The passing of a Great Match-man

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Very sad news. May he rest in peace. I'm sure your Father is sat in his favourite swim looking down on you all............

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Heartfelt condolences on your family's loss.
RIP Bryan - one of the great names as I was growing up.

If there's an afterlife, the standard of competition on the bream matches will be very high!

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
So sorry to hear of your loss but thanks for sharing his great success won during a golden era of match angling. Memories that I am sure will bring great comfort in the tough days ahead. RIP Bryan

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Deepest sympathies to you, your family and friends. RIP.

NBL

Dear all,

Thank you for all the kind thoughts. We grew up with fishing dominating our lives. It had the ability to draw all walks of life, young and old together with a common cause. Tonight i bagged a few roach on my own with a single white maggot on a 16 hook and shared the moment with dad. He was still there like he was 45 years ago when he first took me and tied me to the bank with rope and a rod-rest pole staked in. All the best to you all.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I feel able to make a post now.

Bryan was my best fishing mate for years, especially after Syd Meads died. I wasn't in his class, but we always had a £1 bet in Opens. When I fancied trying bowling he put me, as a complete beginner, in his teams (both indoor and outdoor), saying that he only put his friends in his teams. That was quite something when you think that in his time as a bowler he played no fewer than 23 times in All-England Championships at Worthing and Skegness. He was a quite exceptional bowler and won County Championships many times.

He was captain of Wisbech National and Winter League sides for years. And although a noted bream angler he was just as good at roach fishing. He just fished for whatever he thought would win the match, and he won Opens on all the four major Fenland Rivers as well as many times on the Fenland drains. And he and Syd and Syd Jnr used to dominate the Ballinasloe Festival for years.

When I had an attack of Vertigo on Decoy he was the one who packed up and drove me home. We had a minute's silence before our Spratts match on Wednesday, to remember him.

Every time I fish I think of Bryan, because his advice was always: Keep it Simple.

Sarah Ward

Bryan was my best fishing mate for years, especially after Syd Meads died. I wasn't in his class, but we always had a £1 bet in Opens. When I fancied trying bowling he put me, as a complete beginner, in his teams (both indoor and outdoor), saying that he only put his friends in his teams. That was quite something when you think that in his time as a bowler he played no fewer than 23 times in All-England Championships at Worthing and Skegness. He was a quite exceptional bowler and won County Championships many times.

He was captain of Wisbech National and Winter League sides for years. And although a noted bream angler he was just as good at roach fishing. He just fished for whatever he thought would win the match, and he won Opens on all the four major Fenland Rivers as well as many times on the Fenland drains. And he and Syd and Syd Jnr used to dominate the Ballinasloe Festival for years.

When I had an attack of Vertigo on Decoy he was the one who packed up and drove me home. We had a minute's silence before our Spratts match on Wednesday, to remember him.

Every time I fish I think of Bryan, because his advice was always: Keep it Simple.
Such lovely words about Dad Mac. Thank you so much.

Sarah Ward

@G0zzer2 - I realised that you probably didn’t know we have set up a donations page in memory of Dad to help raise money for the charity Get Hooked On Fishing that helps get young people into fishing that might otherwise get their highs in unhealthy ways. Hopefully you can help us share the link with as many anglers as possible: