the rabbit hole of wanting to buy/fish a pole for the 1st time

g1bbo71

So as an ex sea/carp/general fisher person I fancy giving match fishing a go, probably some local ish Opens next year, No kids at home now, work is mon-friday so feel like I can commit to giving it a go at weekends before the body says no (only approaching 51 but definitely have a few niggles haha)

I have only ever fished rod and line (and handlines as a nipper). So looking at purchasing a pole and the required equipment to go with it and then giving it some severe practice to hone the skills and hopefully enjoying the challenge.. I do consider myself a competent rod and line andgler, this season has been focussed on method, bomb and pellet wag at commercials and done well from a pleasure angling sense.

What would be a good starter setup, I am thinking something like the preston 10m margin pole but I do fish a snake type lake fairly regularly which is 13m so would it be better going for that length straight away? Also pole rollers, socks etc. Its such a minefield lol.

Money isnt an issue per se but as I may not fully get into it whats the bare minimum to fish effectively and comfortably at a sensible price? I wont yet go into elastics etc yet, see I said it was a minefield.

Thanks in advance

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
It doesnt matter which way you go. Buy a 10m , love it and then get a 13 m to fish the far bank. Or, get a 13m love it and buy a heavier margin pole for the beasties. Good luck...and enjoy.
Why not go with a mate and try their set up. Get talked through the basics then you can make an educated choice?

g1bbo71

sadly they are just out and out carp fisherman, I gave that up and sold all my gear to go back to general coarse fishing & have definitely found my love for fishing again

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
sadly they are just out and out carp fisherman, I gave that up and sold all my gear to go back to general coarse fishing & have definitely found my love for fishing again
Bit far from me sir, otherwise you could have come along to our teach ins. Getting a few adults now with the juniors🤣

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
To be honest I would forget the margin pole and go for a 13m or longer if that is the venue you are targeting. Most modern poles can cope with margin fish and how many matches will you see a competitor with both set up? Having a suitable power top matched to the right strength elastic and line is the way the vast majority will go. When you start off don't go straight out to 13m, start way shorter, perhaps 5m and get used to shipping and unshipping gradually build up to the full length. Most of all enjoy it!

g1bbo71

thanks, I think that makes sense as the venue I am most likely to fish matches and practice on.

Is there such a thing as a good budget 13m pole? obviously the preston margin is around 180 so I assume it will be a lot more for 13m, second hand maybe the way to go.. I will look at 13m models from past gen and see whats about.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
As others have said before. Get a Margin pole. They are strong and will take a bit more stick while you find your feet. One thing you may want to consider is to buy a Margin pole from a manufacturer that has the same size topkits on all, or most of their poles, so when/if you do decide to get a longer pole all the topkits will be interchangeable.

Mothy1965

Site Supporter
I bought 2nd hand, a Maver Carp Elite 13m and I fish mostly at 5/10 m. I got it for ÂŁ150 with 4 x top kits (all with pullers) and a cupping kit.
It got me started and is still going strong

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I got an older model Preston 13.5m with 4 top kits for £60 but to date haven’t fished it beyond 6m because I’ve lot needed to.

It’s not super light but is rated to 20 elastic and will stop pretty much anything yet I can finesse silvers out with it as required.

If you go down this route then you will be able to develop your pole skills without breaking the bank with a pole that will withstand inexperienced handling without fear of cracks or chips that come with lighter & more delicate poles.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I'd go 2nd hand for a pole thats at least 13m with as many top kits as you can, and a cupping kit ( though these are easy to make with universal kits) - Probably go for something that is 'carp' orientated and will take elastics up to 18/20

- Most of the Middy XT range ( good prices) fit this & top kits all interchange. Obviously budget plays a part and if you are new you are more likely to chip / break a section so spares need to be ideally available OR jot cost the earth !! ( some spares are disproportionately really expensive)

Youll get loads of recommendations ( like mine) and 'buy cheap buy twice' brigade but depends on you upgrade ability in the medium term.

I fished last weekend and dusted off a really old Shimano Technium pole ( maybe 100-150 on ebay) and its still a great pole up to 9/.10m, and beat the guys i was with at - shaving a few grams off a pole weight wont catch you more fish :)

I think the thing i read first on your thread was 'opens' - Most open matches ( near me anyway) have people who fish the venues regularly and some ' experts' in the mix too - most of the same 2/3 names winning / framing every week - With no disrespect you'd be better joining a local club for their matches where the competition might be less fierce - Matches aren't cheap - bait / fuel / pools / entry fees etc etc - turning up to effectively know unless theres a major blip you arent going to win / be anywhere near can drain the spirit :)

Obvious point ( if you haven't used a pole before) - Pole rests / rollers / the kit you use to make yourself comfortable is as important as the pole itself - Sitting holding a top end pole isn't as easy if you cant ship back / rest your kit etc - Comfort means more time in the water - A top end / great pole wont produce if the other stuff isnt right....

Easiest way to learn is watch someone and ask questions then fish with your own kit while they watch you etc - I took my lad on Sunday and its amazing what you ' dont know you know' and a newbie wouldnt see or understand why you did something etc - the nuances of shot patterns / plumbing depth / hooks / bait

Really hope you do well and get the pole you feel is right for you - Good Luck

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I would suggest having a read of my blog on the subject of starting pole fishing. Many have commenrted favourably on it.

I cover buying your first pole in section 2

g1bbo71

thanks all great advice and all duly noted and I have dabbled with your blog already Neiil but will definitely give it a revisit. |Also well done on that its a very good resource.

Regarding fishing Opens, it will only be at a small complex and more for the competition with myself. It wont be every week but now I dont do any competitive sports (unless online gaming classed as a sport) I definitely miss that buzz. I totally get the regulars/venue experts but I guess even they had to be a beginner at some point :)

one other point, I use a Preston Absolute 36 chair with footplate, I think this will be fine as can add all required attachments or would I be better with a seatbox specifically when pole fishing?

Apologies for all the questions, the title is very apt haha.

adriang

Site Supporter
I'd go 2nd hand for a pole thats at least 13m with as many top kits as you can, and a cupping kit ( though these are easy to make with universal kits) - Probably go for something that is 'carp' orientated and will take elastics up to 18/20
I suggest this.... otherwise I'd suggest avoiding getting something that doesn't have spares readily available or they are difficult to get hold of. If you are fishing matches, you'll want a few spares set up behind you to enable you to ring the changes, fish different lines, etc.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
thanks all great advice and all duly noted and I have dabbled with your blog already Neiil but will definitely give it a revisit. |Also well done on that its a very good resource.

Regarding fishing Opens, it will only be at a small complex and more for the competition with myself. It wont be every week but now I dont do any competitive sports (unless online gaming classed as a sport) I definitely miss that buzz. I totally get the regulars/venue experts but I guess even they had to be a beginner at some point :)

one other point, I use a Preston Absolute 36 chair with footplate, I think this will be fine as can add all required attachments or would I be better with a seatbox specifically when pole fishing?

Apologies for all the questions, the title is very apt haha.
Id suggest a seatbox purely for shipping in and out but confess i havent used the absolute chair. - All the questions are valid mate - No daft questions !

:)

Cuprajake

as someone who got into pole fishing only recently, id say skip the margin pole,

i had the 8.5m edge, then the 10m edge and you always want that little bit more, ive just got the browning 2exs 13m package, ÂŁ400 i think i paid, they were a ÂŁ1200 pole its perfect for what i need,

i would say that the edge monster is a bargin for ÂŁ180 and really well made, even the preston riggs are good,

Don’tTellEmYourName

Site Supporter
I was in a similar situation last year. Bought a Middy White Knuckle CX 6 metre to give pole fishing a go. Then having decided it was for me I paid £90 for a second hand Preston Pro Type 13 metre pole. At first 13 metres was rather a handful but I’ve got the hang of it now. I still use the Middy especially when it’s really windy.
I’m glad I’ve bought cheap and robust poles to learn with. Shipping 13 metres out with flickering the contents of a small pot out is an art. 🤗

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I was in a similar situation last year. Bought a Middy White Knuckle CX 6 metre to give pole fishing a go. Then having decided it was for me I paid £90 for a second hand Preston Pro Type 13 metre pole. At first 13 metres was rather a handful but I’ve got the hang of it now. I still use the Middy especially when it’s really windy.
I’m glad I’ve bought cheap and robust poles to learn with. Shipping 13 metres out with flickering the contents of a small pot out is an art. 🤗

Can’t agree enough that “cheap and robust” for a beginner pole angler has to be the best way to go - so easy to roll a section off a roost / roller or clunk sections together shipping out that might chip a skinnier pole.

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
"Buy the longest pole you can afford, I would recommend that the length should not be less than 21 feet,(?!) remember you do not have to use the pole at its full length and it is more practical to have length available should you need it". Wise if now old words from my much battered "Success with the Pole - by Dickie Carr"

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
thanks, I think that makes sense as the venue I am most likely to fish matches and practice on.

Is there such a thing as a good budget 13m pole? obviously the preston margin is around 180 so I assume it will be a lot more for 13m, second hand maybe the way to go.. I will look at 13m models from past gen and see whats about.
There is a Daiwa pole in the classifieds on here at the moment . Wil be ok for general use and margin work .
As for seating ,I would use a seatbox instead of the chair .