The oaks sessay

timber

built for comfort
Having 4 nights camping with my son,can anyone tell me the best lake there for beginners please

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've not been anything like regular at the oaks for quite a few years. However, unless things have changed drastically, you've got three basic types of water across the multiple lakes. General, Match and Specimen. The last I knew, the full on match pools (the ones at the back (north) of the complex) were reserved purely for matches. I've never fished them as my match days ended before they were even dug. The Oaks is the specimen pool and is a bit bigger, wider and deeper than a typical commie pool. The rest are much more typical commie fare. Though the size, shape, depth, and stock, varies between them, I'd struggle to suggest which might be better for a beginner.

Hopefully someone with better and more up to date knowledge will be along shortly.

david white

Site Supporter
I've not been anything like regular at the oaks for quite a few years. However, unless things have changed drastically, you've got three basic types of water across the multiple lakes. General, Match and Specimen. The last I knew, the full on match pools (the ones at the back (north) of the complex) were reserved purely for matches. I've never fished them as my match days ended before they were even dug. The Oaks is the specimen pool and is a bit bigger, wider and deeper than a typical commie pool. The rest are much more typical commie fare. Though the size, shape, depth, and stock, varies between them, I'd struggle to suggest which might be better for a beginner.

Hopefully someone with better and more up to date knowledge will be along shortly.

Hate to correct the above ( sorry Chris ) BUT it’s the Willows that’s the specimen lake ( often bivied up and fished overnight ) for normal fishing the open water of the Oaks and Firs is more suitable to ‘ beginners ‘ but as suggested ask at the tackle shop or have a wander around the complex, apart from the out and out die hard matchmen most anglers will be willing to offer advice, there’s a sign at the entrance which gives daily information as to access on each lake too

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Firs & Oaks are 2 pleasure only lakes (aside from a few matches in winter). There is a wide variety of fish in these 2 lakes, carp, F1 carp, roach, bream, ide, perch and tench. The depth is from 3.5 to 5 feet deep across these 2 lakes. Great lakes for someone startng fishing.

timber

built for comfort
Firs & Oaks are 2 pleasure only lakes (aside from a few matches in winter). There is a wide variety of fish in these 2 lakes, carp, F1 carp, roach, bream, ide, perch and tench. The depth is from 3.5 to 5 feet deep across these 2 lakes. Great lakes for someone startng fishing.
What baits do you reccomend

John Step

Site Supporter
I took a trip up there earlier this year. Not fishing, just to view the campsite for a possible future trip.The idea was I could camp there and fish the rivers mornings and maybe have a dabble in the evenings on the speci lake. It was early summer. The specimen lake had a run down worn banks look. There were bivvies and rods out with no one in view. There were rods out some distance away from blokes sitting in cars playing on mobiles no where near their rods.

A couple of older guys were catching lots of F1s in the long pond by the entrance road if that helps.

A polite enquiry about tickets etc in the tackle shop was met by the grumpy surly attendant who could hardly be bothered to look up with a "nothing to do with the shop".

Not my sort of place I am afraid.