The River Windrush, Burford Angling Club, Oxon

wagnmag

April the beginning of the season on the Windrush, good luck to our fly fishermen who may fish from now on, day tickets available from Orvis, 80 High Street, Burford, OX18 4QF or membership application forms are available from Sandra and Jack Swallow, burfordanglingclub@outlook.com or 3 Meadow End, Fulbrook, Burford,OX18 4BQ. The conditions on the river today are very good, there is quite a pace and its running very clear so enjoy yourselves....

wagnmag

Its nice to see our fly fishermen on the river while its the closed season for our coarse anglers some of whom are still fishing on the Oxford Canal and on local lakes just to keep their hand in!!

wagnmag

The new season on the river has started, there have been some great bags of fish already so a good start to the year, we look forward to seeing you all enjoying your time on the river

wagnmag

Further to a query from a member with regard to the write up at the beginning of this forum we would like to clarify that we felt it necessary to change one of the rules of the club so we no longer allow any trout to be taken home as the water is not artificially stocked so we have a catch and release policy and this lets someone else have the pleasure of catching the same fish another day.

Hope you are all enjoying the new season...

wagnmag

It was the Cotswold Cup today on the Thames at Clanfield, Shipston on Stour won and we came second, a good day was had by all, breakfast butty to start the day off for our team and a few others who joined in!! Roll on the next one in a years time

wagnmag

For anyone that likes to fish the bottom sewer hole - the fallen tree has now been removed, enjoy your fishing

wagnmag

We would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and look forward to seeing anglers old and new in 2017 with Best Wishes from Burford Angling Club

Pickard1

Hi. Are day tickets still available from the Orvis shop as per the first post? I will be in the area this week and may try and have a go.

I've never caught a grayling before - is there a chance of this?

Pickard1

I had my trip through Burford today. I can confirm that the tickets are for sale in Orvis. The fella in there that sold me the ticket was very helpful, giving me a map of the sections and explaining the access points.

The river was a nice green colour, I'd guess that it was a bit more coloured than normal, although according to the EA website the recent rain hadn't put the level up.
I gave it a couple of hours on the very downstream section, which is accessed through the bottom gate of the town car park. I took a 12ft float rod with a stick float and a 8ft bomb rod with a small kamasan black cap feeder. Bait wise I just had a couple of pints of maggots.

I had a decent fish come off second trot down, then nothing more in that swim. Or the next swim, or the next. Eventually I started getting a few fish. Two small brownies in one swim. Then a small Grayling. The fish seemed quite nervous. In the last swim I put my net in, to see if returning the fish was contributing to the skittishness. I had another couple of trout, a dace and a grayling in the last 30 mins in this swim.

wagnmag

Hi Pickard1

Sorry for the late reply, glad you had a reasonable bag including your grayling, we hope you will join us again some time soon, we are also on facebook as Burford Angling Club. Thank you for your feedback it is very much appreciated, Best Wishes from B.A.C

wagnmag

Hello to all you coarse anglers, hope you enjoy the last week of the season as the last day to fish is 14th March (Closed season 15th March to 15th June for coarse anglers).
Hello and good luck to all you fly fishermen as your season begins on 1st April, day tickets from Orvis, 80 High Street, Burford, OX18 4QF or membership enquiries and application forms from Jack and Sandra Swallow e-mail: burfordanglingclub@outlook.com or 3 Meadow End, Fulbrook, Burford, OX18 4BQ.
We hope you all have a great season!!

wagnmag

Good morning to all the coarse fishermen enjoy your seasons fishing, I have had a good mornings fishing on the Windrush in the cap park in Burford from 5am til 11am, caught roach, dace, gudgeon, rudd, trout and minnows - a really good bag for the first morning, will be going back tonight...

wagnmag

We hope you have all had a great Christmas and we wish you all a Happy New Year and look forward to perhaps bumping into you on the river in the coming months... Jack and Sandra

wagnmag

Only 3 days left of this season, enjoy it while you can... closed season 15th March to 31st March then fly fishing only from 1st April to 15th June

wagnmag

Nearly there folks... coarse fishing in 9 days... can't wait... see you on the bank, Jack, Lewis and all our members

wagnmag

We would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, the river is fishing very well at the moment, the cold weather has brought the roach on, they are in shoals so can still be elusive but worth a visit over the holidays - day tickets available at Orvis on the High Street in Burford, Good Luck Jack, Sandra x and Lewis and all our members

wagnmag

Good Morning - Mayfly - fly fishing - you will be pleased to hear that we had a good hatch of mayfly yesterday evening so let battle commence, membership applications are available by e-mailing burfordanglingclub@outlook.com, sorry there are no day tickets at present only membership until further notice (Adult £30 membership) Have a great time on the river but please keep to the 15 metres between fishermen and social distance at all times with members of the public - Keep safe, Stay alert!!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Hi, what is the access to the river like please, ? I have some nerve damage in one of my legs and find it difficult to walk long distances,
Do they still do disabled membership or oap membership. ? I am in a club that is affiliated to the ODAA. it's a good idea.more clubs should do something like that.

wagnmag

Coarse fishing - only a few days to go... can't wait... Tuesday 16th June, please see the Angling Trust website for advice on keeping safe and alert during this difficult time, Jack, Lewis and all our members