The proper way to cast a waggler

matti

Site Supporter
I was always told if your getting the swooshing sound on the cast, then your forcing it too much, and you need more weight/bigger float for the distance you want to cast

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
As for resistance of a taking fish on the float it's the tiny bit above the water surface that matters not the bit under water, so as said by Billy Lane use as big a float that you need to get job done.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
If the rod is swooshing you do not always need a heavier float, it is down to how you push the rod, right in the middle of your head for accuracy at distance not off the shoulder, distance the float and bulk shot is from the tip of the rod, this is the fulcrum and the timing when you release the line. Too early and the float will head skyward in a big ark and go nowhere, soo late the float will speed like a bullet for a short distance and end up way short and in a tangle. A shorter softer actioned rod will always hamper accuracy over distance. A good mid to fast action rod for distance work is required, if you are going to get any accuracy whatsoever. Pellet wagglers by their very construct have fast action blanks that do not twist under load with heavy floats and are accurate over long distances. It is all about load and unload, the rod is just a spring, overload it and it all goes to hell in a handcart, underload it and distance is compromised. Practice, practice and practice again.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The reason to use it over the opposing shoulder is so that on the back cast your tackle does not hit your rod.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Great video this of Billy Makin under arm casting a 2BB Canal Classic to the far bank of a canal, shooting patterns & groundbait prep........

rudd

Site Supporter
There are multiple ways of casting a waggler - depends on the peg and distance fished.
Under hand, over head, side cast, gentle flick.
The there's the overhead action, some use the 'still' method, rod over shoulder, float dangling, aim ,fire - this is ok for short range but a better option is an all in one motion just like a pendulem cast as rod is then already starting to compress.
Whoosing, to heavy a rod, to heavy line, float to light, not enough line on spool, drop of float to short.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
When waggler fishing always wake sure you float is big enough to cast where required. You could go twice the size required and the will be no problem. Go too light and you will over-cast (swish) to compensate.
Another tip, make sure you have at least 90% of the shotting at the base of the float. This will ease casting no end. Don't put an odd shot 'mid way' down the line. This will spoil the cast and has no real benefit.
Regarding casting there are lots of methods. All have their place. Under arm sideways cast, overhead flick or even a double overhead from the front to back and cast - for tight pegs between trees.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
From my experience of beachcasting, I know that the best way to become a good caster is practice. If you can't practice on the water, then find a quiet field and try different things and see what works and what doesn't and when something works, keep doing it, until it's second nature.

RMNDIL

Lots of things affect the ability to cast well and accurately.

Float too light, line too thick, reel diameter too small, length of line too short, timing of cast and release point, rod too stiff with 'no' flex, rod too soft !

angry_vincent

waggler fishing (tradiitonal) is all about finesse. this is learned very hard by myself as not being a good hobby angler. but look all this older videos from 80-90's, compared to what is normally you watchig in modern videos - line must be no more than 0.12-0.13, maybe 0.14 max. spool must be filled right up to the lip and when casting, key is to have 4-5 ft of line from the rod tip to the float, this is absolutely essential, you can almost feel by hand, that when float is about such distance from the tip, rod is somehow "loaded" by even lightest waggler floats and it will fly smoothly and farther with cast.

MarkW

would be good at least few real examples in your excellent video series, waggler casting
I'll put it on the list so that we can film just casting. Struggling with weather, conditions and time at the moment but with the garden sorted just need some good weather. Finding a 'quiet' venue isn't proving easy either. I'm hoping to do at least 7 videos on stillwater waggler fishing before the rivers reopen.

JohnL

I don't understand all the theory, but watching one of the greats fish was amazing. Considering that "Film" must be over 30 years old, and his tackle of the same vintage he made it look so easy. I wonder what size those carp are now, if they are still around, did they spawn, and do their offspring still exist in the same stretch. I can't remember the last time I took a rod to a canal. Does anybody know which canal and where?

MarkW

I don't understand all the theory, but watching one of the greats fish was amazing. Considering that "Film" must be over 30 years old, and his tackle of the same vintage he made it look so easy. I wonder what size those carp are now, if they are still around, did they spawn, and do their offspring still exist in the same stretch. I can't remember the last time I took a rod to a canal. Does anybody know which canal and where?
Billy Makin?

MarkW

Yes, the Golden Arm himself. I'm sure he could catch fish out of an empty jam jar.
Got a feeling he was on the Oxford Canal. I can remember fishing the Thames at Wolvercote by the Toll Bridge, after chub, and catching 26 little carp in a morning and subsequently discovering that Thames Water had put two dustbins of these 4-6oz fish in the day before. Cue the locals descending on the spot and fishing out as many as possible and transferring them to the Oxford Canal at Wolvercote. This was in the early 80s.

icaughtafishonce

After my disastrous session this morning, I'm definitely thinking that my float casting needs some serious help. It's much more complex than it seems. All this wooshing and swooshing, it's not something I'd thought about.