The one that got away....

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Worst for me was losing a 13lb 12oz bream at Attenborough. I was just easing it over the net when the hook pulled.

Trent_Fisher

Fishing on a river in Canada, got Jaws moment as line started coming off the reel so slowly, waited to strike thinging it was carp waited for about a minute stuck and and a 3.5 rod bend over and whatever it was slowly continued to swim up stream until the line snapped
Sturgeon?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
After battling with a carp on my Middy M3 Margin pole that certainly wasn't being bullied in even on 20 elastic. I must have been playing this fish for 20 minutes before getting it close to the bank. My mate was on standby with the net, I could tell it wasn't ready for the net, unfortunately my mate thought differently and in a moment of giddyness lunged at the carp to scoop it in the net. Upshot was the carp evaded the net by diving underneath and the line went <PING> against the net. :sick::bash::blast:

I was gutted felt like just packing up the kit there and then and heading home. Funnily enough I never roasted my mate can understand he was trying to help, and it was just a moment of madness,

BBear

Site Supporter
Shore fishing in Norway early January a few years ago. Had one rod targetting Halibut with 30lb mono on large capacity multiplier. The method was to cast out a lead fixed to end of line and then slide down a Coley livebait of around a pound.

Was enjoying watching the northern lights when the rod went and I was attached to something I have never experienced before or since. This fish just steadily swam away and nothing I could do would stop it, in fact it felt like I was attached to a Russian submarine. anyway it effectively spooled me as I just had to clamp down on the clutch before the line ran out and of course it broke me. Must have been a gigantic Halibut and probably didn’t even know it was hooked.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Happened to me yesterday as it happens. Lovely early-season session with three barbel landed on trotting gear. One last cast (why oh why?!) and hooked leviathan. 50mins of never quite feeling in control later (I only saw the float once and didn't see the fish at all) it kited into deep fast water not even a rod length out and the hook pulled. The worst bit was that I'd been so careful and not tried to winch the fish out. Next worse was that it was a hook pull and not a break!

I must say that after the first couple of minutes I was not optimistic of landing it, but hope springs eternal. I wasn't using heavy gear, but the difference between an earlier 6lb fish and this was off the scale. Could have been fish of a lifetime, almost certainly a double-figure barbel.

Hey-ho, there's always another chance :giggle:

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Years ago, fishing Kings Weir on a day ticket. First time weir fishing, didn’t have a bloody clue.
I’m blanking.
Last desperate cast, put on the biggest ball of cheese paste ever.
Nothing.
Pack up, start to reel in…bloody hell this paste is heavy!
The head of the biggest chub I’ve ever seen appears, almost vertical with paste in its gob.
I reel in faster and cheese paste tennis ball pops out of chub’s mouth like a champagne cork.
Leviathan disappears.
On the train on the way home, woman opposite eyeing my fishing gear…”Did you catch anything?”
Sometimes I still see that chub in my nightmares.

Wandle Wanderer

Happened to me at Brooklands last year. Rolling luncheon meat on a quiver tip.

Nothing all day and suddenly the rod bends in half and the strangest fight ive ever had, it was just going in all directions and wasn't hard to bring to the net.

Then the head of the biggest eel ive ever seen in the flesh comes out, and it began to spin like a fan blade, severing the line as I went to slip the net under it...

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"On the train on the way home, woman opposite eyeing my fishing gear…”Did you catch anything?”
Sometimes I still see that chub in my nightmares"

Nightmares or bad dreams are usually a group of smaller dreams that consist of subliminal thoughts.

In this case I surmise you dream of chubby women on a train.
🤣🤣

qtaran111

Site Supporter
"On the train on the way home, woman opposite eyeing my fishing gear…”Did you catch anything?”
Sometimes I still see that chub in my nightmares"

Nightmares or bad dreams are usually a group of smaller dreams that consist of subliminal thoughts.

In this case I surmise you dream of chubby women on a train.
🤣🤣
Thanks Freud :LOL:. I will banish all thoughts of chubbies, cheesy paste, gushing weirs, lack of action on my rod and trains going into tunnels.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Went on a boat fishing trip off Torquay, many years ago with some mates. My rod was bent double and everyone was crowding round me to see what I'd caught. I took ages to reel in a massive rock, covered in barnacles.
On a different boat trip in the Mersey, again...my rod was bent double. Couldn't shift whatever I'd hooked. Thought I'd snagged something on the bottom and when I finally freed it, it turned out to be a bloody limpet :rolleyes:
My Mate did same with a rock for 30 min but his had kelp attached when he got it to top as the whole boat watched

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Mine was a fish a hooked while roach fishing at damflask on the waggler been catching decent roach when I struck got fish on bringing it in when it went solid and then started to cruise out to the middle of reservoir must of took 100 yards of line before the line parted must have been a big pike but never saw it