The mysteries of the modern pole package

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
When I started polefishing there wasn’t internet to research, got pole magazine, and trial and error and common sense, and asking questions in the tackle shop or on the bank 💁‍♂️
I’m surprised you haven’t pointed him towards NOTNs excellent instruction on pole fishing for beginners. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

rudd

Site Supporter
The only tip I can give, if you cant put a pole together, do not take up carp fishing and buy a set of delkims.
They have instructions but you still need a degree in astro physics to set them up!

ATTICUS FINCH

I bought one after my first Maggotdrowning match

I watched the others bang out fish after fish using them and my rods and reel set up didnt look so effective then

asked the others about what I needed and bought a proper drainpipe, an old tri cast XRS Venom, (nobody could break that)

then pestered the winner of that first gig to teach me the dark arts
I remember it well Mick , a proper hiding for everyone that day mate . Twas the first time we met .

ATTICUS FINCH

My first encounter with a pole was a bit of a wtf time .
I had a mate elasticate the two tops I had and I set the pole up in the garden and gave it a waggle whilst sitting on my box . I can do this thinks I , no I bloody can't . Took it to a club lake known for hoards of two ounce Rudd , set everything up and ship out all 13mtrs ( Muppet) float buried and I lifted into the fish , whaaaaat !!!!! It was a four pound tench and I didn't have a bloody clue. I ended up taking every section off as I shipped in . I remember thinking this pole lark is too much like bloody hard work . It was another two years before I actually had the balls to use it again. I had watched others using them so learnt by watching . It was only a very small club I belonged to and was the first to use a pole . Winning a few matches soon saw others investing in them .

Whisker

Site Supporter
I also went from a margin pole up to a Whisker XLS and I agree, it is a bit daunting.

When you open up you’re delivered package it is a bit like “wtf!”... so many pieces of pole you’ve never seen before! I was lucky, I had someone come round to help show me what was what and piece it all together (thanks @grumpy44 I am eternally grateful).

I’ve had my Whisker 6 years now and still wouldn’t know what to do with a dolly butt or a half butt extension because mine hasn’t got one. I manage to do what I need to but no doubt when it comes to replacing it, I’ll be like the OP all over again 😳😂

Foul hooked

I think the point of the op wasn't so much how to use a pole but how it all fits together utilising the short extensions.

It seemed to be about using it and handling it, and routine care of it as well
A bit of both really. I was moved to start the thread as i was somewhat bewildered by all the bits in the bag and how they fitted together, but whilst i have owned and used a basic pole for many years, i suspect that i have been doing it all wrong as it was built like a scaffold pole (but without the rigidity lol) and so did not need any special handling (when using it short i simply held it like a rod with the end tucked under my elbow for balance and leverage. At anything over 8m it was practically unfishable due to its weight). Having read a few horror stories about breaking sections and feeling how flimsy the new one feels it also got me to thinking about this. Also cleaning and care instructions? Basically i usually just wipe my rods etc down with a damp cloth after use, but i see people using tippex and all sorts on poles to mark depth and wanted to be sure this is safe and would not cause any sort of deterioration to the structure or finish of the pole.
Notwithstanding the above, some of the advice so far has been extremely useful. Thanks to everyone who has chipped in

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A bit of both really. I was moved to start the thread as i was somewhat bewildered by all the bits in the bag and how they fitted together, but whilst i have owned and used a basic pole for many years, i suspect that i have been doing it all wrong as it was built like a scaffold pole (but without the rigidity lol) and so did not need any special handling (when using it short i simply held it like a rod with the end tucked under my elbow for balance and leverage. At anything over 8m it was practically unfishable due to its weight). Having read a few horror stories about breaking sections and feeling how flimsy the new one feels it also got me to thinking about this. Also cleaning and care instructions? Basically i usually just wipe my rods etc down with a damp cloth after use, but i see people using tippex and all sorts on poles to mark depth and wanted to be sure this is safe and would not cause any sort of deterioration to the structure or finish of the pole.
Notwithstanding the above, some of the advice so far has been extremely useful. Thanks to everyone who has chipped in
You should have been a diplomat mate, cleared it up nicely. 👍👍👍

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I totally get your original post. Two years ago, I switched from an 11m pole (purchased 30 years ago) to a 16m Sensas jobby with an array of extensions & short sections. I too was confused....still am really because I never fish it long these days.

piscatorial

With the short extensions you'll find these are much stronger to take the pressure from your arm when using the pole at longer lengths.
I would advise you to always use these where possible ( sometimes fishing up close to an island the extension puts you on the island) until you become more proficient at using the pole.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I too can sympathise with the OP.
When I bought my first pole, a Maver M25, I was disappointed to find that the 14.5m section did not fit properly.
Took it back to the shop, Gerry's of Morecambe, and showed them.
Gerry looked hard at the 14.5m section, then flipped it round 180º and reattached it.

As I left the shop later, all four staff stood outside the door and waved to me.
How nice of them. :hello: