The Pfizer vaccine

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I've read elsewhere that the Pfizer vaccine also needs to be stored and transported at -80 degrees c.

I don't know if GP surgeries have that kind of capability - which could make distribution more difficult?

I've imported the above post from the Virus thread.

Our local surgery has issued a statement about this vaccine. It states that it has to be stored at a minimum temperature of -70C, which means that wherever the vaccinations take place will have to be provided with a special freezer.

It also states that it takes two people 20 minutes to prepare each vaccination.

But I've yet to see any mention of these facts on TV. Looks to me as if it will literally take years for everyone to be vaccinated if this one is used.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
why would it take years? and as none of us are experts in this field who says it takes 20 minutes for each one and one at a time? there are other vaccines that need to be stored at -70 which are delivered in 3rd world countries, so im pretty sure if they can be used there there are ways/means of storing and deploying these vaccines in the UK.

there are no "facts" announced yet as there are no "facts" at this point, its a mile off being certified and approved and the process and plans being put in place so how the hell are they supposed to detail the "facts" on TV or anywhere?

Your not a medical expert, im certainly not, so unless a expert posts on here or we can quote experts then we are all making assumptions to any timelines or how this will be used which is a tad pointless at this point

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would ask my sister or brother in law, both GPs, but I'm usually told they only hear the same as us anyway.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
im just stating that even they may not be experts on this and vaccines, im not shooting you down or anything but people are getting way ahead of this, there are really no facts or anything agreed in concrete and lots of people making assumptions at the moment.

we just all need to chill for a bit and wait for bonified actions to be agreed and details provided from experts is all im saying

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Any safe way to get outta this Sh:poop:t has gotta be better than being in it ?
Safe being the operative word. How long have they tested it for? They still use thalidomide AFAIK, but not for morning sickness, who knows what side effects could occur in the future.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
All hail the wonder drugs. Thalidomide anyone ?
It was Thalidomide that prompted the heavier regulation of drug companies... Look up the Pharma Orange book...
All companies have to have full transparency on Production, Rigs and Testing... the F&DA and the MRCB have the power to say yay or nay on prospective new drug entities... its no longer a licence to print money that it used to be... if you consider when I got into the trade in 1999 R&D costs were £350-500, thousand pounds an hour you can see it takes years to recoup the outlay

Simon R

Site Supporter
Our local surgery has issued a statement about this vaccine. It states that it has to be stored at a minimum temperature of -70C, which means that wherever the vaccinations take place will have to be provided with a special freezer.

It also states that it takes two people 20 minutes to prepare each vaccination.

But I've yet to see any mention of these facts on TV. Looks to me as if it will literally take years for everyone to be vaccinated if this one is used.
Both points were mentioned on 'This Morning' earlier today - you must watch the wrong tv programmes :p

One of the 'tv doctors' started explaining how it would be done but I was heading out of the door so never heard the rest.

Pointless to speculate about it yet anyway - until the full clinical trials are complete, any possible side-effects removed and then fully peer reviewed it's not even certain that it will work.
Hancock has already stated that vaccinations could start next month so I don't expect anything until about March??

Simon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Safe being the operative word. How long have they tested it for? They still use thalidomide AFAIK, but not for morning sickness, who knows what side effects could occur in the future.
All drugs have side effects... I partook in drugs trials ( they pay well and tax free) all adverse events are logged and disclosed... Thalidomide is still used as an anti arthritis drug I think... the drug itself is inherently safe, I think it was its production process and cross contamination that caused the issues that made the news

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It was Thalidomide that prompted the heavier regulation of drug companies.
Yes, but how long have they been testing this vaccine for, ? can't be more than a year. I'm all for a vaccine for this covid, but I will give it a miss for a while.