the magic of the 16th river piking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockster

jamie
took the new boat (sea nymph) out for its first fishing session
decided to walk the 4-5 miles to get to the marina,i could have had a lift later in the morning,but wanted to get on out.
The river was looking alright,not a lot of flow,with a bit of colour.

i passed quite a few anglers on the banks on my way to the marina, and enroute to the first of many weirpools on the river that i intended to fish that day.

Put on a lure that was retrieved from a tree earlier in the year, similar size to a shakespear big s (shakespear thunder crank? something like that anyway).second cast and hooked into a pike didn't feel very heavy,and came towards me against the current quite easily,which was when i got my first glimpse.

It looked, by the brief look i got to be bigger than i thought,and guessed 12lbs(then started thinking,maybe 14 if im lucky!).

it might have came in easily enough,but when she saw the side of the boat,she made a couple of runs,which left me wobbling like a jelly,i know these weir pool pike fight, but flippin eck this thing was giving me a right run around!!!).

Managed to get the net under her,dropped the rod grabbed the landing net which promptly snapped leaving me clutching the wrong half! with the reactions of a fighter pilot i grabbed the net and drew it to the side of the boat and had a peak in.....looking bigger all the time now,16lb maybe?(not that i'm any good at guessing weights,just like to give it a go).

got myself together while the pike recovered in the net at the side of the boat,only to be reduced to a wreck when i lifted the net fully into the boat......it looked huge......i nearly wet myself...sorry but it was close!

the lure had fallen out!!! and so i quickly put it into the sling and weighed her.

The avons said 11lb8oz???
That cant be right ,that looks much bigger than that.........Its on the green dial numb nuts!!! crikey or something similar,i think i shouted!!!!

21lb 8oz

Datafile11.jpg

Chuffed aint the word,couldnt carry on fishing i just couldnt concentrate,so i've been doing the wifes head right in going on and on about it!!!

rsbrett

Resident Expert.
Well done Jamie, cracking fish! To catch a fish like that on the first day of the season is unbelievable!

If I caught a fish like that I don't think I could stop telling the misses about it either [:D]

I must admit I am so f***in jealous a tad jealous as my Pb is only 15 lb and I cant seem to beat it no matter what I try [:(!]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hell of a way to kick off the river season Jamie.
Well Done. thumbsup.gif

mecca

Another smoggy
They say dog owners look like their dogs well pike owners.......[:D]

Nice one kidda im a jealous man[:p]

csmith

Hi Jamie,i was expecting a report from the first session of the season,thats a pretty impressive start though!.how do you feel about the rest of the season after catching the monster so early?
Me + my boy had a wander along the Avon at Saltford and had a little spin on Sat evening "til late,no activity but a nice way to spend a Sat evening.
Probably see you out there soon.

rockster

jamie
Originally posted by csmith

Hi Jamie,i was expecting a report from the first session of the season,thats a pretty impressive start though!.how do you feel about the rest of the season after catching the monster so early?
Me + my boy had a wander along the Avon at Saltford and had a little spin on Sat evening "til late,no activity but a nice way to spend a Sat evening.
Probably see you out there soon.

Cheers Colin.......[:)].

That was the first thing that entered my head (when i eventually got it together!!!)
Still a lot of rod hours left until march though and lots of stretches of water to explore,much of which doesn't get fished due to poor access from the banks [;)]

Went out sunday for a few hours and managed a couple around 7lb,and hooked my mate up with his first pike.....second time he's been out and i told him to cast to a pike that was topping it took it first cast .....9lb on the nose.He was well chuffed!

Status
Not open for further replies.