The magic mix

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
I don't know how many make their own boilies and groundbait, but it's as exciting to me as catching the fish themselves, will my own concoction result in a monster fish at the end of it? :eek:

I've ordered some ingredients to make my own river groundbait, i'll also make some boilies eventually but i'll start with the groundbait.

Ordered a kilo of Atlantic Krill meal
Ordered a kilo of CPSP90 enzyme treated fishmeal (predigested, to make the aminos free'er or something, easier to digest for the fish?)
2 Belachan blocks
250g of Anhydrous Betaine
2.5kg of Black crumb to bulk it all out and make it go further :D
2.5kg of Molasses meal, because it's cheap and just intrigued me :unsure:

I'm still awaiting my magic ingredient, the 200g of Astaxanthin powder i've ordered from AliExpress.
And i've already got a massive bag of crushed hemp.

We'll see how i get on with that little lot :D

I'm looking forward to making my own boilies in a couple of paydays once i get all the kit together, see what wonderful concoctions i can come up with.

Last edited:

squimp

Site Supporter
Be aware that some ingredients can be overloaded and then start being repellant to fish. It might not be a problem in groundbait, but certainly can be in boilies.

A mate and I got some boilies made with a secret ingredient a while back and couldn't catch anything on it. Eventually we twigged what was (or rather wasnt) happening and got ano batch rolled with 75% LESS of the magic ingredient.

We caught fish immediately on that version......I think my mate had a 36 and a 28 in two evening sessions. So we hadn't forgotten how to fish - we should just have tested the bait first on fish we could see to check their reaction to it !

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Be aware that some ingredients can be overloaded and then start being repellant to fish. It might not be a problem in groundbait, but certainly can be in boilies.

A mate and I got some boilies made with a secret ingredient a while back and couldn't catch anything on it. Eventually we twigged what was (or rather wasnt) happening and got ano batch rolled with 75% LESS of the magic ingredient.

We caught fish immediately on that version......I think my mate had a 36 and a 28 in two evening sessions. So we hadn't forgotten how to fish - we should just have tested the bait first on fish we could see to check their reaction to it !

Yeah i figure i'll go easy on potent things like the betaine and Astaxanthin, more like 10g sort of measures, and of course the Belachan being salty i won't need a lot of that.

But i guess i'll only learn by experimenting :)

I'll be taking the resulting mixture with me to the MD Trent match at Sheldons next Saturday to see how it get's on :D

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm looking forward to making my own boilies in a couple of paydays once i get all the kit together, see what wonderful concoctions i can come up with.
Here's a few to start you off. And what I make and use from time to time...

And a few more on this one...

Designing your own base mix...

Hope these help you on your quest. :upthumb: And it just goes to show that you don't need all that fancy stuff. :D

Rob F

Site Supporter
Always enjoyed experimenting with home made ground bait and paste.
A brown loaf from a well known Teutonic owned super market is pennies! Dry it, crush it down to the required consistency and there's your crumb base!
You can then blend in anything you want, commercially bought from a supplier or raid the kitchen cupboards.
For paste base I use the just roll pastry and fold in for example cheese, marmite or whatever takes your fancy.
But I'm still looking for the elusive, magic, dead cert to catch formula!!!

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Always enjoyed experimenting with home made ground bait and paste.
A brown loaf from a well known Teutonic owned super market is pennies! Dry it, crush it down to the required consistency and there's your crumb base!
You can then blend in anything you want, commercially bought from a supplier or raid the kitchen cupboards.
For paste base I use the just roll pastry and fold in for example cheese, marmite or whatever takes your fancy.
But I'm still looking for the elusive, magic, dead cert to catch formula!!!

Try some Astaxanthin, it's really expensive but people say it was the secret ingredient in the original ellipse pellets, probably why its not included any more is the price. Cost me £40 for 200g 😮

I'll most probably not waste it in groundbait and roll it into some boilies instead or make a hookbait glug 😃

Mark Tierney

Site Supporter
As far as I'm aware Astaxanthin is used in pellet manufacturing to help trout and salmon farmers colour the fishes flesh. That is the only reason it is used. Could be wrong but it will not give any advantage in your groundbait just maybe give coarse fish pink flesh like trout

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Ordered a few bits for boilie making.

Ordered the Gardner deluxe sausage gun, and one of the cheap Gardner 18mm mini tables.

Just need to get some semolina and soy flour and i can get a rollin'

First experiment i'll try and get a hold of some powdered blackberry, the theory is that there will be lots of blackberries falling into rivers this time of the year so may be a good flavour to use. Rest of the boilie will likely be Krill.

squimp

Site Supporter
If you squeeze out the sausages and then boil them, you can cut them up afterwards. Saves loads of time and aggravation.

Also be careful with the krill meal - it is very buoyant so too much will make a whole mix of pop ups !

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
If you squeeze out the sausages and then boil them, you can cut them up afterwards. Saves loads of time and aggravation.

Also be careful with the krill meal - it is very buoyant so too much will make a whole mix of pop ups !

I was actually thinking this, would make them pellet shaped rather than boilie shaped 🙂

I may do some of each so I have a change of presentation.

I was thinking if they end up buoyant could squeeze a shot on the hair to sink them 🤔

squimp

Site Supporter
I was actually thinking this, would make them pellet shaped rather than boilie shaped 🙂

I may do some of each so I have a change of presentation.

I was thinking if they end up buoyant could squeeze a shot on the hair to sink them 🤔
If they ALL float it is a bit of a problem. I did it once with too much shrimp meal.

Re the sausages - If you boil them whole, you can cut them to different sizes (which confuses the fish) AND two sides of each slice don’t have ‘cooked’ edges -so they release flavour more easily. And its so quick and easy.

Only downside is that they don’t all catapult the same distance - so fish in the edge or use a PVA bag.

If you get really clever you can make thin sausages for hookbaits and cut them into (thin) cylinders which fool even very cute fish If you hook them longitudinally.

Next stage is to cook the boilie mix as a block (wrapped in 2 layers of cling film), Adjust cooking time to suit and then cut into small blocks. Fish 2 or 3 on the hair. A devastating tactic especially fished over a bed of bigger baits.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
I bought some bechelan paste from a Chinese supermarket years ago. If anyone else lives with you, do not open it indoors.

I opened a block in the garage the t'other day out of intrigue, the smell was unholy.

Can only be described as a smell of decaying fish meets tramps arsehole.

The things we do to catch fish eh? :LOL:

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
I not be wasting me home made boilies on Carp 😛

They be going in the river chasing Barbel and Chub 😀

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Got all my bits and bobs together, be making my first batch of boilies Saturday, hopefully take some of them fishing the same day, dry the rest before freezing.

First batch i think i'll try:

500g base mix
100g powdered blackberry
100g krill meal
100g pre-digested fishmeal
75g of Belachan block (grated)
50g crushed hemp
50g Astaxanthin

Leaving 25g to possibly experiment with flavourings like garlic powder, black pepper and Turmeric, I'll also add a small amount of betaine to the eggs.

Hopefully will result in a bait that sinks rather than floats :D

Last edited:

squimp

Site Supporter
Good luck, I’d be concerned as to whether it will hold together/go thru’ a rolling table…….

And it might float, depending on what the base mix is.

squimp

Site Supporter
I think there is a load off bollcoks in talking about carp baits and ground baits with special
proteins and amino's, I really can't see a thick carp wanting one over the other because of this.
You are entitled to an opinion. Some of us and the carp might beg to differ……