The NFA !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

National Federation of Anglers (NFA)

In the 20plus years that i've been into match fishing i've been a member of the NFA be it via club membership or more recently as an individual.

In that time i've fished in various Embassy Pairs Comp's, Fish 'O' Mania Comp's, National Champ's and a few other events they have had a hand in running.

In that time i've never been overly impressed with anything they've organised as it normaly starts and ends in confusion, and over the last 2 years i've not bothered to join them as all i could see was them takeing my money and not realy getting anything in return.

But in the back of my mind i always thought that they must be doing some good somewhere for someone but now i'm not so sure.

Take Holme Pierpoint for an example it would be an ideal venue (centraly located) for all major World and European event's as well as a great centre for teaching and training of the angler's of the future if it was managed properly.
I know it was once used for the World Champs a few years back and it fished terribly with the most amount of blanks ever recorded in the history of the event, which in my opinion was down to the mismanagement of the venue and the event by the NFA.
All that is needed is to spend some money on the venue and it could be a brilliant showpiece for the NFA.

More recently (this week) i had what i feel is good reason to question why anybody would want to be a member of the NFA.

I thought i was lucky to be able to attend the Trials (as a spectator) for the selection of the England Disabled Squad but some of the thing's i heard and saw whilst there have made me realise that i will never join the NFA again as they treat the anglers that join them and pay their wage's like something they have stood in.

Some example's of the things that realy got my back up are as follows:

How could i as a spectator know 5 minute's after the start of the trial's 4 of the 5 angler's that would be in the Squad and also know that it was only between 2 other angler's as to who the 5th person would be and even know who those 2 were!!.

I actually knew that 3 of the anglers were in the Squad before the start!!.

I also knew that 4 angler's had made the effort to fish the Trials at great expense to them selfs and they were not even going to be looked at because they had the wrong disability or in 1 anglers case he was also to old so was no good for the team !!.

And the final nail in the NFA coffin for me was when after the Trial each angler was asked to pay the full 5 day ticket price!!!!!!! (not even the normale price disabled price)
Now surly the NFA could have at least payed the 50 ticket price.

It was then stated that as only 5k was avaible from the NFA for sponsorship that the squad would also be paying a lot more from their own pocket to Fish For Their Country.

This was made even worse as earlier i had heard the selectors talking about their good hotel that the NFA were paying for, for the week prior to the Champs.

In my opinion the NFA now stands for NOT FOR ANGLERS

THE ABOVE ARE JUST MY VIEWS AND I REALISE THAT THEY MAY NOT BE THE VIEW OF THE OWNERS OF THIS SITE AND I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LIABILITY THE ABOVE POSTING MAY CAUSE.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com and take s from Dirk

darryl

how can you have the wrong disabilty? if you are disabled then you should be able to fish for the disabled team by them saying people have the wrong disabilty it puts disabled rights back years.and any way if thats there attitude i would not join them anyway.and dirk`s better of without them.dont get me started about holme pierpoint thats a waste of brill water space nice and local as well

work`s for them who can`t fish

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Malc,

<Nice Disclaimer icon_smile_wink.gif>

Here is a link to the NFA's Disabled page where there is also a link to their contacts and officers that are provided to support disabled angling: www.the-nfa.org.uk/disabled

One point you might want to query is within their own History statement:

Disability categories have been avoided in NFA events because the nature of the activity and the use of helpers. There are and always has been problems with classifying anglers as disabled and this is kept continually under review.

It also suprises me that only 5,000 was available for sponsorship as I would have thought (IMHO) that some funding would have been made available, if requested for, from the Lotteries Commission.

Maybe you or Dirk should put a complaint in to them and see what they say?

Regards, Dave

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Hi Malc, I do not know very much about the NFA but after what I saw yesterday I do not think I want to, one of the things that got to me yesterday was that the selectors did not even try to make it look like thay were interested in the people that were not wanted.

I also think that the points system that is used in the selection of the team is unfair

Dai Fish

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Daz,

the world officials lay down a set of strict criteria that enables a team to be picked from countries entering.

These rules have a points system that have to add up to a total ten points for entry into the world championship event, disabled anglers can contact their NFA regional officer for the disabled and their details will be recorded for decision as to whether all the criteria needed are met for consideration into the team trials.

Below is the official details from the world governing body Disabilities according to the table below:

5 points: Blind angler.

4 points: Angler who cannot walk or fish other than from a wheelchair.

3 points: Angler in a wheelchair who can transfer & fish out of the wheel chair i.e. fishing box or seat.

2 points: Angler with an upper limb loss & absence of mobility and muscular force (obligation also to provide a medical certificate).

1 point: Angler having lower limb loss. Disabled angler with both legs but being able to be walk without external equipment or wheelchair.
Angler having loss of a lower limb & absence of mobility and muscular force (obligation to provide a medical certificate).
Angler having a non apparent handicap various (obligation to present a medical certificate).

Any team must total 10 points to be able to enter a world event

Hope this answers your query.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

quote:Hi Malc,

<Nice Disclaimer >

Just to cover your back Dave as i said it's only my view.

Dave
Already sent off an e-mail to the NFA last night Dave as soon as i got home but if it's like other time's i've mailed them it will take a month to get an answer if at all.

Peter
As you say regards the points for a disability it's down to FIPS the World Governing Body, but i just found it terrible how some people had been asked to try out for the team when it was so obviouse that they would not even be looked at as their point allocation were either 1 or 2 and the selectors were only realy after a 4 pointer to make the 10 point's required.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com and take s from Dirk

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: the selectors were only realy after a 4 pointer to make the 10 point's required.

If that is the case (and i've no reason to doubt you Malc) i find it absolutly disgusting that the NFA have invited anglers to a trial on what by all accounts is an ill prepared and poorly stocked venue.
To then ignore trialists who have incurred considerable expense in terms of time ,travel and bait(17litres of groundbait + bloodworm & joker doesn't come cheap) just because their disability doesn't carry the required points tariff,beggars belief.
To then brag about their accomodation for the forthcoming event within earshot of people, goes to show just how out of touch they are with the average angler on the bank.
What does the NFA do for the average angler???????Who Knows?????

Peter.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
There you are Malc, do you feel better now. I always do after a rant.

The point about them discussing their accommodation was fascinating. Are the guys in question voted onto the NFA or are they appointed.

They remind me much of MPs and other elected people. Once they are in all they are really interested in is what they can get out of it, not what they can offer.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

martin.

Account Locked
hi malc
just an idea but have you contacted the angling press . it may be worth while to bring this nto the open if not fr this year or next but in future years .

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

scott essery

'Silver man'
Knowing just how much time, money and effort both Malc and Dirk have put into the trials im disgusted and ashamed to be associated with our 'governing body'.

We as anglers would be proud to fish for our country and most would walk over hot coals to prove they are good enough. But Id say all of us fish for the love of the sport and the friendships we create.

MAFA are in it for the money and couldnt care less about the anglers.

they are a corrupt bunch of politicians only out for themselves and line their own pockets.

Its a dictatorship like the Tsars of Russia or the European monarchs where the rich live in luxury and the poor pay for them to do so!

Is there any way we can name and shame them? people simply dont know whats going on and what they are like.

The average angler should know where his money is going and what the people are like who spend it.

Malc, Dirk im sorry. Try and put it behind you but lets do something about NAFA!!!

DCW

Dave,

Thankyou for bringing to the attention of the NFA some of the comments being made about them. Your email was forwarded to me as a Regional Officer for the Disabled to assist.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR DISABLED

The comments from one of your chatters is correct the team has to be selected by points and that is not an NFA rule that is a CIPS rule and the NFA has to abide by them as well as anyone else.

TEAM SELECTION
To the best of my knowledge there is always some pepole who stand out when you do a teams election. You go by what you know and the feed back you get from various outlets of information that comes into the Governingbody. But you do not know everything and you ahve to open it up in case there is someone who could be selected by merit. Do not forget you only have ten points to play with from the start.

Holme Peirpont

As someone was was involved in the World Championships I know the amount of work that went into the water long before the day. The organisation can only do so much. If the fish do not show what else can you do.

CHANGE NFA
Well that has started, but you will only chaneg the NFA by getting involved and complaining to them and not in chat rooms or writing to the Angling Press. Join as a individual member, go to Regional Meetings,go to conference and tell them in writing or use the spoken word for it is that and only that that will bring change about.

darryl

now why would you not want anglers writing to the press? as for holme peirpoint when did the nfa last have any input in the way it is run or stocked i live near there and no what a good water it can be if the nfa and the ea got togather in stead of bleaming each other,but then again how could you .

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wonderful, a reply from the NFA, what a shame he only gave initials and not a name, mind you with what I have heard about June 18th perhaps embarrassment could be a reason.

Where was the apology for charging for the pegs? Was the team pre-selected? Did the officials have to pay their own way or did the NFA pay for them to attend?

Perhaps DCW would E-Mail me with answers and some very good reasons for joining the NFA, my address isn't hidden.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:you will only change the NFA by getting involved and complaining to them and not in chat rooms or writing to the Angling Press.

Seems a bit of a head in the sand attitude,It's a foolish person who ignores the power of the press,or the growing influence of the internet

Peter.

martin.

Account Locked
hi
NFA says you wont get anything changed in chatrooms or in the angling press the only way to get things done is by jioning them as an individual or through a club.
is this said to get more money in to support there HOLLIDAYS in lovely hotels at the ordinary anglers cost .
I know that if i am going to pay towards someones holiday it will be my families holiday

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

MALC

DCW,
Thankyou for your response as it's nice to actually get a reply from anybody within the NFA,
But you fail to answer any of the points raised or give any good reason why i or any angler should rejoin the NFA ?

quote: TEAM SELECTION
But you do not know everything and you ahve to open it up in case there is someone who could be selected by merit. Do not forget you only have ten points to play with from the start.

The above is from your reply so how is it that if you (the NFA) go open minded i knew before the fishing started that 3 anglers were already in the squad??

Also a copy of my original post was E-mailed to the NFA 12 hours before i posted it here.

I have also sent copies to the angling press as i feel that the Disabled angler is not getting a fair deal from yourself ( The NFA) unlike the able bodied Teams

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

DCW

Well that opened up an hornets nest now didn't it.

Someone trys to help and all you want to do is to snipe.

I am not the NFA, I am a member of the NFA. Why should you join, well if you don't it won't need the anti's to kill off angling the apathy of anglers will do it for them.

There are more people outside of the NFA trying to solve problems that are already being discussed and take us backwards rather than forwards.

Letters to the Angling press have never solved problems, created ones that were never there to begin with yes. If you have a problem write to the NFA if you do not get satisfaction then go to the press but not the other way round.

As to other anglers paying for my family to go on holiday. When did that occur. The NFA, like many other organisations has not got the money to finance any family holidays, but if they require people to be in one part of the country it is only right that they find and pay for hotel accomodation for the INDIVIDUAL that is required to attend. Anyone after that the person them selves pay for and I have on many occasion.

If you want to fish in the future you are going to have to pay for it one way or another. Where the Angling side of sport went wrong was not insisting that everyone who fishes needs to be a member of the sport (like football, tennis etc).

The National Federation of Anglers is an organisation of Clubs,Associations and now individual members, from them come people who are prepared to give up their time to represent the sport/leasuire activity they enjoy. It should not be at the expense of the person who is carrying out the role on behalf of the anglers, they need to be rewarded for their travell time, be it train, car etc.
You wouldn't do it for nothing so why should they.

darryl

and you still can not give answers to the qustions can you ?or you are to embarassed or is this just another spin to hide the truth that the so called officals are as corrupt as the goverment and only out for what they can get out of it with no consideration for the anglers that they are supossed to repersent

scott essery

'Silver man'
DCW

I dont want to sound like im personally attacking you but I have an opinion and wish to air it.

Your Quote "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR DISABLED :- The comments from one of your chatters is correct the team has to be selected by points and that is not an NFA rule that is a CIPS rule and the NFA has to abide by them as well as anyone else".

We all have to play by the rules but the rules are unfair. Ok I can see a team made up of 20+ points going against one of 5points would have inherent disadvantages, but why dont we look at other disabled sports to create a fairer system where an angler, no matter what is disability, is picked purely on merit. if you HAVE TO pick a high pointing angler no matter how good they are, is wrong. NAFA should ballet-disabled anglers for their views and then be the spokesmen to champion the wishes of THEIR constituents (be under no illusion NAFA is political and you are voted in and represent people as an MP would). NAFA have a duty to the people who pay their wages and resulted in them being where they are. Anyone disagree?

Your quote "TEAM SELECTION:-To the best of my knowledge there is always some people who stand out when you do a teams election. You go by what you know and the feedback you get from various outlets of information that comes into the Governing body. But you do not know everything and you have to open it up in case there is someone who could be selected by merit. Do not forget you only have ten points to play with from the start."

So would I be correct in saying (reading between the lines of course) that you will automatically pick 2, 3 or 4 of the squad from past experience but want to see if anyone stands out by running a trial. And at the back of your mind you have 10 points and even if someone excels, if their 'face doesnt fit' regarding the points system then they wont be picked. The arrogance of NAFA and their ignorance to understand that some anglers will turn up on the day thinking it will be like an open, where the best 5 anglers will win. These people EXPECT their efforts to be scrutinised with open minds, an interest taken in their skill, fairness and equal amounts of sincerity as they show to their fellow anglers. People like Dirk and Malc fish for the love of the sport; their motivation is pride, selfless commitment and dedication to something they love, they want to help others do well. It looks to me NAFA's motivation is averis, selfishness, egotism and political intrigue. Do you have any idea how much money, effort, time and dedication was put in by Dirk and Malc? Do you care?

Your quote "Holme Peirpont:- As someone was involved in the World Championships I know the amount of work that went into the water long before the day. The organisation can only do so much. If the fish do not show what else can you do."

My god what a shambles. It was 92 wasnt it? At that time I was 15 years old, extremely keen junior match angler and riveted by the thought of having the world championships in Nottingham. The home international the year or two before was a huge success and I was proud and expectant for England, home of angling, to show the world what they could do. Week after week no fish were caught and only after huge pressure from the AT was a sidescann sonar done by the NRA. It showed not many fish were there and they werent feeding. Calls to stock the venue (which almost EVERY other controlling body has done before the world championships) fell on deaf ears and the results humiliated the country, NAFA and the average angler. Being in marketing, as I am, being SEEN TO ACT is as important as the action itself. NAFA did not act to calls from the angling press, they showed arrogance and contempt and I dont think they cared two hoots about the result. You said yourself if the fish dont show what can you do. You could be seen to do something! Lots of work went into it, what work? Be seen to tell people. You guys have as much marketing and PR sense as the carp I catch!! No wonder you are perceived as incompetent by just about everyone.

Your quote "CHANGE NFA: -Well that has started, but you will only change the NFA by getting involved and complaining to them and not in chat rooms or writing to the Angling Press. Join as a individual member, go to Regional Meetings, go to conference and tell them in writing or use the spoken word for it is that and only that that will bring change about."

Im sorry mate but I have been involved in government council politics, committees and sub groups for a number of years. I know how it works. The ONLY way to force change is from outside. In your quote you admit to being scared of press coverage. rightly so. if the million anglers find out what does on in your secretive, closed world, your money will dry up and the 'gentlemans club' as it stands will become either a publicly audited business or run by caring, sincere anglers who motivation is to the sport rather than obtaining money from sports England which disappears before it ever reaches the angler. In stoke we have SAFE, the most successful project to encourage kids off the streets and into angling. Why doesnt this project spread throughout the country? Why doesnt NAFA organise coaches in big cities, use their money to set up safe schemes everywhere. why dont NAFA apply for ESF funds, SRB project money, talk to training providers and create an NVQ or even MA in angling! NAFA should be engage politicians and MP's for their support and patronage to sports England and the lottery. THATS WHAT NAFA SHOULD BE DOING. You guys dont care about angling. its left up to normal, caring people with day jobs, families and commitments to keep angling going for this and the next generation!

NAFA = Not For Anglers!

MALC

DCW,

In your first post you say
quote: Thankyou for bringing to the attention of the NFA some of the comments being made about them. Your email was forwarded to me as a Regional Officer for the Disabled to assist.

Yet in your second post you then say
quote:I am not the NFA, I am a member of the NFA.

Surely if you are a Regional Officer for the Disabled then you should be classified as a representative of the NFA or is this just worded so as to mislead as seems to be the NFA policy with most things ?

Also thank you once again for Not giving answers to any of the points raised.

So far you have not given any reason for me to even think about rejoining The NFA.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Status
Not open for further replies.