The mind of a 6 year old.

JayD

Site Supporter
I picked my Grandson, (he who likes the 'swimming baby song'), up from school yesterday, to come for his regular wednesday fish and chips. After tea he had a mooch around his dads old room checking how far my decorating had progressed so he could have a 'sleep over'. He noticed my old dartboard, and asked if he could have a 'go'. I set it up at a height for him, and we spent 20 minutes or so 'practising'. We came downstairs and he proudly told Grandma that his highest score had been 61. Grandma said 'well done, when you get bigger you can play against Grandad, he'll like that'. He turned round from playing with his Lego, and shook his head. When asked what that meant, he said that we (my wife and I} won't be here when he's all grown up. We asked what he meant, and he said 'You'll be just gone, but I promise I'll never ever forget you, I'll remember you both for ever and ever', and casually went back to building his Lego. I'll admit to slight lump in my throat, and a damp eye on hearing those words. When asked who's been talking about that, he said 'nobody, I got it from my brain'. I mentioned it to his dad when I took him home, and he's no idea where it came from.
It left both my wife and I with mixed feelings, slightly disturbed, but also feeling more assured for his future, when we've 'gone'.
It struck a chord with me personally, because my father died when I was 10, and it affected my thoughts and actions for many years after.

I'm sure that kid's been here before judging by some of the things he says.

John.

Last edited:

SeanB

Site Supporter
One of the other cake makers my other half knows was telling her that she had got an order for a Lion King cake, but the little girl who's cake it was insisted that it had to be the scene where Mufasa dies, that way everyone would be too sad to eat cake and it would leave more for her 😂

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I picked my Grandson, (he who likes the 'swimming baby song'), up from school yesterday, to come for his regular wednesday fish and chips. After tea he had a mooch around his dads old room checking how far my decorating had progressed so he could have a 'sleep over'. He noticed my old dartboard, and asked if he could have a 'go'. I set it up at a height for him, and we spent 20 minutes or so 'practising'. We came downstairs and he proudly told Grandma that his highest score had been 61. Grandma said 'well done, when you get bigger you can play against Grandad, he'll like that'. He turned round from playing with his Lego, and shook his head. When asked what that meant, he said that we (my wife and I} won't be here when he's all grown up. We asked what he meant, and he said 'You'll be just gone, but I promise I'll never ever forget you, I'll remember you both for ever and ever', and casually went back to building his Lego. I'll admit to slight lump in my throat, and a damp eye on hearing those words. When asked who's been talking about that, he said 'nobody, I got it from my brain'. I mentioned it to his dad when I took him home, and he's no idea where it came from.
It left both my wife and I with mixed feelings, slightly disturbed, but also feeling more assured for his future, when we've 'gone'.
It struck a chord with me personally, because my father died when I was 10, and it affected my thoughts and actions for many years after.

I'm sure that kid's been here before judging by some of the things he says.

John.
JayD, mate your last sentence töök the words out of my mouth!

willothewisp

willothewisp
When working in shed I used give son Stephen, then 5 or 6, a few nails hammer and wood. He'd happily bang away to "help" me make something. Out of the blue he casually asked, "Dad can I have your tools when you're a little old man and nearly dead?"
Yes of course I said, "But why are you asking now?"
"Well I want to ask before Rachel (sister), 'cos she's a girl and you know what they're like."
40 years ago and I still remember that one.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I've told my daughters that I shall never be respond to anyone calling me "grandad". First name terms please, I'm far too young!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Life is shorter than we all think Don’t put off while tomorrow something you’d like to do today as tomorrow may never come.
Or................................. Don’t put off while tomorrow something you’d like to do today, because if you like what you're doing today you can do it again tomorrow. :upthumb:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just awaiting the outcome of negotiations for some bespoke stuff for it Mick. ;)
Oh yeah oh yeah. While the rest of us are sat on our old creaky creels you are sat on your throne. 🙄 And I thought you were one of us Peter. How many nuggets have you won ? 🤣🤣🤣

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
When my daughter was 3. We were walking home from nursery and an ambulance went past. She looked at me and said 'people die in ambulances' as she was only 3 I tried to reassure her but she got very upset with me. She went on to tell me that she died in an ambulance when she was a little boy, She was in a car crash with her dad but he couldn't get her out.
The next day she started talking about a man called Ben who used to come visit her every night. She said he had a poorly leg and used to wake her up to ask if she was ok. This went on for months until we moved house.
Frightened the s*** out if me.

John Step

Site Supporter
They say very young children sometimes remember birth. I never believed until one grandaughter who had just learned to speak commented on a bright light being turned on. She said " just like being born". As a twin she was a caesarean birth.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
My youngest was indignant that my eldest was getting to have a ride in a limousine (something to do with school). She was banging on about how it wasn’t fair that Libby got to have a go in a big car with a box in it. Myself and the Missus were intrigued as to what she meant by a “box”, did she mean a fridge?, A TV, a bar with drinks and food?. No, she thought her big sister was getting to have a ride in a hearse....