The joy of light elastics

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some people say they only like to catch fish that pull back a bit. Having gone back on the canal the other day takes me back to my youth of fishing no2 elastics.

I was using a 3 elastic and a 6 elastic (only have two top kits fitted with light elastics for my current pole). Catch a little Roach on the 3 elastic and they pull back, pull out elastic as they should. A no6 is obviously too heavy for small Roach and will bump fish, so tomorrow I'm going to use that on my caster line.

I imagine if I catch a fish over 6oz it will be a really good fight. Some of the Perch are good scrappers but I don't expect any on Bread, in fact, the more I talk about my upcoming canal session the less I will be likely to catch.

Anyone else really like using light elastics and can describe the pleasure of it the same as me?

ravey

I’m not interested in carp, so all of my pole fishing is directed at roach mainly, with odd forays after tench or perch. I love catching on the river using hemp and rates, and will often use numbers 4 and 5 elastics for the job, depending on depth and flow. A thoroughly pleasant way to spend a day!

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I don't have a problem with using light elastics, it's horses for courses.

My match fishing year used to comprise of :
January to mid March - joker, punch and caster on canals using 2, 3 and 4 elastics
mid March to June 15th - commercial carping with appropriate elastics
June 16th to October - rivers, running line and pole, largely with 4 - 8 elastics
November to December - deep rivers, running line and pole with 6 - 8 elastics

I used to thoroughly enjoy the canals even if bites were hard to come by and the fish were often small.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I used to enjoy the canals too even when we used to fish them in winter and it took 3lb to win a Club Match. A couple of days ago reminded me how thoroughly pleasurable it can be. Average stamp of fish on my canal is 1 to 2oz Roach. Though knowing my luck I will hook a Chub on the bread. I landed my first canal Chub of 2.5lb on the 3 elastic a couple of years ago but it took me leaving my peg and running along the towpath following it to get it in, so would have not been allowed if it was a match.

ATTICUS FINCH

I remember fishing a match at hawkhurst fis farm and it's a carp venue that throws up weights well into treble figures. But on this particular match I decided that a no6 solid latex was going to the job for the day . Now this was before the advent of pullers and although I didn't win the match ( second to mugger Morton) I probably had a lot more fun than anyone else on the lake catching 2lb carp for over a hundred pounds. The elastic being solid latex stretched for miles and took far too long to land the fish but for a change it made great entertainment for those watching me play fish standing on my box to land them .

Rick123

Site Supporter
I’m not interested in carp, so all of my pole fishing is directed at roach mainly, with odd forays after tench or perch. I love catching on the river using hemp and rates, and will often use numbers 4 and 5 elastics for the job, depending on depth and flow. A thoroughly pleasant way to spend a day!
Ravey. I have a real problem hooking hemp. I've tried both ways but seem to damage the hemp every time?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
fish on your canal are tiny then

I rarely go below NG micro bore teal (rated 2-6) on my lightest kits

dosent bump even tiny eyes and arses and covers the stamp dog roach too

had a load a carp, tench, bream on it as well, very versatile

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
fish on your canal are tiny then

I rarely go below NG micro bore teal (rated 2-6) on my lightest kits

dosent bump even tiny eyes and arses and covers the stamp dog roach too

had a load a carp, tench, bream on it as well, very versatile
Not sure what make of elastics I have as I have the spool but it has no label on it. The '3' is yellow and the 6 is purple. They are small fish though, bumped a few of them on the 6 even though tried to set it loose just through the top section.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The three I use more often than any others are

NG micro bore teal, rated 2-6,

NG micro bore dark blue, rated 4-8 (my favourite laccy, briliant for silvers)

NG Amber core white, rated at 6-10, lovely stuff for tench carp, bream

all of them pull out nice with decent fish on yet give you full control, Ive had the dark blue stretch near right across lake two at monks with a big angry carp on the end, guy on the other bank shouted I shoulda drawn his peg if I wanted to fish it

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have 12 solids in my other 3 or so top kits. Bit of an amateur when it comes to elastics, still don't use pullers or even pullers bungs as very old pole. Covers me for the very few times I fish a pole on commercials, if I got a new pole I'd start taking it more seriously.

jononcb

Have tried light hollows for silver fish matches in the winter , or the river Trent even in the summer but hollows are just not as good as using the preston original solid slip in 4's 5's and 6's.
The blue 5 original slip is awesome on Skimmer and Bream venues when every fish counts.
For scratching on shallow canals no.2 or no.3 original sensas natural latex used to take some beating.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
For scratching on shallow canals no.2 or no.3 original sensas natural latex used to take some beating.
Vespe used to be the one for us. I've still got a couple of packets tucked away in the garage because it's a long time since I went on a canal in winter.

JRW

Site Supporter
Anyone else really like using light elastics and can describe the pleasure of it the same as me?
I can relate to this.

I don't like bumping fish off and I keep two match kits with light elastics for the occasions when I think I'm only going to catch silvers. I quite like the sessions where 4 oz roach have to be netted because the elastic stretches too much to swing them in. I get the same enjoyment catching small fish on light elastics as catching big lumps on bungee.

Fishing like this is a bit of a risky business though. I've had the odd occasion where a lump has taken my single maggot. Now I've got to get the ruddy thing in and the worst bit is if somebody is watching me because they're thinking -- 'look at that prick'.

It's a bit easier to get them in these days since pullas were invented but I don't thing you'll get many positive responses from our serious match anglers. They wouldn't be messing about like this.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I've usedv#2 Slip in one of the tops of my Legend Ceramic for winter fishing since I bought it. Bloodworm fishing for silvers in one match I landed a 7Lb Carp on a #26 bloodworm hook on it.

One tip, if you do hook something that wants to take all your elastic out just push the top section or two of your pole under water and elastic will be recovered back into your pole. I have no idea how or why this works, but it does. Doing this I landed that Carp without getting off my box - took about 20 minutes mind, but worth it as I comfortably won the match.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I used to use a no1 and it’s the quickest way, outside a whip, to amass a high number of small fish. There are no worries of bumping fish and would land skimmers up to a pound easily. Why number one elastic? Simple. You struck and just shipped the pole back to the top kit and swung the fish in. As you would play a Carp nowadays. Never bumped a fish and if it was a bonus fish the elastic would just keep giving so you could play it off the top kit👍. Trying this with a heavier elastic would lead to bumped fish, or,,,,,fish skipping along the surface and falling off😂😂
Bonus Tench and Carp were out of the question but I’d have fancied my chances of landing a bonus Bream.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I use light elastic on a silvers match every Wed, 4-6 middy solid, lovely elastic. now we have pullers it's not an issue if hooking carp.
About 4 years ago tried hollow elastic for silvers for a season and was not happy with it, carp would get to much of a head of steam and no control. also not suited to winter.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can relate to this.

I don't like bumping fish off and I keep two match kits with light elastics for the occasions when I think I'm only going to catch silvers. I quite like the sessions where 4 oz roach have to be netted because the elastic stretches too much to swing them in. I get the same enjoyment catching small fish on light elastics as catching big lumps on bungee.

Fishing like this is a bit of a risky business though. I've had the odd occasion where a lump has taken my single maggot. Now I've got to get the ruddy thing in and the worst bit is if somebody is watching me because they're thinking -- 'look at that prick'.

It's a bit easier to get them in these days since pullas were invented but I don't thing you'll get many positive responses from our serious match anglers. They wouldn't be messing about like this.
This is purely a canal thing for me where the most I'm likely to hook is a rogue bonus Chub, Perch or Bream.

I don't have any lakes where I'm likely to just catch silvers and would fish this light, but I'm sure most Canal anglers would fish this light, elasticated just through the top section so no need for pullers. I just about managed to swing my 3oz Roach today but would have netted it in a match. :LOL:(y)

I used to pole fish rivers for silvers too but sure we used a heavier elastic than a 2-4 as you had to strike against a 2g+ float. I wouldn't carry pole tackle to a river peg these days though, and not sure how I managed it in the past. :unsure:

IanG1

Site Supporter
I am massive fan of original slip in 4 5 and 6 for my silvers fishing but been blown away by the new duraslip in 5 and 7. It's so soft on the strike and I haven't bumped many fish but powers up really nicely and I seem to need my pullers less if that makes sense. Had 20lb plus today of small Ide and F1s to 1lb half using the 7 can't fault it as long as it lasts well. IMG_20210403_154835.jpg

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Is now the time to admit that I’m still using the elastic supply that I got (free) when Sponsored in 1992!
i’ve just about run out of 6 and 8, but still got loads of no.2 ;)

no.8 was the largest size in common use back then!