The oddities of hemp

Dogbert

Yesterday evening I fished a swim on the Trent that I have had lots of roach out of last July & August on hemp and tares. I took maggots, hemp and tares. Started with feeding hemp, tares on the hook. After 1 hour had no bites. Switched to maggot and starting getting nice 4-6oz roach. After an hour switched back to hemp and tares. No bites for 30 minutes. Back to red maggot and into the roach again. That seems to support the view that hemp and tares don't work so well a the start of the season.

The next question is when to start using hemp and tares? July?

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I have had some early success on the stour, at wood Lane, Hinton St Mary on Tuesday, however at fiddleford mill yesterday no bites save one a perch ! I suspect the perch was chasing a small roach and just swam into the hook mouth open. I alway carry hemp n tears and when start catching on maggot or caster every 10th put in I'll have a trot with hemp or tare, them pesky fish will soon let you know what they want.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Yesterday evening I fished a swim on the Trent that I have had lots of roach out of last July & August on hemp and tares. I took maggots, hemp and tares. Started with feeding hemp, tares on the hook. After 1 hour had no bites. Switched to maggot and starting getting nice 4-6oz roach. After an hour switched back to hemp and tares. No bites for 30 minutes. Back to red maggot and into the roach again. That seems to support the view that hemp and tares don't work so well a the start of the season.

The first few weeks on rivers can be a bit hit and miss. Even with much less pressure than years gone by.
I‘d say from mid July onwards, especially late August through September are the best times. As has been said, Hemp will work all year round but in Winter you need to sit on a lot of fish👍.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

seeds tend to work best when the seed season starts in nature, around harvest time

this time of the year, there is far more insect life about, eg flies, caterpillars, worms, grubs etc about,

fish know this and target the more naturally occuring baits available in the wilder settings

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Going off the norm here it’ll probably start working to a reasonable extent next weekend but will probably be the weekend after before we can really bag on it. This weekend will be too soon that’s for sure, might get the odd fish on it but that’ll be about it.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
seeds tend to work best when the seed season starts in nature, around harvest time

this time of the year, there is far more insect life about, eg flies, caterpillars, worms, grubs etc about,

fish know this and target the more naturally occuring baits available in the wilder settings
I've always thought along these lines, but this is the first time I recall seeing it suggested. The only slight issue with it is that I have my doubts that a great deal of seed of any type actually finds its way into modern rivers.

Robwooly

Talked to a chap on hemp and tare yesterday evening who said he was strugling but my leftover maggots were seeing plenty of roach from the off, competing with the dace, the speed at which the roach were attacking the bait was quite impressive, changed to pellet later on for a barbel and the roach were also taking 6mm pellets too despite me not trying for them, the water was clear with a touch of early summer colour.

It's certainly weird how hemp doesn't work well early doors yet the same fish are smashing everything else with gusto.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The challenge here is that until hemp starts working a couple weeks or so into the season you’re rather stuffed on the float fishing front as until it starts cooling and colouring in October you can’t really fish maggot and caster due to the bleak. There’s a couple places where you can sometimes do it for a few hours in the morning before the bleak wake up if you fish with a big bulk but once they get going it’s hopeless. Sometimes you can’t even get a feeder through them. It’s just heaven when you get that session a couple weeks or so into the season when hemp starts properly working as it just transforms the fishing. Thankfully we do usually only have to wait a couple weeks or so but some years it can be a month or so which is a pain.

JayD

Site Supporter
Sadly, I don't think that the fish use calendars ;)

I've found on my local waters that it's very dependent on the weather, both spring and early summer. The temperature, light levels, water colour, and competition from fry etc, all play a part. The last one I've found to be pretty significant. If there's an early spawning season, then the fry, along with the smaller species such as minnow, bleak, gudgeon etc will be of a size to compete for some foods earlier than if there was a late spawning. This is when the roach/dace are 'forced' to switch to seed baits that the smaller fish struggle with. I believe that is one of the main factors that dictates when hemp, tares, wheat, sweetcorn etc, become more effective.

John.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am of a belief that as they have just ceased spawning, the roach are after hi protien feed to build themselves back up, such as worm, bloodworm, bugs etc

the netfull I had last week from the canal, or the ones old enough to spawn that is, looked and felt flabby

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If the weather has an effect I could definitely see it being delayed this year given we’d have normally had a lot more warm weather over the last couple months than we’ve had this year 🤔

Will be interesting to see how the next few weeks pan out.

Foul hooked

Slightly off topic but i have a couple of questions. Been experimenting with hemp on a couple of local stillwaters so that i can use it with confidence on the river once it is properly fishable (ie sufficient depth and no t weeded up) in a few weeks.
despite practicing trying to keep it on the hook, i have also experimented with the artificial stuff. whilst catching on both natural and artificial, it does seem that i get far more bites on the real stuff than the fake but a better quality of fish on the latter. My thoughts on this are that the natural hemp (tinned) gives off oily bubbles when loose fed and therefore there is some odour that likely attracts the fish, that obviously the artificial stuff does not. On the other hand, the artificial is somewhat larger than the average size of the tinned stuff. If anyone else has similar thoughts i would be interested to know.
Secondly, one of the waters i have been experimenting on is unfortunately infested with crayfish. The other day, whilst i expect to catch the odd one or two in a session, i was plagued by them and ended up fetching about a dozen out. The odd thing was that the anglers either side of me only had the odd one or two as per usual. The difference was that i was feeding hemp quite generously, and catching more roach and rudd than them until the crayfish turned up. Again, my assumption was that the hemp was also attracting the crayfish more than their offerings of maggot/caster/micro pellets etc.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Talked to a chap on hemp and tare yesterday evening who said he was strugling but my leftover maggots were seeing plenty of roach from the off, competing with the dace, the speed at which the roach were attacking the bait was quite impressive, changed to pellet later on for a barbel and the roach were also taking 6mm pellets too despite me not trying for them, the water was clear with a touch of early summer colour.

It's certainly weird how hemp doesn't work well early doors yet the same fish are smashing everything else with gusto.
Was this on the Severn by any chance mate?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
SeVern roach tend to be a secondary match target through the summer, when traditionally hemp is more effective.
How often on the Severn do you get near 20lb catches of silvers in matches without the help of Chub (and Barbel)? Isn't that sort of weight standard for the Thames in summer? In my brief time fishing the Severn recently I've only beat 10lb with the help of Chub but going to give it a good shot this year!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
How often on the Severn do you get near 20lb catches of silvers in matches without the help of Chub (and Barbel)? Isn't that sort of weight standard for the Thames in summer? In my brief time fishing the Severn recently I've only beat 10lb with the help of Chub but going to give it a good shot this year!
It’s hard to say a norm on the Thames varies a bit. Pleasure nets at the prime venues like sandford and medley can be anything from 10-20lb sometimes a bit more sometimes a little less but matches vary a bit more. Sometimes 15lb will win but other times you cant even win with 25lb. It’s probably because pleasure anglers can largely pick their swims and weather so can be more consistent whereas match anglers are at the mercy of the draw and the weather. No idea about the severn but I reckon I might have scraped 10lb of mostly dace with a few roach once which would have gone close to 20lb with the chub and barbel I also had.

Back on subject to confuse things further I had an absolute stack of hemp roach from a Stillwater today 🤔

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watched a bloke waggler fishing at Medley on youtube, his hemp was the largest I have ever seen literally the size of a tare.

He said he soaked his hemp for a week then boiled it for an hour {eck}, food for thought?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Watched a bloke waggler fishing at Medley on youtube, his hemp was the largest I have ever seen literally the size of a tare.

He said he soaked his hemp for a week then boiled it for an hour {eck}, food for thought?
You can sometimes buy giant hemp but seems depending on the availability of hemp just generally at the time how giant it actually is rather fluctuates.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I bought some Sensas giant hemp but couldn`t get it to split no matter what, still have an unopened kilo bag. Might try the bloke
from youtube`s method.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Changing the subject slightly, bought some maggots the other day and noticed some copdock tares, so bought some to try. They
do not smell right mind you the fish might think the opposite, think I will stick to doing my own. If you freeze your tares with some
hemp and stewed wheat they take on a lovely nutty aroma.

Also noticed some 2lb maxima so bought a couple of spools, never seem to be able to get the lower breaking strains of this line in
my neck of the woods.

Robwooly

Was this on the Severn by any chance mate?
No it was a small clear river near where I live, I was also on the Warks Avon at the weekend and that was running clear and the chub(but no roach) were having pellet big time, that may be worth a try with hemp when the Severn is carrying that brown colour