The Horns Dam - Horns Dam Lake

WilkieBFC

Fishing a match on this lake in Goosnargh (PR3) in a few weeks and can't find much about (other than i might be hanging on for grim death as its munterville) it has anyone fished it recently any help, tips, advice would be appreciated.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I haven't fished the main lake for a year or more as it's often bivvied up on a lot of pegs with lines going all over the place so I normally fish one of the other lakes. There are a lot of decent carp in and also a good head of decent bream, plenty of skimmers and roach. If you're pegged on the dam wall then expect maximum depth of about 8 or 9 feet max. I've done ok with the bream off there on paste at 13 metres and expect carp to show to it as well as I've had them to 16lb in the past. Feeder used to be good for the bream but you can get done by big carp if you go too light. Corn, paste and pellet probably best. Maggot will just get you bits every chuck.

WilkieBFC

Thanks for that great write up, one question though. When you say 'bits' are we talking size of your hand or a couple to the pound? are they worth going for i suppose im asking?

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Little skimmers and roach, I reckon about 1-4oz the ones I used to get pestered with. You'd need a heck of a lot if someone starts hitting lumps. Like I say I haven't fished the main lake for about 18 months but I don't think it's changed a great deal. Some real big bream used to show to the carp boys occasionally. I heard from a reliable source of one at 10lb. There's quite a few eels in as well especially on the pegs near the brickwork by the gate. Hope this helps. Best of luck in the match.