The lift method

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
hi,
when using the lift method do you use a shot heavy enough to sink the float if set to shallow?, otherwise how do you accurately plumb up to set the shot on the bottom?
thanks

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The traditional way to fish the lift is to use 1 shot big enough to sink the float. I suggest a min. of an AA even better is a swan shot.
It is fished overdepth by anything up to the depth +50%. The shot being placed on the line anything from 1" 25mm to 3" (75mm). Cast in and tighten up making sure the line is sunk till the float cocks. The rod needs to be in 2 rodrests.
Bites can be either a sinking of the float or by the float lifting up and then laying flat. It may require some experementation as to when to strike when the float lifts.
One last word this set up casts terribly due to the weight being so far from the float.
Give it aag its a good method for tench and crucians. John

chill out go fishing

rob27

peg nine
thanks John but one question - why does the rod need to be in two rod rests?

rob27

peg nine
also can i use a small dibber float on a running line as that is the only float i have that can be sunk by a single shot? (I have two dibbers a 4x10 and a 4x12)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Hi Rob as you have tightened up to the float, this allows it to settle and show the required amount of tip. By placing it in the rests it then remains still if you try to hold it the float will move and give false bites.
As to floats traditionaly its a piece of peacock quill that is used trimmed to the shot used. I use a waggler for example a 2/3 bb float can be used with a swan shot.
I have never used a dibber as these are pole floats as long as the floats NOT a self cocker it should work note I said should. john

chill out go fishing

rob27

peg nine
Just like to thank you for your advice John as yesterday I went fishing the canal nr me and used the lift method as you described and caught my first 2 tench, one of around 2lb and also a rudd of over a pound - both my biggest coarse fish yet.
Thanks!

rob27

peg nine
ps
in case you are wondering the dibber didn't work(unless i fished it wrong)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.