perfect to learn tackle control and once confident then move on to longer over head casts, one thing I would add is just before the float hits the water use your finger to slow the line down a little, not too much pressure just enough to slow it down and straighten the line out, this will go a long way to stopping you getting into tangles. Don't try to cast to the horizon as if you are fishing smallish ponds the fish will more than likely only be a couple of rod lengths out from the bank, especially if there are features like lily beds, underwater shelves etc. Just concentrate on getting a few fish on the bank with minimal effort to begin with, you could even think about investing in a cheap whip so you don't have to worry about a reel it would just be a flick of the whip each time. If you are fishing the feeder again an underarm lob will work but don't try to cast to far as it will only end in tangles.
As for a lightweight landing net I would suggest the 2.8m Tri-cast xrs handle it is very light and slim but won't break the bank and if you look at something like a Leeda concept GT or Daiwa Lumalight net it should be easily managable

bettsfan

What a lovely read and its nice to hear of Mr & Mrs Munch's bank exploits.

Dave is spot on with the casting issues and what I would add is do not try to cast really hard as it will lose accuracy. A soft gentle rhythm keeping the rod as vertical as possible is the way to go.

Hands? Either some finger-less neoprene or , as one that doesn't really suffer with this a Pocket Warmer. A Coat with fleece lined pockets is also a must have in my book.

Seats/Fishing Box? Any chair that is comfortable for you is sufficient, it doesn't need to be a 'fancy dan' Fishing Chair. Try as many as you can, not knowing how level the banks are where you are both fishing you may need to look at adjustable legs (on the Chair and not on you!) Perhaps a visit to a Tackle Shop to try chairs, you could also look at a Holdall rather than a box to male your own little kit in.

And lastly, if Mr Munch has kit/equipment that you like and get on with, then nick it and tell him to get his own :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
..seriously though, regarding Gloves, you'll probably need Partially finger-less (usually index finger and middle finger) or full finger-less ones - you can get them in Neoprene which is reasonably water resistant and warm.

Although you may find it hard to get them in a small size (as Covid has decimated stock levels) as from your posts, i'm gathering you're quite petite.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
With casting, if you are struggling then try going to a field with a small bomb weight on the end of the line, roughly equivalent to the weight of your usual float and shot, and practice casting to a target. It really pays off when you get to fish for real again.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Leeds or such like neoprene gloves, get the ones with the end of your forefinger and thumb exposed. Get the tight git 😏to get you a take apart landing net handle, then you will probably only need 2 sections of it, so lighter. Then get him to buy you a nice used seat box and put a Preston swivel seat with backrest on it. He knows all about this stuff, he’s just seeing if your serious before buying you untold pressies, or he’s saving all his money to buy better kit for himself, especially if you keep catching more and bigger fish than him. You may have to use those small hands to persuade him, 🥰 but I’m sure you will get there in the end. As for the casting thing, get him to buy you an expensive pole.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Casting. Have a read of the first part of the following blog entry of mine. Its based on feeder fishing but the techniques apply to floats as well.

And this video of the underarm cast technique I use with feeders.

Net handles. They come in 2, 3 & 4 metre lengths normally. A take apart handle can be used at any length, as can a telescopic if you untelescope the wider sections. If Mr is trying to get you to use the handle at 3 or 4m then try removing a section and using it at 2/3m.

Everyone that fishes in the cooler months will get cold hands. Wet hands and wind will chill the skin down quickly. First off use a towel to dry your hands when they get wet. I tie a towel round my waist so it is handy. As for gloves, I cannot get on with neoprene and so use just plain woolen/knitted fingerless gloves. They are not waterproof and so I do one of two things. I either remove the glove to unhook a fish, dry the hand and replace after. if it is raining I just let the gloves get wet. They will still keep your hands warm by keeping the wind off.

You could try using thin latex/rubber surgical type gloves. Even that thin layer helps with wind chill on wet hands.

Box/seat. First thing to check is that the box is the correct height for you and is set up level. I use a small spirit level to check the seat is set right. When seated knees should be at around 90 degrees. Some have found that back strain is eased by tilting the seat slightly forward so that the legs brace the body to a small degree.

Maver do an entry level box as part of their Reality range. £125.

New Maver Reality Seat Box R100, Coarse Fishing Seat Box | eBay

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Thank you all so much for your help and advice. It really is appreciated although the Mr. Is rolling his eyes wondering how much this is all going to cost him. Lolz 🤣 oh dear! 🙈

The neoprene gloves look good so will check them out although I think I could do with an electric blanket too. ⛄

Think I'll get the net handles where you can adjust the length as i can then find the length to suit me and the Mr. Can use it too when he goes off gallivanting while I'm at work (how rude!) I'm sure the patient Mr. Won't mind me calling on him every two minutes if needed though .🤣

I do enjoy the overhead casting it's just the accuracy I need to work on. I've now got a reel where I can reach the spool and the Mr. has mentioned about slowing down the line but that all went over my head. It's something I'll work on when I'm not all fingers and thumbs. I am getting there but it's a slow process.

I have just been talking to the Mr. about the underarm cast and the method regarding this. It is something we talked about before at pond side but he lost me with it. He's explained it a bit better now and will be something I'll practice once I get the hang of the overhead a bit more. I just don't want to learn too much too soon and end up with a head explosion. (I am blonde so it doesn't take much 😫).

I'm still not sure if I want a separate box and chair or one combined. I have a local bobco that we should have bought shares in recently with the amount of money we've spent and see what I prefer.

Bailey's is calling so I thank you all again and I bid you goodnight. It's an early 5:30am morning for me tomorrow. 😭

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If you going to Bobco, does May Potter still work there?

She is a great match fisher and could help you from a female perspective on gear, i'm lead to believe that @Wise Owl 's Albert (doggy) is a favourite of her's.

@Wise Owl is May still there?

Yeah she's still there and twice a Lovely, always asks how Albert is and very pleasant. Mind you all who work there are its a pleasure to visit.

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Thank you all (mostly) for your help and advice. I'm not sure about her nicking my gear though, there is a limit to my patience!
Now I do have to give credit where it is due and say that Mrs Munch has done better than I could have hoped. Yes there are casting problems and trying to explain what swooshing is and why it's bad again, will only get be a backhander at best or an early cold bath... :oops:
We ( I ) came back to coarse far too late in the season really but we will get out when the weather gods allow and I shall keep on encouraging and no doubt unhooking all the fish :rolleyes:
At this rate not only am I going to end up with no gear left but I will need to buy a bigger car to get all her gear in!!, drop her off for a session and pick her up when she is done...

Munchy

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
At this rate not only am I going to end up with no gear left but I will need to buy a bigger car to get all her gear in!!, drop her off for a session and pick her up when she is done...

Munchy

... and congratulations team MDers, i feel, our work here is done!

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter

Munchy
As soon as I can disgorger then that's exactly what you'll be doing. Don't worry tho sweet. You'll see the benefits. You'll have some peace and quiet while you cook me my tea!!! 😉