The Match you should have won

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Don’t blame it on the carp I’m convinced you do it deliberately either that or you are a very lucky rubbish angler. Poor old Vince is still suffering from PTSD years and years later.

davylad

I remember fishing a right grueler on the opposite bank to Dunham Bridge, I can't remember the name of the stretch. I weighed in with about 5 or 6 lb of roach and bits, but forgot about a few bootlaces I'd caught. The scalesmen reweighed me instead of just weighing the eels, and lo and behold, I had an ounce less with the eels, than I had without them. This was obviously due to fish drying out a bit, I should have dipped the net in the water. My head was on fire as you would expect, but it was my fault, and I ended up tying the match instead of winning it. I took some stick for it for months, probably rightly so.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don’t blame it on the carp I’m convinced you do it deliberately either that or you are a very lucky rubbish angler. Poor old Vince is still suffering from PTSD years and years later.

Poor old Vince, it broke him and he turned to the dark side so that he could hide away in a Bivvy.
Dave Wall showed promise but packed up fishing after donating one to many Nuggets at Rolf's. :(

rudd

Site Supporter
Told this story before but it always sticks in my mind.
Teams of four winter league on the river Cam. River was clear and cold. I drew upstream end peg, closest to the A14 bridge. Not on any of the noted Bream pegs but the closest peg in the match to them. Also the furthest away from any Silvers that were likely to show.
I knew it was going to be rock hard and my section was going to be won with odd Perch. So I chose a chopped worm approach on three lines. Against the tins under my feet, four metres at the bottom of the inside ledge and a 13mtr long line.
After 4 and a half hours of nothing, not even a sniff, the long line just looked suspect. There was the odd bubble coming up and I thought “ You know? I think there might be one or two fish out there“. Went out and almost straight away the float buried and I was into a Bream. It stayed on for 20-30 seconds before coming off. There goes the section I thought, and I won’t get another bite out there now. Went back out there though as I thought it was my best chance. Five minutes to go and the float buries again. Bream number two on. After a similar amount of time this one came off aswell. Not only had I connected with two fish that would have won my section, had I landed both it would have been a match win. I told the lad next to me, who had witnessed both fish, that it was Pike😂😂 just to save face. Elastic was fine, not too tight,hook came back both times without the worm masking the point. They certainly felt hooked in the mouth.
Had enough fish on the hook to walk the match but registered a DNW and Zero points. Gutted was putting it mildly😂
Must of driven over that bit hundreds of times, never seen anyone fish it.
Not far from where Bob Bradford was attacked by gypsys on his way to a match!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Must of driven over that bit hundreds of times, never seen anyone fish it.
Not far from where Bob Bradford was attacked by gypsys on his way to a match!
It doesn’t get fished that often nowadays because of the locals. Not considered safe. Add to that the rowers and accompanying loud hailer push bike idiots it’s not anyone’s idea of a peaceful day out.
Fish are still there along with some dirty great Chub.

rudd

Site Supporter
It doesn’t get fished that often nowadays because of the locals. Not considered safe. Add to that the rowers and accompanying loud hailer push bike idiots it’s not anyone’s idea of a peaceful day out.
Fish are still there along with some dirty great Chub.
Fished down at water beach near all the lillies - lovely spot.

The Runner

Site Supporter
What are you trying to infer, not my fault I'm a Cyprinus Carpio Magnet. ;)
From what I once saw @Peter can be such a magnet that the carp can almost stick to him... Drew next to him in an Intersite match on the big lake at Willow Park where he had a lot more trouble getting a fifteen pounder back in the water than he did getting it out ...
Lucky it wasn't at Rolfs, everybody involved would have probably been red carded.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
From what I once saw @Peter can be such a magnet that the carp can almost stick to him... Drew next to him in an Intersite match on the big lake at Willow Park where he had a lot more trouble getting a fifteen pounder back in the water than he did getting it out ...
Lucky it wasn't at Rolfs, everybody involved would have probably been red carded.
Lol, I do miss the Intersite matches Martin, some good laughs were had by all.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I have a good friend from Nottinghamshire, who is normally a Catcher of Barbel. ;)

He enjoys the rough & tumble of my little club matches in East Yorkshire, and often drives up the M1 to join us.
And all too often, drives back down the M1 a richer man.
One wild and windy day, he and I drew side by side in adjacent pegs which were pleasantly sheltered by trees.
The rest of the field were on the windward side, and most were just hunkered down under umbrellas, fishing the tip.
My good friend likes to taunt the club chairman , who takes his fishing very seriously, and who was really struggling on that day:
"I thought a good angler could win from any peg?" he called. No reply.

I couldn't see much, but it was clear from the splashing that my good friend was catching.
I caught a glimpse of what he was doing, and saw that it was a method and a bait which he had kindly introduced me to.
So I copied him, and soon I was also catching well.

The whistle came too soon, as it always does when you are having fun, and we started packing up as the weighers-in did their stuff along the far bank, accompanied by the club chairman.
They came to my good friend, and it took two weighs to establish that he had caught 93lb and 1oz, twice the weight of any other competitor so far!
My catch also required two weighs, and my total was found to be 93lb and 2oz. The calculations were checked and declared sound. I was happy.

As the weighers-in moved on, my friend returned to his peg. To see a roach of about 4oz stuck in the bottom of his keepnet.
Clutching the roach, he chased after the departing adjudicators, shouting that he had another fish to weigh in.
The club chairman's reply was exactly two words long. :censored::oops:

90sGear

Site Supporter
Lost two club match wins last year which cost me the league due to being over weight limits. One over by 2oz and a second in which I was well over as I forgot which net was which, both my fault, lessons learned F1s weigh more than they look!

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Lost two club match wins last year which cost me the league due to being over weight limits. One over by 2oz and a second in which I was well over as I forgot which net was which, both my fault, lessons learned F1s weigh more than they look!
90sGear you need some of NON pegs,won't go over then ?
Tuff call that 2oz .

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
90sGear you need some of NON pegs,won't go over then ?
Tuff call that 2oz .
Ha! One match at Tunnel,last year I should of weighed 285lb, but I got a net disqualified and lost 85lb, I still won that match as next weight was 199lb....so next match thought I won’t make that mistake again 😩🤷‍♂️So next match should of won with 245lb, but lost a whole net which went 77lb, ended up coming 6th 😂😂😂

90sGear

Site Supporter
Ha! One match at Tunnel,last year I should of weighed 285lb, but I got a net disqualified and lost 85lb, I still won that match as next weight was 199lb....so next match thought I won’t make that mistake again 😩🤷‍♂️So next match should of won with 245lb, but lost a whole net which went 77lb, ended up coming 6th 😂😂😂
Ah mate gutting but let’s be honest in our heads we know who won :)

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I have a good friend from Nottinghamshire, who is normally a Catcher of Barbel. ;)

He enjoys the rough & tumble of my little club matches in East Yorkshire, and often drives up the M1 to join us.
And all too often, drives back down the M1 a richer man.
One wild and windy day, he and I drew side by side in adjacent pegs which were pleasantly sheltered by trees.
The rest of the field were on the windward side, and most were just hunkered down under umbrellas, fishing the tip.
My good friend likes to taunt the club chairman , who takes his fishing very seriously, and who was really struggling on that day:
"I thought a good angler could win from any peg?" he called. No reply.

I couldn't see much, but it was clear from the splashing that my good friend was catching.
I caught a glimpse of what he was doing, and saw that it was a method and a bait which he had kindly introduced me to.
So I copied him, and soon I was also catching well.

The whistle came too soon, as it always does when you are having fun, and we started packing up as the weighers-in did their stuff along the far bank, accompanied by the club chairman.
They came to my good friend, and it took two weighs to establish that he had caught 93lb and 1oz, twice the weight of any other competitor so far!
My catch also required two weighs, and my total was found to be 93lb and 2oz. The calculations were checked and declared sound. I was happy.

As the weighers-in moved on, my friend returned to his peg. To see a roach of about 4oz stuck in the bottom of his keepnet.
Clutching the roach, he chased after the departing adjudicators, shouting that he had another fish to weigh in.
The club chairman's reply was exactly two words long. :censored::oops:
My response was only generated by his remark, along the lines "look at that lucky buggers - best pegs on the lake" - to which I responded "thought a good angler could win from any peg" - Far too often heard his remarks like "The winner should have had twice of much from that peg - best peg on the lake"; or "If had had that peg - I would have had over 100lbs - had 120lbs the week before".

It a shame really - no doubt he is a moderate angler :eek:

dave brittain 1

Cabin fever so here's one for Chefster :ROFLMAO:

In the 2008 Wye Champs held on Oct 26th, the river was 3ft up at the start and forecast to rise later in the match. I drew a peg near the dairy, I had no idea what my peg was like as I'd only drawn this section once previously in the Wye Team Champs one February just after the river had thawed after being frozen. On that occasion I'd had 28lbs of chub from a swim on the poplars that I would have loved to draw again but chances of that were slim ;)

Walking down I saw the poplars and having noted the pegs I thought I bet I'm on the peg below where I was, stuck between a decent chub peg above and a barbel flier below on the cattle drink. Getting closer I soon realised that the pegging wasn't the same due to the extra water and the peg I'd drawn was just below where I had been pegged last time I drew there :D

Setting up 2 feeder rods with 6 pints of maggots and some 3mm hallibut pellets I was ready in no time. The plan was to fish the edge of the crease where the gulley was, two thirds across. Set up was simple 8lb Technium, a large 3oz Kamasn Black Cap on a semi running rig to a 3ft, 0.19 power line hook length with a Fox Series 2 eyed 14 and 4 maggots on the hook. Traditionally this match always required a big weight however with the extra water and more water forecast to come, nobody knew what would happen, so my intention was to fish positively from the off hoping for a few chub and barbel.

1/2 dozen quick casts a yd or so upstream and across with a good bow and I had a nice drop back after 20 minutes which was a small chub around 1.5lbs. This set the theme as I'd have several casts followed by either a sharp dink or drop back with most fish being chub between 12 oz and 3lbs. 1/2 way through the river started rising and colouring up and bites started to tail off. I'd had over a dozen chub and given that the river was creeping up I was happy with how the match was going.

Although my catch rate slowed, I picked up odd barbel as well as the odd chub, adding more lead to hold and starting to feed pellets in the feeder to avoid all my feed being washed downstream. In the last hour I struggled and had to move my box as the river rose rapidly, (5ft). By the end of the match I had around 20 chub and barbel of various sizes with nothing bigger than 4lbs. I'd had a good match and had 2 fish come off the hook, with no fish lost in snags or breakages, so all in all I was happy with how I'd fished.

The scales came and if I remember rightly my fish went 47lbs 12 oz. It was easily enough to take the section and I quietly hoped it would be enough for a low frame weight. Getting back to the draw rumour had it that nobody had ran away with it and I may be in with a chance, however it wasn't to be as Cheltenham angler Kevin Bellamy had weighed 48lbs 8oz of chub and barbel to take the title, leaving me with the runners up trophy.

To be honest I was over the moon to come second as it was a big match with excellent pay outs but driving home I did wonder if there was anything I could have done as either of the chub that came off would have been enough to take the title but it wasn't to be :confused:

For some reason I thought it was Steve Sadler that won it that year however after a quick check, that was another year :)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
About twenty five years ago about this time of the year I fished a little local sea match at Hove. The moon was bright, the sea was flat calm, the frost was hard. I caught two Rocklings and a Dab. Come the end of the match I thought "that's that", and tipped them back in from the bucket that they were in.
Come the weigh in.........I was the only angler that had caught anything. I would have won the match, won the biggest roundfish and won the biggest flatfish. ALWAYS WEIGH IN!

baggy

Mark Saunders
One that comes to mind is a bad one, it was the intermediate national on the Bristol Avon in 1994. I drew at Jackie Whites, I’d not drawn there before but while I was setting up Topper Haskins came past and said there was the potential of a bream or two. I started the match well catching the odd roach and skimmer on the waggler, then the river started to rise with some flood water so I went on the feeder and started to catch eels and the odd chublet.

With an hour and bit left the tip whacked around with 3lb plus chub. I then lost another good fish, this is when noticed something wrong, I forgot to check my keepnet for holes before the start (epic fail on my part) and I saw a chublet trying to get out of the hole. The hole had a ring of slime around it with most of the eels escaping. I quickly tied up the hole and the tip went round again this time with a 4lb+ bream. I was devastated, I don’t how many fish I lost due to my bad mistake. I weighed 9lb 12oz which did win the section which is an amazing achievement and I also finished in the frame in 9th but it was a case of what could been as the match was won with 15lb by a certain Steve Ringer (yes he was even good back then).

Whether I had lost the 6lb needed it’s hard to say but I was catching well, it’s safe to say I have never fished a match since without checking my net.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not a mishap, except in the dream the night before that you sometimes get when you are eager/anxious about a match.
Pride myself to be fair on myself for once, in doing everything to finish as high as possible, not about the money at my level, hence is about 4th being being better than 12th, especially if part of a league system, but also if not.

Mostly found that after the first 1.5hrs you get a feel for how it's going to pan out and what may be needed or maintained, so is a case for of the old rule on keeping putting something in the net and maximise the size of fish. So, dependent on your levels of drive, you try and input on the end result and keep at it until you find the best percentage on a given line.

The plan does and has come unstuck sometimes when a bait i wasn't expecting to catch on runs low, own fault, unless a bait limit match and even then although i don't fish bait limit matches, it is something you hear some of the top anglers talk about getting wrong/having got wrong in things like the parkdean events for example. If it went wrong for them, then it's good enough assurance for me.

What really saying, never blown it through a mishap, more through a bad decision or one influenced by a poor prep/bait types/amounts, but again to a degree, that's also something that massively impacts on outcome, prep.