The Queen's Speech

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I missed it, was it worthwhile watching?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nothing special, just the usual dross written by the prime minister and handed over to her Maj to read out.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
You're thinking of the opening of parliament speech.

Chervil

Site Supporter
As far as I'm aware, The Queen writes her own speech, guided by advisers.

me

I missed the live version on the morning when corbyn watches it so had to watch the repeat in the afternoon at 3pm when everyone else watches it

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Nah mate that whirring sound was the Helicopter bringing her hubby back from the Hospital, no expense spared eh :rolleyes:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I'm with Trogg. It was a list of platitudes and airy-fairy "why don't people get on with each other?" comments. She actually said at one point that Jesus Christ showed how people with differing opinions can get on with each other (or words to that effect). But he didn't - he just talked about it. His life caused a lot of controversy and violence - not a coming-together. The whole of the speech could apply to any year, anytime. She could say the same thing next year.

But I do understand that she must not upset anyone, and that it's not a bad thing that we see Her Majesty talking to us once a year.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Prince Phillip going to Christmas Day Church.
I'm sorry, but this photo is the nearest I've ever seen to a Weekend At Bernie's.

philber.jpg