The method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmz

Following on from a thread I started a while ago I decided I'm going to try out the method. I have a few garbolino feeders and the mould. I'll be using it on a commercial fishery which has all the usual carp (common, mirror, crucian), tench, bream etc and I'd guess mostly carp.

Questions are, should I use a small or large feeder for this time of year? Should I fish to a feature (island or reeds) or open water? Which groundbait (swimstim has been recommended) and what hookbait (no boilies are allowed).

Failing that, if someone could just point me in the direction of a good article on the method and how to do it, that would do too [:D]

pole addict

Small feeder, it's still only just spring and you dont want to overfeed.

Definately fish to a feature. It will be a natural patrol route rather than trying to ambush fish in open water. Use the line clip and take your time,

Corn,meat, hard and soft pellets. Hair rig them for the best results.

Green swimstim is good stuff but there are lots of other method mixes worth trying too.

Dont strike at any indications. The fish should hook itself and even a small carp will wrap round a light tip.
The smaller indications are when the fish are nudging the feeder. The sharp and fast tugs will be line bites. Wait for that almighty wrap round that almost pulls the rod from the rest and just pick up the rod and wind it in slowly.

Have a good day mate, it's great fun [:T]

schueyace

I agree with pole addict it is great fun fishing the method,the only thing i would add is dont leave your rod or sit to far away from it because it will be gone otherwise.

MuckFish

One other thing, as the water is still cold at the moment, try leaving the feeder in for 15 mins or so, rather than pulling it out every 5 mins, like in the summer; especially if you are getting line bites [:T]

Jmz

Cheers for all the help.

One other thing, if I use groundbait in the feeder and say corn on the hook, should I mix some bits of corn in with the groundbait?

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
You can add some bits if you like, it depends how the fish are feeding. It`s sometimes best to have the the only piece of food available being your hookbait.
Mainly I agree with pole addicts reply.
A little tip when starting fishing, I learned this the hard way.
Assuming you are fishing to a feature or the other bank, you will need to use the line clip so you cast to the same spot every time. On your first cast out do not attach the hooklength, so if you overshoot you won`t get stuck. When you have set up your distance and are ready to cast out a full method feeder remember that when the line stops on the line clip the extra weight of a full feeder will pull the rod tip forwards another foot or more and could land you in trouble if you`re not expecting it.

petert

I use 2mm pellet this time of year with a small feeder.
I have had catches of 39,49,30,41 and 42 all bream upto 3lb in open water if you cast to a feature cast about 1metre from it
I was using pineapple hard pellet on a band.I use a carp backstop and a front rest so I have my hands free like the above don't strike thou.

Jmz

Yea, I was using micro pellets with a cage feeder at the weekend but I can only use the fishery's own feed pellets so I'm sort of limited to what I can try like that.

Thanks for all the help.

Could anybody reccommend a method mix I could use? Something that's easy to mix and use but effective, I've been looking at the Dynamite Baits ones and the Sonubaits ones so far. And where's best to buy it from?

Matty Love

I've been having great success with baittech Voodoo mix. Or it's called Karma in some places. I think they had a legal problem over the name.

anyhoo, i've found it to be a really good mix. Doesn't need a lot of water and holds well to the feeder but not too much.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Just made a mix for tomorrow at Lindholme Lakes. 2mm and 4mm feeder pellets, Lindholmes own brand, mixed with Swim Stim green Koi groundbait. Nice smelly mix, holds together well but breaks down quickly.

tazz

Baitechs Envy and Sonubait F1,a pint of lake or rain water per kilo of groundbait is the norm,i stick 2 that and it`s perfect every time.[:T]

pole addict

Originally posted by Brian the Fish

Just made a mix for tomorrow at Lindholme Lakes. 2mm and 4mm feeder pellets, Lindholmes own brand, mixed with Swim Stim green Koi groundbait. Nice smelly mix, holds together well but breaks down quickly.

I had to add some green swim stim when I over wetted my micros's on Oasis. It worked quite well.
Did I tell you I won my section [?][:p][:D][:D][:D][:T]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
If you`d have used 4mm + micros + Swim Stim you might have done better.
ps. I won my lake. nuuhh

pole addict

Originally posted by Brian the Fish

If you`d have used 4mm + micros + Swim Stim you might have done better.
ps. I won my lake. nuuhh

I didn't want to blow my trumpet too much Brian but you may want to look at the results as far as lake winners goes [;)][:D][:D][:D][:T]

OASIS

Peg Name Weight

2 Keith74 21.13
4 Silverman 27.07
6 R.Bennett 9.00
8 Steak 6.00
10 Fish4alarf DNW
12 Jase72 DNW
14 Teepee DNW
16 Godber 19.05
18 Looney 30.02 (section winner)
20 DannysDad 5.00
22 Phil K 10.01

24 Butlerdad 12.00
26 Slim DNW
28 Mark Severn 13.07
30 DaiFish 3.14
32 G Clay 7.02
34 HellsBells 34.08 (section winner)
36 Griff06 17.04
38 DaveyP 8.05
40 Bloomer 8.01
42 Pegasus 24.12
44 Simple 31.12

46 Worker1 8.12
48 Jammy 7.07
50 Seatham6 DNW
52 RealIdeas DNW
54 Butler 11.14
56 Tinny 15.12
58 Wormdangler 8.10
60 Gal2009 6.12
62 Freemason 12.13
64 Mitchx69 39.12
66 Pole Addict 40.13 (section winner)
68 Dave Moore 24.06

Last edited:

Jmz

Cheers for all the help with this. I bought some swim stim groundbait and some of that marukyu ground bait and pellets to try out tomorrow.

I was looking up how to set my rig up (so I can pre tie some hooklengths) and I came across this article: http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/how-to/Coarse-fishing-advice/Fishing-Rigs/Search-Results/Feeder-rigs/In-Line-Method-Feeder-rig/

It says to use a strong hooklength (8-12lb). So if I'm using 8lb Daiwa sensor what breaking strain hooklenth should I use? I normally use 6lb stroft but I also have some 10lb esp ghost.

Last edited:

pole addict

I would use a hooklength to match the size of fish you expect to catch. Don't go too light though because the bites are so fierce that you need something quite substantial and hardwearing to avoid getting snapped on the bite.

I personally wouldn't go below a 5 lb hooklength. I use 0.15mm powerline ( 5 lb 14 oz ). If I expect bigger fish I step up to 0.17mm.( 6 lb 12 oz ).

Status
Not open for further replies.