The mysteries of the modern pole package

Foul hooked

So I am now the proud owner of a matrix mtx3 ultra pole kit. What I do not have is an instruction manual for said item.
My pole fishing experience is limited to a cheap bog standard (horrible, heavy and bendy)pole with one spare top kit, so it was time to take the plunge and get myself something decent.
On opening up the excellent quality hold-all it was a different world. Each top kit (pre elasticated with my choice of elastics by the very helpful north notts angling) comes in its own tube, then the pole (with cupping kit inside) and 14.5 and 16 metre sections in three others. I also bought a short no 3 which also comes in its own tube.
All fine so far. Then comes the complicated bit. Two mini extensions, marked mini extension 1 and 2, which gives no clue as to how they attach to the pole. Much trial and error and I finally worked out that one fits onto section 7 or 8 and the other, shorter one onto either section 9 or 10 by reversing them around.
Oh, and then there is an empty, thin tube in the hold-all which I have no idea what is for. None of the bits fit into it! First thought was maybe for short top kit, but it’s not wide enough.
A simple instruction leaflet with a list of contents, what fits where and perhaps some simple care and maintenance instructions (heard of breakages due to incorrect hold when striking/playing fish but no idea what is incorrect hold) surely isn’t too much to ask when this is a major investment. There must be lots of others like me who are splashing out on a “proper” pole for the first time.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
So I am now the proud owner of a matrix mtx3 ultra pole kit. What I do not have is an instruction manual for said item.
My pole fishing experience is limited to a cheap bog standard (horrible, heavy and bendy)pole with one spare top kit, so it was time to take the plunge and get myself something decent.
On opening up the excellent quality hold-all it was a different world. Each top kit (pre elasticated with my choice of elastics by the very helpful north notts angling) comes in its own tube, then the pole (with cupping kit inside) and 14.5 and 16 metre sections in three others. I also bought a short no 3 which also comes in its own tube.
All fine so far. Then comes the complicated bit. Two mini extensions, marked mini extension 1 and 2, which gives no clue as to how they attach to the pole. Much trial and error and I finally worked out that one fits onto section 7 or 8 and the other, shorter one onto either section 9 or 10 by reversing them around.
Oh, and then there is an empty, thin tube in the hold-all which I have no idea what is for. None of the bits fit into it! First thought was maybe for short top kit, but it’s not wide enough.
A simple instruction leaflet with a list of contents, what fits where and perhaps some simple care and maintenance instructions (heard of breakages due to incorrect hold when striking/playing fish but no idea what is incorrect hold) surely isn’t too much to ask when this is a major investment. There must be lots of others like me who are splashing out on a “proper” pole for the first time.
There’s plenty of instructional videos on YouTube,that show you correct seating position, setting up rollers, shipping in and out , etc ... tackle manufacturers take it for granted that anyone spending that kind of money on a pole , would of dipped their toe in the water before, using a less expensive pole, basically to see if they like pole fishing, and would have learned the basics, such as holding a pole ....You don’t get an instruction manual with a rod or reel do you ??

Foul hooked

I agree, and I do know most of the basics, although in respect of correct hold this was never an issue with my old thick walled pole, whereas modern ones feel very thin. My point really is that the cheaper, more basic pole that most start out with as you suggest, do not come with all these extensions etc. Without any specific markings or instructions, trying to work out where the extensions fitted was a bit of a mission.
(Take your point regarding rods but all my reels have maintenance instructions with them.)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I agree, and I do know most of the basics, although in respect of correct hold this was never an issue with my old thick walled pole, whereas modern ones feel very thin. My point really is that the cheaper, more basic pole that most start out with as you suggest, do not come with all these extensions etc. Without any specific markings or instructions, trying to work out where the extensions fitted was a bit of a mission.
(Take your point regarding rods but all my reels have maintenance instructions with them.)
I know but , it’s got moving parts etc, a rod doesn’t come with a maintenance manual 💁‍♂️Basically general maintenance of a pole is to keep it clean , make sure no grit and dirt gets in the joints..wipe over with baby wipes or similar, but be careful, as you’ve already discovered, it’s a delicate item , and not to be bashed about , dropped, kicked etc ....but in general use, just be careful until you get used to it, ...I take it you brought pole rollers, if not I would suggest buying 2...there are several good YouTube videos on how to position pole rollers to avoid breakages 👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The mini butts usually have a number on them like 6 or 7 ,or 9 or 10 . Dont squeeze hard on pole ,dont press thumb hard ,hold gentle and let the elastics do the work especially on bigger fish , dont ship in when the fish are running away ,take your time and learn the strength of your pole . Rollers set right and sitting position play a massive part ,at no time should you really force your pole ,ballanced tackle ,elastic ,hook and hooklengths is the name of the game ,ease the munsters in . Try and get the rollers set up and leg position as a third roller (Jamie Hughes) at no point will you have entire weight of pole in the air then . Be gentle and take your time its not a race unless smaller fish where you can hurry a bit more. I guess each section will be £100 plus so protect your investment and giod luck and tight lines . As Chef said youtube everything ,put little markers on your pole where mini butts fit ,maybe a sticker or a bit of tape.

robert d

Site Supporter
hes right though yer know

I can remember when I first got a pole, I was green as grass with all the terms and parlances used to describe bits and what went where

luckily I had a good teacher to hand who took me under his wing and helped me out a lot
Yes thats how i broke my first pole no knowledge ,greener than grass ,held pole wrong ,set up rollers wrong ,you name it i did it wrong lol. Then i found this site youtube and lots and lots of pole magazines and looking at setups on the bank . Expensive lessons learnt the hard way 😁

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yes thats how i broke my first pole no knowledge ,greener than grass ,held pole wrong ,set up rollers wrong ,you name it i did it wrong lol. Then i found this site youtube and lots and lots of pole magazines and looking at setups on the bank . Expensive lessons learnt the hard way 😁
When I started polefishing there wasn’t internet to research, got pole magazine, and trial and error and common sense, and asking questions in the tackle shop or on the bank 💁‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I use 3 rollers when fishing 16m or longer (unless the bank layout means breaking down). Start with a lightish elastic and hooklength and gradually work up both, to get a feel of the pole and it’s capabilities.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I started polefishing there wasn’t internet to research, got pole magazine, and trial and error and common sense, and asking questions in the tackle shop or on the bank 💁‍♂️
I bought one after my first Maggotdrowning match

I watched the others bang out fish after fish using them and my rods and reel set up didnt look so effective then

asked the others about what I needed and bought a proper drainpipe, an old tri cast XRS Venom, (nobody could break that)

then pestered the winner of that first gig to teach me the dark arts

robert d

Site Supporter
Personally I use 3 rollers when fishing 16m or longer (unless the bank layout means breaking down). Start with a lightish elastic and hooklength and gradually work up both, to get a feel of the pole and it’s capabilities.
I got 3 rollers for the same idea , also can be handy if you fish say 13m to 16m and then decide in 11m approach, you still have 2 rollers minimum , i also like Chefs idea of a roller to the side when fishing down the edge ,no trying to bring the pole all the way around 😉, thats a top tip from Gazza

JLK

Don't mean to sound funny or anything, but when spending a £1000+ on a new pole didn't you do you homework first by asking about on here, Google or maybe even asking the shop you bought it from for some advice?
Caution and care is definitely needed when going from a thick walled pole to the upgrade you now have or the expensive pole could be a broken pole quite quickly. Ask away on here. Loads of advice available if in doubt 👍🏻
Good luck with the new toy anyway. I'm sure once you get used to it it will become second nature in next to no time.😀

Griffo

Site Supporter
As you had the nice men that know elasticate your pole, the slim empty tube was a No 1 section, the No 2 would have been in the MTX 3, when you got it elasticated the No1 and No2 would be separate as a top two kit.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A lot has changed since I started pole fishing 22 years ago. Thinner walled poles I think mean you see a lot more and a lot bigger rollers on the bank.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I agree with what others have said about rollers & clean caps etc.

When comes to cleaning you pole I recommend wiping it down with water first and the spray some furnish polish on some kitchen roll. Wipe the polish on each section but the important thing is not to do the male joint of the section! Then wipe off the furniture polish with a clean piece of kitchen roll, it’s amazing your pole will look like it’s brand new every time. This is something I’ve learnt from Paul Holland

Foul hooked

Don't mean to sound funny or anything, but when spending a £1000+ on a new pole didn't you do you homework first by asking about on here, Google or maybe even asking the shop you bought it from for some advice?
Caution and care is definitely needed when going from a thick walled pole to the upgrade you now have or the expensive pole could be a broken pole quite quickly. Ask away on here. Loads of advice available if in doubt 👍🏻
Good luck with the new toy anyway. I'm sure once you get used to it it will become second nature in next to no time.😀
Yeah I’m not that easily separated from my hard earned. I actually started a thread asking for advice watched any you tube reviews I could find even had quick waggle with one to try out the weight and balance but never with any extensions on. Makes sense re the tube. I do have a very basic roller but am definitely going to invest in some decent quality ones along with a roost and pole socks