The new shimano aero feeder rods.....

Fartacus

Site Supporter
Just been to Angling Direct for a waggle of a rod the Shimano Aero X5 Precision feeder rod and by hell that's one nice rod,,,,

Probably will give the Acolytes a run for there money...

Has anyone bought and used one by any chance???

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I had a waggle of the them at Stoneleigh show and they do feel very nice indeed. Not sure they’re acolyte level but given they are a bit cheaper they probably will sell as well as them.

Quite tempted by the 14ft float rod myself. My 13ft acolyte is perfect for most my fishing but there are times when 14ft would be handy and at £50 cheaper the shimano is an attractive option for an occasionally used rod. That’s unless I give in to getting another acolyte when they pop up cheaper occasionally but don’t think I want to spend the standard £200 price for such occasional use.

Fartacus

Site Supporter
Like all top tackle if it comes up second hand you do save a lot of money,
but never seems to come up used when you want one though...
And besides it's nice to have a new rod that some other Herbert hasn't held :ROFLMAO:

I'm really tempted with this rod and you lot can keep ye Acolytes :unsure: ;)

grey

Site Supporter
Another Shimano range of high quality rods destined to go under the Anglers' radar.

If any other manufacturer had released a range of this calibre, they'd be the talk of all maggotdrowners, but Shimano have developed the ability to release their tackle whilst making as few potential customers aware as possible: who has tried (or even remembers) the Aspire and Fireblood range of feeders the X7 range replaces? Who considered either of the Speedcast Longcast or Precision feeders the X5 replaces as a potential rod of choice?

Although the new Aero range aren't quite the same quality as the ranges they replace, they are a little cheaper and still pretty decent rods: they're incredibly light, which is a bit worrying if you need to give them some welly, I think there might be quite a few carrier sections fail, but that's just a suspicion.

I know Shimano only sold a handful of Aspire and Fireblood feeder rods, and very few Speedcasts - I expect they will not sell many more of the Aero range.

grey

Site Supporter
Sorry, didn't really answer your question Farticus.

I tried the multi X5 precision feeder, which wasn't quite up to the weight it recommended as it buckled and became uncontrollable beyond 50g, definitely not 60g as stated but decent enough. I also tried the X7 12' 90g distance which was good but a little 'wafty' for my liking due to its weight/balance, but it did have excellent vibration recovery on the cast - nice piece of kit which I could get used to. I'm hoping to try the X7 distance power feeder, as I'm told it's the pick of the range and ideal for distance bream.

The X5 float rods aren't a patch on Acolytes and feel like a bit of an afterthought. The X5 feeders are almost as good as the Acolytes. The X7's are better IMO, being similar to the old Speedcast range's action, just a little lighter and more 'alert' if you get what I mean.

I don't understand why the X5 range includes feeder and match rods, and the X7 only feeders? I expect the X7 range would have lent itself to a far better float blank and made a top quality match rod.

Blueboy24

Hi
Ive got an X5 distance heavy power feeder @ 12 ft and its a cracking piece of kit. Mated to a 5000 reel loaded with 12 lb line using a 25g method feeder, i can lob this 70 yards to within about 6ft of where i want it to set down EASILLY.
Big waters arnt a problem, and the fish playing ability of this rod is fantastic. There is a dark side though - The beautiful carbon chequering effect only extends about 2ft up the rod from the butt, otherwise its a dull dark grey and the 3 oz tip snapped after only a few trips out. Also the bag it came in is a bit cheap looking.
This is a very good rod and would recommend to any of you guys who like to fish big waters, but is a bit like using a hammer to crack eggs at smaller venues... Overall would give 8/10.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I have the Speedmaster 9/11ft and it's one of the best feeder rods I've used. Superb for commercials and will land any sized carp you're likely to encounter as well as a superb Bream rod. I would be tempted by an X7 however personally I wouldn't buy a rod that doesn't have quiver tips as one accidental wrap over and the tip has gone. A flawed concept as far as I'm concerned.

I have heard noting but good reviews on the 9/11ft X5 if it's close to the Speedmaster it will be a very nice rod.

Philnun87

hey,

has anyone seen any spare spliced tips for the Aero X7 advertised? Like Dave I would be tempted by one as I love my speedmaster, but can’t find them anywhere. I can imagine as they are spliced tips they will be expensive having to buy the whole section? I get why they have done it but as Dave says a bit of a flawed concept in imho.

I had a waggle of the x5 yesterday and it felt like a great rod so may just get one of those. Does anyone know if spare Shimano tips are generally easy to get hold of in case of any breakages?

cheers

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I get why they have done it but as Dave says a bit of a flawed concept in imho.
Whilst I can understand the concern (and can't answer your question on spares availability), I can happily state that the concept is not flawed at all. If money is no object, having full tip sections can make for a far better rod than a carrier section and a selection of push in tips.

MrBen

They look nice, but I’m going acolyte as you can get the tips easily. I’ve had a lot of Preston rods but they seem to change their range so regularly and then getting tops can get difficult.

Philnun87

Whilst I can understand the concern (and can't answer your question on spares availability), I can happily state that the concept is not flawed at all. If money is no object, having full tip sections can make for a far better rod than a carrier section and a selection of push in tips.

I agree that spliced tips aid performance, but if you can’t get hold of spares one wrap over and you’re stuck with an unusable rod. To have to replace a whole section I am guessing is not going to be cheap either. If they are bringing out spliced tips rods the concept is flawed if they don’t have readily available spare sections as it’s not as easy as replacing a tip

Philnun87

To most anglers on the bank, unless you are sponsored, money is an object too and having to replace sections is a frustration and an extra expense. I think it will put a lot of anglers off of buying the rods (it certainly has me) which is what they are aiming to do at the end of the day, sell their products

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have 2 IM8 Drennan bomb rods they have spliced in tips and I have yet to find a rod with a better action than these for light bomb/feeder fishing for silvers. I have had them since new so probably sometime around the mid 90's they got an awful lot of use until recently and I can say I have never snapped a tip on either of them

nutmeg

Site Supporter
aero x1 range must be worth a punt £49 to £79 if you on a tight budget or pensioner like me.
A very nice rod indeed, cheap as chips,i l have the 12ft version. It has a great action, and even with a 45gram hybrid feeder, and using the 2oz tip it will launch it over 70 turns of a matrix 5500 super feeder reel with ease, not tried it yet with the 3oz tip.
Would like to know where l could get some additional spare tips, but so far my search has drawn a blank

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Above was caught using my aero x1 a couple of weeks ago, when l was bream fishing, it put a lovely bend in the rod.

Stanley

Shimano have made some great feeder rods over the years. The older “Oval” Areocast feeder rods are usually the 1st rods taken out of my bag. They have spliced tips and it does produce great rod actions.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I have the 12ft x7 distance feeder, with the 1,5/2 and 2,5oz tops, it’s a loverly rod, I’m just that extra careful when packing it away, but it’s no problem. Well worth buying in my opinion