The New River Season

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I’m really looking forward to the 16th. I’ve been buying a few bits over the past couple of weeks, still need to top up on stick floats, a few more hook lengths and some pellets for Chub. I have plenty of new stretches of Thames to explore as part of the new club book. I’m hoping to land a few decent Chub, perch and fish the float more this season.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@MarkW What stretches will you be trying this season unless your keeping it under wraps so they don't get fished to death before you have a chance to see what's there , I'll be mostly on the sturminster card, I'm considering getting a wareham card as I've never fished there waters especially for a spot of grayling come winter and for nostalgia fishing the weir in blandford and downstream as that's on there card used to catch grayling and dace and the odd trout.

MarkW

@MarkW What stretches will you be trying this season unless your keeping it under wraps so they don't get fished to death before you have a chance to see what's there , I'll be mostly on the Sturminster card, I'm considering getting a Wareham card as I've never fished there waters especially for a spot of grayling come winter and for nostalgia fishing the weir in Blandford and downstream as that's on there card used to catch grayling and dace and the odd trout.
I'm keeping quiet about it. I have no idea what I'll find given the many years since I fished some of these stretches, others I have yet to see apart from on Google Earth. It's something I do every year and I have plenty of failures along the way that don't translate into videos. In some cases working out the best time of year/conditions is far from easy.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
as Silverfisher says - first couple of weeks are often a disappointment ... but still quietly excited by the prospect.
I'm starting with an open match on the Upper Great Ouse on the 19th June.

bezzer

I really can't wait until the river season begins again. Due to health problems last year I only managed 3 trips to the Severn.
This year, (health permitting) I want to get to the Severn at least twice a month. Target as ever will be Barbel. I'd like a double, PB is currently 8lb 8oz.
I'm hoping to be on the banks the first weekend in July, even though it's usually pretty poor fishing when it's warm and the water is low.

nigeljohn123

I'll be targeting the bream and Tench on the Ouse in Cambridgeshire , have the 16th and 17th off work and have ordered the bait just have to hope the fish turn up now...

PAULMK5

Got this lovely stretch of Ouse in mk to try out,never fished it before.

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_115100812_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220410_115100812_HDR.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220410_115104689_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220410_115104689_HDR.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 13

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got this lovely stretch of Ouse in mk to try out,never fished it before.
Which stretch is that? Been toying with joining MKAA as the passenham/stony Stratford areas is relatively close to me. Day ticket as well but unfortunately not easy day tickets to get hold of.

Also if you’re from those parts I don’t suppose you know what the rights are to the right bank at stony Stratford? Is MKAA left bank as far as I can tell but there’s no signage on the right bank but it’s clearly fished and very convenient access in terms the carpark off calverton road just as you go into stony Stratford.

PAULMK5

It's bradwell stretch,next to bradwell lake. I will find out about other stretches for you.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Yep can’t wait to get back on the river. I’ve been walking the banks the last few weeks watching the levels and activity. Seen lots of spawning, feeding, fry, flooding. The water currently looks great, the problem is the banks; 8ft high nettles and more collapsed trees. Even the 9ft rod will be a struggle, might have to invest in a 7 ft stalker.

Spotted yesterday mid river: