The Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polepot

Poles
Guy's,

I'm going to Drayton on the 20th. and I have read the postings with interest and had some great advice via Email from Malc.

However, I am new to "The Method" approach for Carp fishing. Can anyone recommend a decent site or give me some advice. I have an old ABU Carp Rod TC 1.5lb and I went to the shops and bought some Method Feeders - but do I need braid for the hook lengths?

Help will be greatfully accepted

TIA Poles

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Poles,
Firstly mate.i have to say that i don't like braided hooklengths used in conjunction with method feeders (this is only my personal view) having seen a lot of carp with damaged mouths where braid hooklengths have been used with heavy method feeders and bolt rigs.
Method fishing has been discussed a couple of times.
You might want to look here and here.
Anyone with any other thoughts??????? All gratefully recieved.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Nick,

Interested to see that you have read the Drayton Postings with Interest!

(but not with care?)

MALC'S list of venue bans (Goin Fishing /Drayton Reservoir)shows that braid is the no.1 ban!,so you won't have to worry about buying that!

BUT that Nick, is me finished! I'm desperately in need of help too, on this awesome weight venue!

MALC, Hand's in air (and I'm relieved to find even Martin wasn't sure)

You refer often to the Bagging Waggler! Is this what I know as the method waggler, where the swimfeeder is built into the base of the waggler float, wag and mag? where catapult loose feed is continuously fired round the float? or something totally different?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 02 May 2002 05:02:18 AM

MALC

Nick & Trev and every body else who's interested !

THE METHOD

This is a Frame (type) Feeder that has elastic running through it and is fished normaly with a short hook length.
The elastic grade can vary according to the size of fish exspected.
The main line attaches to the top of the feeder and the hook length to the bottom.
At Drayton you want a groundbait mix that will fall off the feeder after a short time unlike some venue's that you need the mix to still be on the feeder when you reel back in.
Some times you may need to cover your hook bait in the groundbait around the feeder at other times it is best left out side the mix.

Personaly i do not use the elasticated Method Feeders i prefer to us a semi fixed set up or free running so there is no chance of a fish being tethered in the event of a crack off on casting.
The only time i will use the elastic set up is when using the Method on the pole.

THE BAGGING WAGGLER

The Bagging Waggler is a long (6" normaly) length of cigar shaped balsa with a frame feeder fixed to the base of it.
This method is a very bizzy way of fishing shallow and at Drayton it would be fished between 30yds and 70yds out.
You mould a soft groundbait around the frame and cast out to put a cloud in the water.
I recast about every 2 mins with the Bagging Waggler.
Some people cast out and twitch then fire balls of soft groundbait at the float.

Main line for both the above need to be strong due to the weights being cast.
Personaly i use 10lb maxima for the Bagging Waggler and either 8 or 10lb maxima for the method.

Hope the above helps i've got a couple of drawings (not very good) of different ways i attach the Bagging Waggler to the main line if anyone want's me to send them to you just e-mail me and i'll send them, Would have posted them here but for some reason it wont let me (should read i can't do it).

Nick and Trev i've already sent them to you thumbsup.gif

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

scott essery

'Silver man'
Malc

in what conditions do you use what method?

I read steve ringer say that the carp move in to pole range in the evening and move out during the day so would you pole fish pellet and paste (or meat in your case)during the day?

What conditions would you use the method feeder instead of the bagging wag and vica versa?

how do you know to fish at 30 m or more like 60m?

Its sure different than the fishing the treant and mersy canal! :)

MALC

Hi Scott.
Trust you not to post for age's then come up with a question that needs a long reply blahblah.gif blahblah.gif blahblah.gif here goe's:

Don't forget the following is only what i do and sometime's i'll do the opposite to what i say, mostly it depends on the day.
quote: in what conditions do you use what method?

If there was no wind or very little then the first option would be to fish the Bagging Waggler but i would also have the Method Feeder set up and possibly the pole.
If it was windy then the Method Feeder would proberly be the first choice as it's to easy to lose the fish to the angler next door with a tow on the water but that is not to say the Bagging Waggler wont work.
In the afternoons and evening this time of year the Pole with Pellet n Paste come good so that is another option.
The Pole line has not realy started to produce much yet but by june it should start to produce more.
quote:how do you know to fish at 30 m or more like 60m?

Regards the distance to fish at the moment most of the fish are between 40 and 60yds range this i know by keeping intouch with the water even if i'm not fishing it.
But you will normally see the odd fish top if you keep an eye on the water and that is a good guide as to the distance that the fish are at.

On the Pole line i may use meat and other baits as a change bait but 99% of the time it's Pellet n Paste.

And mostly on the Bagging Wag it's Pellet or Boile normaly on a hair or Bayonet.

1 point i did not mention before is that the fish may be at any depth from bottom to the surface and sometimes a 6ft tail on the Method with a Mixer or Floating pellet will be the best option other times any thing from 1ft to 6ft tail on the Bagging Wag will be the better
option.

In conclusion Drayton is still the Heavy Weight water it was a few years ago but now most fish are bigger and wiser and although it can be an easy water at time's it can also be a tough water.

But the 1 thing thats a certainty is that once you get a bite you know about it.

Hope the above helps.

Malc

scott essery

'Silver man'
Nice one Malc, your a star icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a whole new ball game but im looking forward to using a rod and reel for a change.

but one thing i nver understood is why the method feeder workes better than a normal cage feeder and fixed patanosta?

MALC

The Method works due to the carp being either atracted to the splash on it hitting the water and also the fish are familiar with balls of groundbait and there for attack the method and get hooked on the short hook length.

Latest Drayton Update
I'll post this on all the Drayton threads (as i know i started a few).

Just finished talking to Mick the baliffe and i've booked 20 pegs on the Dam Wall from peg 35 to 54 for the 20th.
Also got permission for a match between 10am & 4pm.
So if anyone wants to meet in the cafe which is only 5mins from Drayton on the A45 at 7.30/8am i'll supply directions to it.

Malc

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yes please Malc,
I'll be there early LOL
Aint got a lot of time to practice this new stuff!

The Bagging Wagglers, Do they come in different weights,similar to standard Wagglers?
If so, what would you recommend for the extremes you mention, ie 30 and 70 yards?

Finally, is the Colmic rig on your drawing a Quick change rig, or do you switch by use of a normal float adaptor? (Sound a bit heavy to use these!)

Bet you wish you'd never started this LOL, but I do appreciate your help!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

MALC

Trev,

Regards the weights of The Bagging Waggler for casting.
One type are on Rogers sitehttp://www.floats-direct.com/ on page 2 Carp Floats named Carp Frame Feeder Wagglers these are the one's which most shops also stock but whilst they do work they are not the better one's (IMO) as they tend to wobble alot during the cast and are rather bulky and so cut down on the distance and accuracy.

Most shops will stock what is known as a large and a small which weigh about 1 or 2 oz (empty).
But you have to think of them as a feeder rather than a float.

The only place i know that sale's a large varitey of weights and size's are the Sportsmans Lodge group of tackle shops and most of them are hand made slim cigar shaped one's which fly true and straight.

As i've said before though i make my own and whilst they are cigar shaped they are also very crude (Steve W will comfirm that) as he thinks they look C*** and uses the one's sold at Sportsmans.

The link i use is attached to a snap swivel link so that i can have a couple already loaded with groundbait and just swop them over to speed up casting.
The same applies to the multi loop way i sometimes use instead of the colmic link.

I will sort out the directions to the cafe and post them early next week as from next Saturday i'll be away at WhiteAcres with Geoff & Ray, so wont be on line.

Hope that helps.

Malc

MALC

Don't know what happened there it went twice told you i had NTL probs.
Cheers Trev
It Worked.

Malc

Edited by - MALC on 04 May 2002 6:18:16 PM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Brilliant , Thanks mate,
I'll get some on order before I go, ready for Drayton on my return from Newt's

Have a great time at Whiteacre's and remember the 5er I gave you?
Give Geoff and Ray the wrong tips LOL

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
MALC Lasr oneI hope?

I said toNick that he didnt read with care, but I have to apolgise as I cant now find where you posted the Bans at Drayton!
I remember that Braid ws the 1st Ban and the size 8 hooks max, but can you direct us to the post that covers the other bans?

With all Troggs problems being a Moderator lol, I darent ask him to group these all together, but the topics are that spread across the foruns, its a nightmare keeping up to date!

Sorry mate, but I've just spent an hour looking for it and I cant find it!

To help others we have Drayton info here,under The Method by Polepot
Under Fishing Talk Drayton Res Info,by MALC
Under Going Fishing,Drayton Res. by MALC(AND CANCEL QUERY MALC, just found the bans in this one)
Also May 21st relating to next day by MALC
Under Wheres fishing Drayton Res pre May 20th by MALC

and related is Draytons? by jlw
Finally I think)
Under Club House Drayton Bivvy-up
Under Play House, by Teepee
8 threads under 5 different forums LOL and wait til we move on to the North East Bash/semmer /June 3rd!
That ones a nightmare to keep up with too icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

MALC

OOPPSS

Think i lost the plot some where along the line thinking.gif thinking.gif thinking.gif thinking.gif so heaven help the rest of you.

Think in future i'll have to think before i start any new threads.icon_smile_shy.gificon_smile_shy.gif1 RULE I MISSED
No more than 15 Carp in a keepnet
(they prefer 2 nets)
No problem if anyone has not got 2 nets though as i will weigh anyones catch in for them and then they can fill the net again,and again and again.

Malc

waxlion1

Malc!

quote:Think i lost the plot some where along the line so heaven help the rest of you.

Think in future i'll have to think before i start any new threads.

I only want to catch one carp, about a foot will do (between the eyes)

your right about the threads, they are poping up all over the place, I bet I've missed most of them.

do me a fave and mail the bans to me please.

Thx m8

YOU HAVE MAIL

Waxlion1

martin.

Account Locked
hi malc
if you like i keep our clubs pike match scales at mine reubens either 50 or 60lb complete with tripod i can bring them to split the
walking 1 set for each half.
i think ill stick to the carp rods on drayton to be on the safe side

tight lines.
martin.

MALC

Wayne,
I'll start a new thread for the rules. roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif ONLY KIDDING
I'll e-mail you.

Martin,
Spot on with the scales that will be great.

Malc

Status
Not open for further replies.