The oddities of hemp

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I’m probably wrong but I don’t think there are enough roach on the middle Severn to make it that worthwhile hemp on the hook. On maggot you get dace, chub and chublets, and perch. Would love to fish your area of the Thames as hemp fishing is something I don’t have a clue about.
There are loads mate. Old Stan Lewis moaned at me for fishing it at Bewdley. Told me it would ruin it for local anglers as it would stop the roach feeding later on in the season. I only went in for fresh supplies! Had good days at Bridgnorth, Hampton loade, Arley and Bewdley on it. Find the Ron Lees roach video and he does that...hemp on the severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The above is interesting... I look forward to the reports of bags of Severn Roach. 😁 Hopefully mine. (y) Though following a few match results I still don't see Roach as prime target. Dave Roberts just won Bewdley Riverfest with 40lb of Chub. Other weights were a couple of Barbel.

Above video is a good watch but he's on the lower, and years ago now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The above is interesting... I look forward to the reports of bags of Severn Roach. 😁 Hopefully mine. (y) Though following a few match results I still don't see Roach as prime target. Dave Roberts just won Bewdley Riverfest with 40lb of Chub. Other weights were a couple of Barbel.

Above video is a good watch but he's on the lower, and years ago now.
I think it’s just a case of finding the steadier water. I’ve mostly fished quicker bits of the severn where the dace certainly out number the roach but on the same stretches there are slower bits where people catch quite a few roach.

MarkW

I knew that somewhere in my boxes of old Angling Times/cuttings I had a couple of articles by Mac Willis (there were more but I've only found two). Aniline Black is the same type of dye as chrysoidine.
tares 1.JPG

Attachments

• Welland Humphrey.JPG
    Welland Humphrey.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1535 mac willis.JPG
    IMG_1535 mac willis.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 5