The git blog

Pompous git

Site Supporter
People who have beards should pay double council tax for making the place look untidy.

When people reach seventy they should be put down, except me of course I am far too important.

Got a sore throat and a bunged up bonce but spurs were knocked out of the FA cup, so not such
a bad week after all :)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good evening gentlemen, they call me the `gravy Nazi` in my house but I think I have a point. If I cook a roast I get the best
spuds par boil them with the skin on and then break up the outside in a colander. Then a fierce roasting in lard until nice and
crispy. My spuds are food of the gods but what do people go and do? They swamp them with a load of salted coloured muck
that's what, disgusting animals.

There is a thread about your first drink, can`t remember mine but I do remember my first stripper. I was smuggled into our
local working men`s club, bit spit and sawdust with crates of ale under the chairs. Anyway being the youngest by a mile this
bird picked on me, she sat on my lap and got me to undo her bra and I remember her saying "ooh I feel all oriental" in a
cockney accent.
When she came out for the second time she sat on a chair right in front of me and somehow got her legs behind her ears, I
can`t describe what happened next as I would get banned but put it like this, you would remember it a lot more clearly
than you first drink!

Total

Site Supporter
^^:LOL::LOL:

Then you woke up and fell out of bed!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.......Smashing post.;)

BoldBear

if you fill your closed face reel with thicker line until an eighth of an inch from the spool lip then tidy it with some suitably trimmed masking tape then put exactly eighty four handle turns of your chosen line this will give you fifty five yards, works for the 1044 so I suspect it will work with most ABU`s.
Although I usually use my Okuma Sheffield centrepin if I’m trotting my local streams; I do occasionally use my Abu 506 closed face reel and have done since the 1970’s.

I have never handled the Abu 1044 so I don’t know much about it but I have always loaded no more than 50mtrs of line on a closed face reel and can’t see the point in loading line up to the lip on a closed face reel; as the line doesn’t come in contact with the spool lip inside the coweling. (which is totally different to a fixed spool reel of course).

Keith

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, no dream but I was too terrified and embarrassed to enjoy it. Was it you that enquired about barbless
a while back?

My missis buys the Daily Mail on Saturdays, must say I am not over impressed but I can never understand why people
quote the Daily Mail in a derogatory manner. Do they think that this gives their argument some kind of credence? If a
story is true then it is true regardless, put it like this the Polly Toynbee`s of this world wouldn`t know the truth if it bit
them on the backside.

Total

Site Supporter
Hello PG, Had a similar experience during my college years in East Croydon many moons ago in a strip bar....Good times.:)....Embarrassed wasn't the word!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It wasn't me who enquired about the barbless a while back.(y)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Although I usually use my Okuma Sheffield centrepin if I’m trotting my local streams; I do occasionally use my Abu 506 closed face reel and have done since the 1970’s.

I have never handled the Abu 1044 so I don’t know much about it but I have always loaded no more than 50mtrs of line on a closed face reel and can’t see the point in loading line up to the lip on a closed face reel; as the line doesn’t come in contact with the spool lip inside the coweling. (which is totally different to a fixed spool reel of course).

Keith
At last!!!!! I have finally found someone in agreement with me, I have always preached that you don't have to fill the spool as 10 yard of line will come off just as easily as 100. Cheers Pomp; we will educate these 'youngsters' if it kills us :D:D(y)(y)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
ood evening gentlemen, they call me the `gravy Nazi` in my house but I think I have a point. If I cook a roast I get the best
spuds par boil them with the skin on and then break up the outside in a colander. Then a fierce roasting in lard until nice and
crispy. My spuds are food of the gods but what do people go and do? They swamp them with a load of salted coloured muck
that's what, disgusting animals.
I feel for you mate. If someone cooks me a meal I always try and respect, not only the food, but their culinary expertise as well. If the meal is served without gravy then, that is how the chef intended it to be eaten; it is similar with salt and pepper and I would never insult a host by slathering a meal in salt, as I have seen some people do. The short answer is; don't cook for them again.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Thinking of treating myself to a cheap centre pin, got a pond a lake and a stream close together about five minutes bike
ride from me. A pin would cover all angles excuse pun.

Also looking for a decent jack of all trades telescopic, as well as using a float for dace it must be strong enough to fish
a lob or bread in the nooks and crannies. I go on the net and the choice is literally bewildering.

Boldbear, I can see where you are coming from but the 1044 spools are quite deep {could never understand why} and in
my opinion a lot of backing is a must.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Thinking of treating myself to a cheap centre pin, got a pond a lake and a stream close together about five minutes bike
ride from me. A pin would cover all angles excuse pun.

Also looking for a decent jack of all trades telescopic, as well as using a float for dace it must be strong enough to fish
a lob or bread in the nooks and crannies. I go on the net and the choice is literally bewildering.

Boldbear, I can see where you are coming from but the 1044 spools are quite deep {could never understand why} and in
my opinion a lot of backing is a must.
could do you an Okuma 1000 pin, in a neoprene case, been sitting in the cupboard for years, used about a dozen times, think its a VT1000, yours for 25 sovs plus post

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Gather round girls time for a pompous lecture. My mother used to say "I don't want to die I want to know what`s going
on" {in a political sense}. For me I couldn`t care less what happens in a political sense, although obviously I want my offspring
and their kids to live in a safe world the powers that be will just carry on carrying on when I am dead and gone.
Before I croak though I would like to find out what `dark matter` is. Like many I am in awe of the cosmos, it is expanding
at a rate of knots but it is getting bigger in a pattern, so just what is driving this expansion?
Cannot be gravity because the galaxies are too far apart, it would be like opening a window in London and expecting a
curtain to flutter in New York. Some physicists say dark matter could be the key to unlocking the secrets of time itself, mind
you do we really want to know? Probably get some nob try to reinvent Hitler or Stalin.
If I could unlock time I would bring the river Darenth back to its sixties glory, didn`t have joint trouble then either.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, been on a dongle last few weeks and the signal keeps dropping out, most annoying.

Caught a bream hybrid in a boatyard last week, not a monster but approaching a couple of pounds. I love these fish, so much
better than a true bream, half the slime and twice the fight.

Now I do like a decent bit of sirloin {as long as it has a proper bit of fat on it} but surprised myself last week. In `Roy`s of Wroxham`
and the price of said steak is downright robbery. Anyway they had some braising steak which was dirt cheap because it was fatty so
into the microwave until almost cooked and then blasted in the frying pan until almost burnt. Superb and cheap, bit like me.

Came home yesterday and the missis had a pain in her left eye. She got an appointment at specsavers and they referred her to the
eye clinic at our local hospital. She was seen straight away because it was acute glaucoma and about to do serious damage. Treated
and rectified with drops and a laser there and then, marvellous.
Thank you specsavers thank you NHS.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, bit of a shock happened so quick, I didn`t even know what glaucoma was. Last eye test I had was about six years
ago but I keep putting it off even though its free, changed my mind now.

bagger7

tomo
Site Supporter
Hi PG, I recently tried a small bullet stopped just 8" from the hook, Under a relativly heavy trotter, Then just held back on the float untill the tip showed above the water, When the bite comes its usualy straight under, Had some great roach with this method on the yare its tidal too, Double ded red is the in bait at the moment, So when you come back up ere try it me dear might work, All the best.

Jon.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hmmm....got some small bullets somewhere. I will be fishing the Thurne at Ludham although I doubt if the current is anywhere
near as powerful as the Yare. Watched a few videos about this river, not sure if I`m man enough!