The most useless gimmick

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
At the very last Chatsworth show I bought a flexible plastic arm which you attached to your octoplus frame. It had a small cup on the end which you filled with maggots and then bent the arm back and released. The idea, was that the maggots would be flicked out towards your float and this could be achieved single handedly. I set it up, carefully filled it with maggots; pulled and released. 3 pulls later I had two cups of maggots in my left ear and a third cup down the back of my neck; useless piece of junk.:cry: What's the worst gimmick you have had?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Fishing waggler at distance, I was looking for a method of delivering maggots beyond catty range.
A mate suggested balling them in using StickyMag.

Ten minutes of mixing and kneading had me covered to the elbows on the stuff, took ages to wash it off.
The first ball of maggots flew straight and true, dead on target.

The second, larger ball stuck in the catty cup, did a 180º turn, and smacked me straight in the face.
I snorted a couple of maggots out of my nose, then stripped off to remove those which had gone down the neck of my shirt.
I chucked the stuff out.
I suppose it gave my mate some amusement, he was chuckling all day.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
But it works, you just haven't worked out how to do it yet. Small balls work best, up to golf ball no bigger. Lob them with a gentle catty as when you use to much force they do tend to stick in the cup. As the outside of each ball dry's a bit but if using to much force or squeeze the ball the tacky inside can grip the pouch.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
At the very last Chatsworth show I bought a flexible plastic arm which you attached to your octoplus frame. It had a small cup on the end which you filled with maggots and then bent the arm back and released. The idea, was that the maggots would be flicked out towards your float and this could be achieved single handedly. I set it up, carefully filled it with maggots; pulled and released. 3 pulls later I had two cups of maggots in my left ear and a third cup down the back of my neck; useless piece of junk.:cry: What's the worst gimmick you have had?
That's so funny lol I've done it with a catapult lmao

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve bought loads of gadgets that have been forcefully thrown at the bin. In my experience most things with a suction cup are useless and anything that claims to have self adhesive fixing.

I’ve bought loads of fishing stuff I saw in videos that I’ve only used once, if at all. Bagging wagglers spring to mind. They are pointless until you‘ve got about fifty fish feeding in a small area close to the surface. I’m sure they can be lethal in the right situation but I’ve had no success with them at all. Just managed to scare every fish out of my swim.

Zerkalo

Can't think of anything really useless but lots of things you could say are designed to catch the angler. Things like the 2 tone camouflage line I'm looking at just now (can't blame tackle companies for trying to innovate). And same with new methods like the Jigga or Slow Sinking Feeder that end up being deadly in the right situation.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Can't think of anything really useless but lots of things you could say are designed to catch the angler. Things like the 2 tone camouflage line I'm looking at just now (can't blame tackle companies for trying to innovate). And same with new methods like the Jigga or Slow Sinking Feeder that end up being deadly in the right situation.
Can you remember lockable bait tins?

johng19

me@home.com
Iv used jigga method good few times, find it work well. But like anything that works to good for some they start to ban.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
In the mid 90s went to the Birmingham angling fair at the nec and tried the roller glove. I kid you not there were small rollers set into a glove you wore on your left hand to aid shipping the pole. It was truly terrible and I felt for the guy as he said he had remortgaged his house to put everything into the product, never ever seen anyone using them.

me and my mate did buy an Ezefeeder in the 90s, the scoop catapult one handed device endorsed by Bob Nudd I think. It was terrible to use and make such a din when using it and wasn’t very accurate, didn’t last long.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can remember one gadget that was used for groundbait. It made the balls exactly the same size every time...brilliant, except for one small problem, they were too big to fit in a catty. They wouldn't even go in a whopper dropper because when you pulled it back, the ball of groundbait got squashed and you ended up covered in it.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Iv used jigga method good few times, find it work well. But like anything that works to good for some they start to ban.
That is a very good point mate, It annoys me when the 'few' get a method banned which does not harm the fish and is within everyone's capability to emulate it e.g. slapping your pole tip on the water or pouring water out of a pole cup to make a splash. The green eyed monster springs to mind.