The new shimano aero feeder rods.....

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I agree that spliced tips aid performance, but if you can’t get hold of spares one wrap over and you’re stuck with an unusable rod. To have to replace a whole section I am guessing is not going to be cheap either. If they are bringing out spliced tips rods the concept is flawed if they don’t have readily available spare sections as it’s not as easy as replacing a tip
If you break a carrier section on a normal tip rod you are just as far up the proverbial creek. If you break a tip section on a rod that is supplied with three complete tip sections, you may be cursing the expense (if you can get a spare), but you still have two full tip sections to keep you going.

Philnun87

If you break a carrier section on a normal tip rod you are just as far up the proverbial creek. If you break a tip section on a rod that is supplied with three complete tip sections, you may be cursing the expense (if you can get a spare), but you still have two full tip sections to keep you going.

Tbf it would be hard to break the carrier section on a feeder rod and I don’t know anyone who has done that. That’s my point, if you break a tip (which is a lot easier to do with wrap around) feeder tips are usually really easy to get hold of and cost between £15-20

With the Aero x7 sections I can’t find them anywhere (I even messaged Shimano to check) and I assume they will be a lot more money than that as you are having to buy a whole section, even if you just break a tip.

I don’t know how much the sections would be but for £250 for a rod you should be able to get spares easily and not have to put up with only having two tips

cuzza

A very nice rod indeed, cheap as chips,i l have the 12ft version. It has a great action, and even with a 45gram hybrid feeder, and using the 2oz tip it will launch it over 70 turns of a matrix 5500 super feeder reel with ease, not tried it yet with the 3oz tip.
Would like to know where l could get some additional spare tips, but so far my search has drawn a blank
Good to see a review on the X1 as I was tempted by the 10’ feeder for commercial carp alongside my X5 9-11

The tips should have a code like SGSD which is small guide small diameter, as long as you get the same code it should fit. Fishingspares carry the tips Spare Shimano quiver tips - Fishing Spares

cuzza

Just spoke with the guys at Felindre to make sure the tips on the X1 will change with my X5 and they tell me the SD size tips don’t fit, back to the drawing board/piggy bank!

Reginald

I have the 12ft x7 distance feeder, with the 1,5/2 and 2,5oz tops, it’s a loverly rod, I’m just that extra careful when packing it away, but it’s no problem. Well worth buying in my opinion
Is this rod comparable to the Preston supera carbonactive 12,6 80g feeder rod? I suppose it's a bit beefier but should be similar?

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Is this rod comparable to the Preston supera carbonactive 12,6 80g feeder rod? I suppose it's a bit beefier but should be similar?
No, the aero x7 is definitely over rated on the casting weight at 90gram, it’s much happier chucking a maximum of 50gram, 3 or 4 hole cage feeder plus bait, where the supera can easily handle 60gram feeders plus bait, in reasonable conditions. when the wind gets up, and I need to reach the distance, I swap them both, to the 80 or 100gram distance masters, which are loverly rods. The x7 is a slightly lighter rod than the supera, but it’s 6inches shorter, it’s a loverly rod, that I use in good conditions, from 30 to 50 mtrs. If I’m fishing further out, or there’s a wind on, it stops in the rod holdall, cause I’ve got beefier and stronger rods, that’ll make my fishing easier, on the day👍👍👍

Reginald

Good to know this. I think someone in another thread here said, that the aero x7 feeder rods are overrated when it comes to the given casting weight.
One has to subtract some 10g or more each time. This does not mean in any way that these rods are not fine enough, but should be taken into account.

grey

Site Supporter
Tbf it would be hard to break the carrier section on a feeder rod and I don’t know anyone who has done that. That’s my point, if you break a tip (which is a lot easier to do with wrap around) feeder tips are usually really easy to get hold of and cost between £15-20

With the Aero x7 sections I can’t find them anywhere (I even messaged Shimano to check) and I assume they will be a lot more money than that as you are having to buy a whole section, even if you just break a tip.
Swings and roundabouts, if you're vulnerable to breaking tips then don't get a rod with spliced-in feeder tips, but if you're easy on your tips, then take advantage of the improved action a spliced-in feeder tip has to offer.

However, I do agree, that if any section is to fail, it will more likely be the top (not necessarily the tip, but anywhere along it). Not a problem if a company carries spares, but somehow we all know that Shimano will not have had the forethought to make replacements.

If it were a Daiwa product, I wouldn't have the same concern.

grey

Site Supporter
Just spoke with the guys at Felindre to make sure the tips on the X1 will change with my X5 and they tell me the SD size tips don’t fit, back to the drawing board/piggy bank!
No mate, they don't - it'll be unlikely that any replacement tips are available either. Same is true for the Forcemaster range too - standard Shimano tips don't fit and cannot be purchased separately.

The reason is Shimano budget range feeders are provided with two (or more) tips and the complete package (rod and all) is cheaper than buying just two standard Shimano replacement tips... which rather makes a mockery of Shimano's products & spares pricing structure.

The reason for not being able to buy replacement tips for budget range rods is: there is no reason! It's Shimano, they don't need a reason!

If you do need a replacement tip for X1 or Forcemaster, don't bother asking the tackle shops or Felindre, approach Shimano's Service Centre: hopefully they'll have some failed returns with tips still intact they can send you.

Last edited:

Philnun87

Swings and roundabouts, if you're vulnerable to breaking tips then don't get a rod with spliced-in feeder tips, but if you're easy on your tips, then take advantage of the improved action a spliced-in feeder tip has to offer.

However, I do agree, that if any section is to fail, it will more likely be the top (not necessarily the tip, but anywhere along it). Not a problem if a company carries spares, but somehow we all know that Shimano will not have had the forethought to make replacements.

If it were a Daiwa product, I wouldn't have the same concern.

Totally agree. That’s what I meant by it being a floored concept, if a company is going to go against the grain (I don’t know any other companies which do spliced tips) you’d think they would have spares readily available. I’ve checked with 4/5 tackle shops and no one has them / are not even aware of how much they will cost.

I really like shimano rods and would very likely have got an x7 as they look great if it wasn’t for the lack of availability of spares

grey

Site Supporter
Totally agree. That’s what I meant by it being a floored concept, if a company is going to go against the grain (I don’t know any other companies which do spliced tips) you’d think they would have spares readily available. I’ve checked with 4/5 tackle shops and no one has them / are not even aware of how much they will cost.

I really like shimano rods and would very likely have got an x7 as they look great if it wasn’t for the lack of availability of spares
Avon tips (by most manufacturers) are single section, though they're usually 4oz+, but I know what you mean.

I don't think I've ever broken a tip over 1oz, so replacement is no more of a concern than any other part of the rod. Whilst still on the market, I suspect Shimano would rather replace the whole rod than offer just a replacement section.

Philnun87

I just managed to speak to Angling Direct and the tips for the X7 are £44 and they seem to think they should be relatively easy to get hold off, so I take back what I said about it being flawed. It is obviously double the price of most push in tips, but doesn’t break the bank…I thought they would be a lot more for some reason and if supplies are not a problem they do look like nice rods

I am going to have a waggle of one next week.

Just thought I would let anyone know the tip prices who had their eye on one