The Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

stemlfc

Steve
I'm rather new to this method but last few sessions I've had some good fish using it and in the past it's always been a reliable source to catch. However I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong.

The best success I've had has been by using a bog-standard method feeder, running rig with about three inches, with primarily two hair rigged pieces of corn. Also switching between small boilies, flavoured corn, meat or halibut pellets.

Would it be better to use a fixed feeder rather than a running one when using a hair rig or not?

I feel it would be better to use a fixed rig as the hook would (hopefully) manage to hook the fish anyway.

bream dream

up the Villa.
the method wether it be inline(running)or elasticated(fixed)is self hooking(bolt),the fish is hooked by the weight of the feeder and short hooklength.hense the need not to strike.

the best way to hook your bait is on a hair as this tends to hook the fish better.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Do check first whether fixed feeders are allowed on the venues you are fishing!
Where it's permitted, I prefer the in-line type where the hook length swivel is pushed into plastic tubing running through the feeder. Under pressure it will release, and seems like the best of both worlds.
[:)]

alcockmat

try just usind double maggot, i have found it ups your catch ratewithout sacrificing size of fish,

carp-catcha

Recently I've been using the method a lot on rivers and lakes and got some good results with a new quick and easy mix, which I will detail now...

A few handfuls of mixed pellet, don't worry about size but get some oily and tutti frutti numbers, a handful of dry dog food if available and a hanful of corn. Chuck em all in a bait bucket or box. Boil the kettle 3/4s of the way and pour just enough to cover the bottom layer. Put the lid on the bucket, leave for an hour and hey presto a quick sticking method mix which can produce some big fish very quickly.

stemlfc

Steve
Sorry guys, my question hasn't been answered. [:I]

I know what baits I'm going to use (though carp catcha, that sounds a cracking mix).

It's just a general knowledge question really.

I'm using a small inline method feeder which I normally give about three inches of running space (unlocked rig). However, because I'm using primarily a hair rig (though the option to switch through a snap swivel as I have several other rigs).

Would a locked, un-running rig work better with a hair rig? As the fish tend to almost self-hook.

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
A fixed or running are both ''fixed'' when on the bottom as the line runs straight to the rod top. The bolt rig action is then from the rod not the feeder. The reason people use fixed or un-fixed ie running is for safety reasons if you get a breakage. A fixed feeder which breaks off can be dragged around by the fish and cause its death.

If you want a good self hooking hook try the Guru QM1 as they are great. Also try different weights of feeder as this can get you some extra fish. Don't stick to a few baits either. I fish a place where pellet is the usual bait but when I changed to bread, which is never used , I got a much better response.

keith74

THFC
Originally posted by Milo

Don't stick to a few baits either. I fish a place where pellet is the usual bait but when I changed to bread, which is never used , I got a much better response.
thats why you,ve been doing so well at rolfs then fred[:D][:D][;)][:p]

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
I shouldn't let all my secretes out should I [8D] [8D]

wes1772000

Originally posted by alcockmat

try just usind double maggot, i have found it ups your catch ratewithout sacrificing size of fish,

dead maggot best it doen,t break up the goundbait[:W]

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Why double corn? You might do better on single, although i think most people use a 6mm hair rigged pellet. With either corn or a pellet, I find a short hair is best, the bait almost touching the bend of the hook.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
The OP's question - I've only ever used free running so can't compare like for like, but I find that fish self hook very well with a hair rig as above.

paulod

Site Supporter
I may have missed it on one of your replies, but you could try the Guru 'X-Safe' feeders if they're allowed on your venue. They're effectively fixed and elasticated, but will fall off if you get broken, unlike standard fixed elasticated method feeders.
Some venues where 'free-running only'was the rule now allow these feeders, and they're excellent (in my 'still new to the method' opinion!).

Status
Not open for further replies.