The Pfizer vaccine

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
@clueless fishing

Your diatribes often reinforce a part of your online name sir....

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Your diatribes often reinforce a part of your online name sir....
"Utter rubbish" do you have any more for me or was that your best playground shot ?
The long and short of it is that what Tucker wrote .... which is where this started was accurate ..... had evidence base from reliable sources and was a perfectly reasonable post . it was far from "utter rubbish" but big bad 'arry needed to put him straight with a good forceful "utter rubbish" proclamation . There is no malaria vaccine licensed for use ...you were wrong .... and part of the reason for that as stated by the CDC is the lack of a suitable return from the target market hence a reduced intensity of research ... so you were wrong again ..... a vaccine with limited efficacy is useless not "better than nothing" hence will not get a licence so you were wrong on a third count . instead of resorting to references to nicknames which firstly isn't original and secondly makes you sound like a five year old not a "cantankerous gimmer" why not swallow the bitter pill of tucker having a valid point. You not agreeing with it does not make it utter rubbish especially when your own statements to refute it were inaccurate.

Last edited:

Arry

Site Supporter
Sigh.... another diatribe... when I retired 2 years ago the trials on the Malaria drug were being done, so I had no knowledge of its progress post submission, although I knew it wasn't what they envisaged, hence my comment about limited efficacy... also it was on the grapevine at the time that Novartis also had one in their pipeline, so there were 2 possible anti malaria drugs that were being worked on... Tucker said no big pharma was working on malaria drugs for the benefit of the 3rd world, that is what my comment of "utter rubbish" was aimed at in the light of work being done by two of the largest pharma companies in the world
Then your fingers went into overdrive....
As I said.... clueless and jumping in without reading what was written...

I'm done here

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Sigh.... another diatribe... when I retired 2 years ago the trials on the Malaria drug were being done, so I had no knowledge of its progress post submission, although I knew it wasn't what they envisaged, hence my comment about limited efficacy... also it was on the grapevine at the time that Novartis also had one in their pipeline, so there were 2 possible anti malaria drugs that were being worked on... Tucker said no big pharma was working on malaria drugs for the benefit of the 3rd world, that is what my comment of "utter rubbish" was aimed at in the light of work being done by two of the largest pharma companies in the world

I'm done here
Thats nothing even close to what tucker said ...what he said was ... and I quote

"No malaria vaccine yet. 3rd world problem so vaccine companies not that bothered as no money in it."

Absolutely nothing like what you put above ........ he said no vaccine yet ....... which is absolutely true and he said vaccine companies are not that bothered as no money in it .......... again according to the CDC absolutely true so your "utter rubbish" comment was unwarranted and inaccurate but even if it wasn't the "utter rubbish" is ignorant and you don't like it when I responded to you in a similar vein
. Changing what he actually wrote cuts no ice . He didnt say anything about "no big pharma was working on malaria drugs for the benefit of the 3rd world" . You made that up to suit your own rhetoric and pig ignorant response to his post . You simply don't like the fact I responded to you with similar ignorance .

As for diatribes .....perlease ............. I looked at a few of your posts just from literally the last few days and the number of them which are quite literally rants liberally sprinkled with c u next tuesdays , bloody knobheads, scollobs bloody morons etc etc ad infinitum is astounding . I mean we all have the occasional rant and do a bit of circumventing of the site rules to throw a bit of profanity in but you sir have it down to a fine art . Half the posts you make are sprinkled with shoot this , ban that and just about every possible method of putting a profanity in without triggering the filter so spare me the lecture on diatribes . I too am done

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
-70 or -80 storage is no problem. Dry ice and acetone in a cryo storage dewar = -78c give or take.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Calm done lads.
I heard on radio today about the new covid vaccine and also talking about the big companies and big money to be made etc etc.
It was mentioned on there about the big companies not really putting as much effort and money into a malaria vaccine as into a covid vaccine because there’s not a lot of money to be made as it’s a 3rd world problem.
Also mentioned if malaria was in Europe and America like covid is the big companies would be putting a lot more effort and money into a vaccine.
I looked it up when I got in and found this

There's currently no vaccine available that offers protection against malaria, so it's very important to take antimalarial medication to reduce your chances of getting the disease. However, antimalarials only reduce your risk of infection by about 90%, so taking steps to avoid bites is also important.
1605566532526.png

So in my eyes I said there is no vaccine for malaria and I got that from NHS so I wrote this on here
No malaria vaccine yet. 3rd world problem so vaccine companies not that bothered as no money in it.
I was a bit taken back by the utter rubbish comment to be honest but ?‍♂️
Everyone has different views.

62tucker

Site Supporter
No malaria vaccine yet. 3rd world problem so vaccine companies not that bothered as no money in it.

I'm done here
No I didn’t say that.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Its all about money at end of the day.
1st HIV drugs were the most expensive drugs to buy at the time.
( But we would be knackered without them )

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tucker, come back with a balance sheet showing the actual cost to develop and put to market the vaccine before going on about the expense.
Unless you can make one for less that is?

Arry

Site Supporter
IIIRC due to the high cost of the active substances, and the complexity of the production process, the AIDS regimen actually cost the firm about £70 per tablet to make... add £300,000 per hour for the 10 or 12 years it took to develop and you start to see why drugs are expensive when companies price their products, and why they have long patent lengths...
Now production has smoothed out, cost of actives have fallen and firms have been operating the ViiV initiative for years whereby drugs firms supply medicines to Africa free or at cost

Arry

Site Supporter
As a case in point, the plant I worked at produced combivir, abacavir trizivir dolutegravir and various others or combinations... we had to crate the drug packets and steel band them to stop people breaking into the crates at the airports and selling the drugs on the black market... the ViiV company now have a major issue with Covid as both Aids and Covid combined are deadly killers there is already a hotline for AE's in place for Aids victims who have to take anti Covid drugs (not a vaccine yet)

62tucker

Site Supporter
Have always said they charge a lot because of R&D. Nothing wrong with that.

Arry

Site Supporter
Factor in production losses, rig failures, stability issues, and drug lifespan, and ultimately regulatory holdups, lots of factors dictate prices... drugs firms can only do humanitarian work if profits allow... not defending them, just trying to add some measure of clarity as to their business model...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
years ago, i had a job of work in a perfume factory, which produced the concentrated liquids etc for the major perfume suppliers

replacing workstations in the labs, was there a fair while and it was an interesting job, got talking to some of the employees and scientists like you do, and learnt about some of the weird stuff and ingredients that went into making women stink nice, and some of it is proper strange

one fella, we had to do his office, his job entailed gathering ingredients from all around the world, buying stuff that entire yearly production of whole countries worth, some esoteric stuff, he explained that a lot of these things far surpassed gold, platinum and even diamonds in the value for the weight of them, getting on for multi thousands of dollars for just a few grammes

so its the same I expect for medical chemicals, they aint cheap to start with, dont forget penicillin just after the second world war was worth its weight in gold near enough, it wasnt until mass production came about that the price went down

Arry

Site Supporter
years ago, i had a job of work in a perfume factory, which produced the concentrated liquids etc for the major perfume suppliers

replacing workstations in the labs, was there a fair while and it was an interesting job, got talking to some of the employees and scientists like you do, and learnt about some of the weird stuff and ingredients that went into making women stink nice, and some of it is proper strange

one fella, we had to do his office, his job entailed gathering ingredients from all around the world, buying stuff that entire yearly production of whole countries worth, some esoteric stuff, he explained that a lot of these things far surpassed gold, platinum and even diamonds in the value for the weight of them, getting on for multi thousands of dollars for just a few grammes

so its the same I expect for medical chemicals, they aint cheap to start with, dont forget penicillin just after the second world war was worth its weight in gold near enough, it wasnt until mass production came about that the price went down
Had a tub of an experimental active that went missing in one of the micronising suites... 6 grams worth £3.8m... the place got turned upside down looking for it... found it and panic over, but some severe sphincter tightening during the search