The Man, the Beast and a Pus sy :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well here is the long awaited saga of last Saturday night at Elvington: The Man, the Beast and a Pus sy icon_smile_big.gif

Imagine the scene, 12.00 o'clock midnight and not a breath of wind, the sun had long gone down as had Ian in the tent nearby (private joke icon_smile_big.gif lol), the sky was clear and everyone was settling in for a night fishing session at Elvington Lake - the first the lake had seen for 16 years.

I settled down onto my bed chair and watched my rods in anticipation of a bite. Both rods were out, 2.5lb test curves with legered boilie on one at 30yds, the other had a lump of luncheon meat on placed a rod length out over a bed of carp pellets and hempseed.
Because I was fishing so close in I had a back lead on it to keep the line on the bottom to eliminate line bites.

All of a sudden the buzzer let of an almighty scream, the hanger was thrown from the line and the baitrunner spool was screaming in a fashion that I had never experienced before.
I lept from my chair, grabbed the rod from the rests and watched as line was stripped from the reel - do you put water on it to keep it cool or what?
It had to be a Cat, there was nothing else for it. My thoughts immediately raced ahead, when to strike? what next? what do I do? and then I remembered, I was once told that when a Catfish runs, let it and when it finishes lift the rod into the fish. To strike whilst running would inevitably result in a break, strike too hard when stopped and you could pull out of the soft mouth.

80yards of line had gone out, the fish stopped, I lifted the rod and whoa - it felt like I had hooked into a barrel, all I could feel was a solid lump on the other end that was 'pulsing'. What next I thought?

Stu, Paul and Trogg were there by my side, the run had stirred the whole lake and the air was filled with anticipation.
All of a sudden the line went slack, I wound in a little, it went slack again and the next minute the fish was charging back to me faster than I could wind in. It stopped 30yds out and sat pulsing once more.

Not for long though as another screaming run to the right of the lake followed, another 80-100yds of line out and once again it stopped.
Tired? me or the Cat?

Nope not the cat as it soon ran back across my path and off to the opposite corner - I had never experienced anything like this in my whole angling career, geesh. Who was in control me or it?

After a bit of pulling, winding, a litte more pulling the cat then launched what was to be it's last run from the left across me and seeking refuge in an overhanging tree to my right.
A bit of a tangle had formed as it had crossed three other lines, these were soon removed but what about it?
The line was solid, I had snagged in the submerged branches oof the tree but was the cat still on? Despite slackening my line, pulling from different directions, slackening once more I couldn't release my line.

Trogg and Stu were trying to see under the tree with torches, trying to spot the fish in the water but there was too much overhanging - someone had to go out and see, someone had to climb the tree and free my line but who?
After a little bit of cajooling and offers of adoption, having his babies, being his bestest friend ever enter Alan (aka Trogg) he rose to the calls of his glorious Red Leader and the maggotdrowning crowd that were hanging in suspense, awaiting his decision to risk life and limb and a soaking, to offer his services to Queen, Country and us all icon_smile_big.gif

He scrambled through the bushes and walked the walk along an overhanging branch, holding on for dear life, inching his way across to the cat which by now had been spotted, his 18 stone bending the branch into the water, "Don't worry Alan" we all shouted, "Just rescue the Cat", keep going out.
You could imagine the reponses that we were getting back, lol. But this was serious, we had a Cat and it was caught up in the submerged branches of the tree; not one for the Fire Brigade this one!

It was impossible, the branch was sinking further and further under his weight - the calls went out for Malc but he was out of earshot, some 150 miles away icon_smile_wink.gif

Trogg had to gingerley make his way back, soaked to the knees, back onto terra-firma, guess what? We'd spotted a boat, an old rowing boat further up the bank icon_smile_big.gif
"No absolutely no fu**ing way mate, no way, fu** off, I'm not getting into that, get fu**cked" - I think Trogg was trying to tell us something as the ricketty old boat was launched - "But Alan - we need you, your MD's, the Cat, we need you!" "Get in the boat you big sissy" Stu shouted, "Not fu**ing likely mate, you do it," was the reply, lol,

Anyway time was moving on, it was now 45minutes since the first run, the cat had been under the tree for 10 and it had to be freed, no doubt if I had snapped off it would have eventually freed itself but that wasn't a chance we were prepared to make.
Despite his protest and following our promises of eternal love and me agreeing to adopt him should he survive (son,,,icon_smile_shock.gif aargh!!) he cl;imed aboard and pulled his way around the tree. There were no oars and worse was to come - it leaked! It was filling up!

Quickly he managed to get to the fish which by now had been estimated at 35-40lbs and attempted to untangle my line from the snag. At this point the cat bolted and pulled from the hook disapearing into the depths, once more to fight another day - 'Better to have hooked and lost than never hooked at all' - who said that?

Alan was back on land, soaked and cursing us but also sharing the excitement of the night - Alan I thank you and the papers should come through shortly icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

'The Man, the Beast and a Pus sy' - I'll leave you all to decide who was who but in the meantime here is ~~

pugwash1.jpg Captain Pugwash me hearties lol icon_smile_big.gif

What a night and more to follow....

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 31 July 2002 10:05:19 PM

n/a4

deleted
Hey Trogg m8!!

where are your BUCANEERS?

Arh!! that'l replace the whale in my nightmare!
By the way is there the remotest chance we may see this on you've been framed or somthin similar?icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

all the best

steve

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Brilliant Dave!
And I missed all THAT!

Chit!

Next time baby lol

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
I like the write up Dave, but I still think you have the wrong member of the crew, from where I was sat he looked more like Master Bates LOL the way he delibratly bumped the cat off so that he still had a chance of landing the first cat from the water (only jokeing but dont tell Trogg)

Dai Fish

MALC

Dave,

Sounds like a night to remember and i missed it.

But i'll make sure i'm there for any in the future.

Can understand why shouts would have been made for my slender 8 stone

But i think the Cat would have been bigger than me
IS THIS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE AS IT SWAM AWAY
R.O.F.L.M.A.O

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Captain Pugwash me hearties lol

Are you sure that it's not Seaman Stains????????

Alan,are you on your knees in that boat???????
Or did your legs go through the bottom???????

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
No Peter that was definitely not the stains I saw on his trousers when he got out of the colander, sorry I meant boat lol.

Dai Fish

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Wonderful telling of an excellent tale.

And now you folks know why I love catfishing so much. They are a fish with ATTITUDE.

And one of the reasons I am reluctant to take my nice, new (to me) pole out of my yard. We got kitties everywhere I fish. I really gotta find a lake without any bigguns or just sure as I sit here typing some 30lb cat will decide it absolutely has to bite whatever is at the end of the pole. icon_smile_big.gif

Trogg - you wuss - why didn't you just swim out and take care of it instead of using a boat? Even a big cat would have problems taking more than maybe one arm to the elbow or something.

Newt Vail

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Cat in a tree?, Call the Fire Brigade?, there was an ex member (28.5yrs) sitting down the end of the lake. No alarm bells sounding no call to duty SO he stayed there all on his own in the dark.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now Dad tell the truth, who spotted the boat?? (& who was cursing more, me or Bulldog cos he had to shift his stuff off it icon_smile.gif)

Oars would have been a waste of time as they may have tangled in the line.

Newt

I don't care mate cos i got to stroke a wet pus'sy icon_smile_wink.gif my soaking sleeve on the NBC jacket proved that (& yes i do know how that reads) icon_smile_wink.gif

As i told you dad i was only doing it for the fish (& so i could copy a well known carper who grabbed someone elses cat n claimed a record).

Pilgrim

quote:
where are your BUCANEERS

under me buccan cap

John

So it was you making the funny noises then?? when i heard you say you were coming i thought you meant to help me icon_smile_big.gif

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Edited by - Trogg on 01 August 2002 01:37:12 AM

david platt

Fusilier
Hi Lads
All this going on and me asleep in my CARAVAN, you should have gicen me a call I would have tiptoed along the branch and got the cat off
for you, NO PROBLEM, It was great to meet you all and put some faces
to names off the net.
Just one more thing thow " WHOS GOT MY BLOODY WHEEL TRIMS"
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif
david

lanc

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave

Tiptoe!!!!!!!!!! yeah like a sugar plum elephant icon_smile_big.gif

Oh & as for your wheeltrims mate, Ray had already gone home, Paul Mc was quite happily fishing but there was one dodgy looking geezer stalking round the lake in some wierd looking shorts n a hat so i reckon its gotta be the other Mc lad cos we all took our stereos out & he had to nick summat or he'd have to hang his head in shame when he got home icon_smile_wink.gif

Alan

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
Great story Dave, this Catfish lark sounds too energetic for me I think I'll stick to the Dogfish.
It must have been bedlam for a time and I thought fishing was supposed to be a relaxing hobby and not blokes running around like a bunch of demented morris-dancers!
But enjoyment is the name of the game, and this looks like one of those times.
Don't forget Roger the Cabin Boy LOL!
Mick

Go Maggotdrowning in 1066 Country

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mick

I know now why the moggie scarpered it was the bells on my bloody legs icon_smile_big.gif

(Oh & just for the record i never touched the cabin boy)

Alan

phil

So what's wrong with the cabin boy....I always liked Roger.
icon_smile_wink.gif

I tell you, it was bloody hard to get any sleep that night, but it was well worth it to have a laugh at you lot from the other bank.

What time was it when you had the twenty dave???

paul mc

Nice write up Dave
All i can say is that you must have been desperate to offer to be-freind and adopt trogg.

icon_smile.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile.gificon_smile_big.gif

Regards Paul Mc

Edited by - paul mc on 01 August 2002 11:33:17 PMicon_smile_big.gificon_smile.gif

Edited by - paul mc on 01 August 2002 11:34:43 PM

se mc

dave

sounds like you lot had a bit of a laugh over there,it looked funny from were i was anyway.as for the wheeltrims trogg not me mate i was sharing a stelle with those charming cows which took a fancy to me.the light show u guys put on was most entertaining

se mc

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh christ he's been n nicked a puter now icon_smile.gif

I thought i heard some heavy breathing coming from your direction Se, you do know what you were doing is illegal don't you?? (imagine if the farmer had caught you with his cows!!

Paul

The next time you get an Eel you can handle it all yourself mate it took Dian ages to get that Eel snot of my clothes icon_smile_tongue.gif

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice Eel by the way Paul,

For those that weren't there, Paul caught and landed a 4lb 4oz Eel and we all threw a deafy so that trogg had to attend it lol

Welcome aboard SE,

Regards, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.