The Match you should have won

Line Clip

Ever had a match in the bag for it all to go wrong,
In a match on the Shropshire Union Canal on a stretch called Goldstone,
My peg was opposite a moored far bank barge, a noted bream hot spot, with half hour left in the match
news was coming along the towpath that my net of skimmers, and bream, were well in front, and I was still catching well,
Just then a barge came through, at a stupid pace. very close to the near bank, the action of the barge made a surge of water
that forced my keep-net to pull the top bank stick out of the grass bank,
Having the net tethered both ends, meant the net just emptied its contents back into the canal, Making a lunge for the net,
I was left with two skimmers and a tiny roach, and a face of anger and disappointment,
It was my own fault, for not putting the bank stick in the ground enough ( before the days of attachments )
The banter and laughter traveling down the tow path, was a killer, so with twenty minuets to go I tipped the three remaining
fish back, and packed up.
The angler on the noted end peg won the match with just under 9lbs and I had just put back at least 11-12lbs
Never forgot that day, and even to this day it crops up in match conversations,

Have you had any mishaps ?

Triune

On the bann bonanza week long festival in Ireland on day 4 i was catching skimmers every cast for 3 hours ,then a cormorant decided to dive in my swim. For the next 2 hours i couldn't get a bite,lost the festival by 1lb. Carried a black widow catapult and a few ball bearings for years after.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Told this story before but it always sticks in my mind.
Teams of four winter league on the river Cam. River was clear and cold. I drew upstream end peg, closest to the A14 bridge. Not on any of the noted Bream pegs but the closest peg in the match to them. Also the furthest away from any Silvers that were likely to show.
I knew it was going to be rock hard and my section was going to be won with odd Perch. So I chose a chopped worm approach on three lines. Against the tins under my feet, four metres at the bottom of the inside ledge and a 13mtr long line.
After 4 and a half hours of nothing, not even a sniff, the long line just looked suspect. There was the odd bubble coming up and I thought “ You know? I think there might be one or two fish out there“. Went out and almost straight away the float buried and I was into a Bream. It stayed on for 20-30 seconds before coming off. There goes the section I thought, and I won’t get another bite out there now. Went back out there though as I thought it was my best chance. Five minutes to go and the float buries again. Bream number two on. After a similar amount of time this one came off aswell. Not only had I connected with two fish that would have won my section, had I landed both it would have been a match win. I told the lad next to me, who had witnessed both fish, that it was Pike😂😂 just to save face. Elastic was fine, not too tight,hook came back both times without the worm masking the point. They certainly felt hooked in the mouth.
Had enough fish on the hook to walk the match but registered a DNW and Zero points. Gutted was putting it mildly😂

Last edited:

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Not really a mishap, And all fair wins from the other party but I've had a few matches on my local clublake which is silver orientated and I've worked my ass off for a 10lb net of silvers to win the match for someone to hook into one of the very, very few carp in the lake in the last 10-15 or so minutes which are basically insta-wins providing you have a lb or two in the net already. It wouldn't be so bad if they came out early but when it's at the whistle approaches it's a kick in the balls. Especially if it's been fishing hard and you've prevailed. This has happened to me twice now, But then again I've also done it to some fella fishing across from me once also. Very frustrating, But fair game.

I remember fishing a match as a kid though and I caught a nice Koi. As the weigh in approached I grabbed the Koi out of the keepnet to show off and dropped it in the water immediately with everybody standing around me. Very embarrassing as I flail around the edge of the bank trying to recatch it as it swam off. In the end because the runners felt bad, And it was only a kids match I got a 1lb out of it for my embarrassment. Def would've won me the match with that one though. :ROFLMAO:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Told this story before but it always sticks in my mind.
Teams of four winter league on the river Cam. River was clear and cold. I drew upstream end peg, closest to the A14 bridge. Not on any of the noted Bream pegs but the closest peg in the match to them. Also the furthest away from any Silvers that were likely to show.
I knew it was going to be rock hard and my section was going to be won with odd Perch. So I chose a chopped worm approach on three lines. Against the tins under my feet, four metres at the bottom of the inside ledge and a 13mtr long line.
After 4 and a half hours of nothing, not even a sniff, the long line just looked suspect. There was the odd bubble coming up and I thought “ You know? I think there might be one or two fish out there“. Went out and almost straight away the float buried and I was into a Bream. It stayed on for 20-30 seconds before coming off. There goes the section I thought, and I won’t get another bite out there now. Went back out there though as I thought it was my best chance. Five minutes to go and the float buries again. Bream number two on. After a similar amount of time this one came off aswell. Not only had I connected with two fish that would have won my section, had I landed both it would have been a match win. I told the lad next to me, who had witnessed both fish, that it was Pike😂😂 just to save face. Elastic was fine, not too tight,hook came back both times without the worm masking the point. They certainly felt hooked in the mouth.
Had enough fish on the hook to walk the match but registered a DNW and Zero points. Gutted was putting it mildly😂
c. 4 pegs above baitsbite lock then?

I lost a pole section in that peg in 1992 .... perhaps you hooked it ... twice :)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I could write a book - although perhaps more on messing up pegs, rather than snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

3 that spring to mind:

Wye festival in the late noughties. River high but falling rapidly .... for the first two hours I was catching big roach regularly on whip to hand. Then the river dropped so far that the flow completely changed and I couldn't reconnect with the shoal. I hardly caught another fish and ended with just over 40 pounds. The match was won with 80 pounds of roach.

back at the very start of me fishing matches ... in the early 80s the Great Ouse above bedford was basically chub or bust. Mostly caught on the drop on the waggler.
episode 1 - I drew a really shallow peg on an evening match at Harrold. It was one of the first times that I had used casters .... the fish obviously loved them .... I could tell as they were splashing about mopping up all the bait from the surface. Doh! my casters were all floaters! I'd know how to catch them now ... but I still had L plates back then!

episode 2 - shortly after episode 1 I turned out for an open at a venue called Radwell. By now I had sinking casters! I had drawn a really nice peg (I fished that venue for years and never drew it again!). I even fished and fed quite well up to the point of hooking the fish. I contrived to find pretty much every way of losing chub that day. Ended up with 4 for just under 10 pounds (iirc) and last place in the frame. If I'd landed half of the fish I lost I would have won.
luckily I improved after that!

smiffy

Site Supporter
c. 4 pegs above baitsbite lock then?

I lost a pole section in that peg in 1992 .... perhaps you hooked it ... twice :)
Lot further up than that. I’d have fancied a day on the punch that close to the lock👍

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
interclub match many moons ago, it was really tough lake match but i had 6 very big rudd up in the water on wag and worm and would easily win, stupidly the weighing net was right next to the water as i went to weigh in, as i tipped my catch into the net 3 of the rudd hit the side of the net (as it half collapsed or moved too many years ago now to remember exactly), bounced off and plopped back into the lake! i came second by a few ounces and these rudd were all over a 1lb each, lesson learned!

Never weigh in next to the water lol

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
oh and another time, i dont think i was winning but was the river Cam from memory and had a lovely day catching roach, had pike nick fish loads of times though and at the end of the match i pulled my net in and had like 10 roach in it (should have been a lot more than that lol) and two bloody great holes in the net from what i assume was a pike ripping it open, that was a tad embarrassing and a team match as well so not good!

Last edited:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Lot further up than that. I’d have fancied a day on the punch that close to the lock👍
my memory's failing me .... it was nearly 30 years ago - I though there were only about 4 pegs between the lock and the bypass bridge. Anyway - when I lost the pole section I was directly downstream of the bypass bridge.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Not really a mishap, And all fair wins from the other party but I've had a few matches on my local clublake which is silver orientated and I've worked my ass off for a 10lb net of silvers to win the match for someone to hook into one of the very, very few carp in the lake in the last 10-15 or so minutes which are basically insta-wins providing you have a lb or two in the net already. It wouldn't be so bad if they came out early but when it's at the whistle approaches it's a kick in the balls. Especially if it's been fishing hard and you've prevailed. This has happened to me twice now,
You didn’t use to fish against @Peter did you. Favourite trick of his. ☹️☹️

The Runner

Site Supporter
Long time ago now but it still sticks in the mind.
1984, had just started fishing again after a 5 or 6 year break for the usual reasons. Had split with the said usual reason in the April, joined a club and got into their team for the Berkshire Division of the AT Winter League. Had a section win, a blank and then decent points with a couple of ounces from a flooded Thames as my first three matches, and then on to match 4 on the Oxford Canal at Wolvercote. Drew up from the Green and next to one of those bridges that you lift up to allow a boat to pass; me and the angler the other side of the bridge arranged with the agreement of the rest of the section that either of us would operate the bridge (depending from which side the boat was coming) to avoid the boat having to stop .
Was straight into gudgeon and the odd little perch at about 2m, first boat came through from my side, left peg, up with the bridge, no problem and back to catching steadily. About halfway through match, boat from other side , he lifted it, boat came through with a "Thanks mate, but we already dropped someone off at the lock", and slowed down close in in front of me to let the woman get back on. And she decided that she couldn't jump so the bloke revved up and reversed closer. And ran aground on the inside shelf . Took a good half hour and a massive churn up for them to get clear and another hour before I had another bite anywhere, Caught well again for the last 45 minutes and ended up with 4-14-8 for fifth and a section win. And the match was won with 5- 9.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Very nearly but just avoided it. We had a club match on the Montgomery Canal at Abermule. I'd been catching good roach all day but didn't have a clue how well I was doing because it was a rover match & people were spread around different sections & across the road. Bloke next to me asked me if he could have one of my roach because there was a massive pike in his swim. I relented & gave him one and he proceeded to try and catch it with the livebait. He failed but then got back to normal fishing....caught a roach & gave it to me in return for the one I'd given him (a smaller one though! ). Come the weigh in, I won the match by around a pound. Luckily the weight of that roach I gave him didn't matter.

smiffy

Site Supporter
my memory's failing me .... it was nearly 30 years ago - I though there were only about 4 pegs between the lock and the bypass bridge. Anyway - when I lost the pole section I was directly downstream of the bypass bridge.
Yeah. Probably 30ish pegs between the lock and the bridge. Tough in the wrong conditions but great if the Bream decided to have a go. Never drew them myself,the bridge that is. Just those couple of nomads that day.

Last edited:

mbuna_matt

A few I should have done better but the one that hurt most....

I lost 2 carp each into doubles, the first I netted, and lifted out by (stupidly) the handle rather than the frame, snap - 3" of handle and net back in lake. Got net back but not unsurprising no fish. later on (having borrowed a another handle) another good carp, on the bank and ready for the keep net, which for some inexplicable reason I missed with said fish. I suspect I would have been a little higher up at the weigh in I I hadn't been a plonker. Still the odd banter about not missing the keep net and the odd club match.....

Tantric Socks

Site Supporter
1977. Roath Park lake and the Queens silver jubilee.

15 years old and fishing nuts. Me and a mate had been going to a youth club in what used to be, Tiger Bay, ran by an ex Welsh international, John Phillips.

Big day arrives, been give all the info and I’m struggling after an hour of a 3 hour match. I hear a voice over my shoulder, “ you need to dot your float down” turn around and it’s “Clive Branson” tells me to reel in and he sorts my shotting out for me.

Next two hours I put a few roach in the net, weigh in comes and I proudly pull my net in, sod all in it, huge gaping hole in it. Still won a bank stick!

matt

Site Supporter
I remember one match quite a few years ago, fishing the Teams of 12 Winter League at Makins. Drew in the corner of Lake 4 which was the pleasure fishing lake at the time. The wind was hacking down into the corner and it was tipping it down with rain.

Started catching 8-12lb Ghosties at 6m on paste and must have have had in the region of 150lb in the first hour and a half and the peg was only getting stronger.... thoughts of winning the match together with breaking the venue record were racing through my head together with the worry of having to get off my box to try and find some extra keepnets!

With all of this going on, I didn’t really notice how heavy the rain had become until I was aware of quite a bit of shouting coming from the distance with cries of match aborted!

The rain had got so heavy that Phase 2 had flooded and phase 3 was close to flooding so the match was cancelled after about 2 hours..... gutted!

Funnily enough though on the very next leg of the league, my travelling partner who was a much better angler than me drew in the same area on Lake 4 and won the match with lumps on paste at 6m! 😀

bluemack

Site Supporter
Fished an inter club match about 15 years ago on the warks avon at twyford farm ,i only had 2 bites in the 5 hours
fished small cubes of meat and fed about 4 tins of meat cut up into tiny cubes,had a chub after a couple of hours
which it turned out to weigh 1lb 10oz,then near the end i had another chub which was around 2 to 3lb,BUT in my wisdom
after unhooking i decided to have a look down his throat to see if he,d been picking up the loose feed and that was it, he
flipped out of my hand and back into the drink. I would have weighed about 4lb odd and won the match,2lb 6oz won the
match and i did,nt even make 2nd place................. finished 3rd. That episode has haunted me for years.:(:(

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Wracked my brains and can't think of any 🙃

When I've won, I've fished the perfect match 😉

When I've been second it's because I deserved to be second 😁

And when I haven't won or come second it's because I've drawn rubbish 🤣