The Saga of Mugger's Rive D36.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Which locking pin is it Peter as I've a new pair and one half of a pair, again new?
It's one of these unfortunately Dave. It needs the complete catch. :(

cassette locking catch.jpg

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
nice one @Peter almost looks factory fresh!
Thank you Mark,
The one thing that I really consciously tried to avoid when refurbing the box was turning it into a "clone", if I'm honest I find them rather tacky.
It would have been all to easy to powder coat the frame a lairy colour, fit an aftermarket seat to look like a branded box but why the hell would you?
If a brand wanted to pay me enough to advertise for them then they would want me to use a genuine one of theirs anyway.
As it stands today it probably actually stands out far more on the bank amongst all the clone and branded versions around. 😂

scuttster

Site Supporter
Thank you Mark,
The one thing that I really consciously tried to avoid when refurbing the box was turning it into a "clone", if I'm honest I find them rather tacky.
It would have been all to easy to powder coat the frame a lairy colour, fit an aftermarket seat to look like a branded box but why the hell would you?
If a brand wanted to pay me enough to advertise for them then they would want me to use a genuine one of theirs anyway.
As it stands today it probably actually stands out far more on the bank amongst all the clone and branded versions around. 😂

I know what you mean about it standing out more than a clone or branded ones. In fact I would say if stands out for it’s originality and the fact that it is subtle (if something can stand out for being subtle!).

myself I have a d25 xt451 which I’ve had for 15 years. Benefit of that on is silver trays, legs and footplate so no worries about paint!

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Great work... I am following with interest.

I saw these on evilPay, might be an option?

You don’t need them. I was looking at those, but bought some sticky , grippy strips instead. I’ll take a photo tomorrow.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Done a fantastic job and it looks like a stunning box too - certain you’re going to have a load of enjoyment from it

gixer 13

Site Supporter
Nice job Peter looks like new.it will not stay like that once you have used it a few times :) :). I have the guru rive stealth for comercials and a matchbox/ri e for the rivers both just black looks good mate

Boggis51

tailgunner
Site Supporter
Great job Peter, the satisfaction from a job well done is good for the soul. Nice to see in this throw away society we live in today.
I look forward to seeing you and the "throne" at Alders in late July/August.
Now go and catch some fish!!!!🐟🐟🐟.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Joking apart @Peter you have made a cracking job of that, obviously a labour of love and I hope it serves you well for many years to come.👌

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Joking apart @Peter you have made a cracking job of that, obviously a labour of love and I hope it serves you well for many years to come.👌
Thanks Dave :upthumb: As I think I mentioned It will be an ongoing project with bits and bobs done to it as time goes on as I get used to it, doubtless with a few additions and modifications along the way and as they come about I'll probably post them to this thread to share them with the members.
If I'm honest I don't think I've every had a seatbox that I could say hand on heart that I've been 100% happy with, there's always been something that I've wanted to change on them to make them just that little bit better, that little bit more suited to me personally.
Seatboxes are a very individual thing at the end of the day and what suits one person won't necessarily suit another, but hopefully threads like this and @Dave 's one where he detailed his refurb of an original model D36 that may just be of help to people thinking of doing something similar with their own boxes and provide a bit of inspiration.