The git blog

Total

Site Supporter
I appreciate you lot are thick and don`t know anything so to help you win friends and influence people here are a couple of facts
to amaze others. Deoxyribonucleic acid {DNA} and ribonucleic acid {RNA} can be broken down into a code of letters. Coronovirus
RNA code is thirty thousand letters long, the human DNA code is six billion letters long. So now you know.

Couple of days ago me and a pal {yes you read that correctly} paid a visit to the Thurne at Martham Ferry, decent sized gaps among
the boats and a nice comfortable bank. Only one goer roach plus lots of smaller ones, what saved the day though was three bream
about a pound and a half each, not big but on a slowed down stick float good sport. These river bream are so much livelier and a
whole lot cleaner than their still water cousins, I love `em.
^^:)......"You should get paid for this!".....;):giggle:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
you drink that water up there for too long

it does strange things to the amount of appendages you possess

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Been away nearly a fortnight, not been in a pub or restaurant and shops are rubbish. Just can`t get into the swing of things up here
its not so bad for me I go fishing but I think the missis is going crackers. Shouldn`t complain this plague or whatever it is hasn`t
affected me too much unlike some poor sods, seems odd though basically writing off a whole summer.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello Michael, I have returned to the bosom of good old Ashford that well known centre of culture, excellence, sophistication, discernment
and sagaciousness. I have counted my various bits and everything tallies.

I have listened to `ship of fools` a few more times, I have a feeling I am missing what is in plain sight. Perhaps `old McPhee` realises he can`t
change anything and like me has metaphorically washed his hands of it all.

Just checked my elderly waymaster scales against the kitchen scales, almost bang on.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Bunged a link on, maybe our reknowned experts on psychology could explain the lyrical terms

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I went to bed last night with a heavy heart, nothing too drastic just a general malaise. I fancied a bit of tench fishing
and the RM canal is as good as anywhere, off to Bilsington for a recce. Overgrown and impossible to fish for most of
the length, in days gone by I would have cut a swim and dragged it weed free without a second thought but energy
level has dropped and I have to be honest with myself it aint coming back.

So, it will be a local lake tomorrow for {hopefully} decent roach instead, I have a plan.

Years ago this lake had a good head of crucians but catching on the normal baits impossible because they had simply
wised up, I started catching them again though using half a redworm tipped with caster. Going to try the same trick for
the better roach only using cheese as the change bait.

Back to the RM, the picture is a double swim over a culvert which me and my old man used to fish in days of yore. What
is it with the EA? Why did they have to stick a bluddy great railing on it?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've had the same problem mate, I went to one of my old stomping grounds on the Trent the other day. We used to fish 50 peg club matches on it, now you can't even get to the river it is so overgrown, it looks like it has not been fished for years. If I had my gear at home I would definitely be clearing a swim as it would be like fishing a virgin water.

Me and the missus walked the banks of the Trent and Attenbourough gravel pits for 2 hours and never saw an angler:(

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Watcha Dave, trouble is most of the anglers interested in the more natural venues are half dead:(
Makes me sad but it shouldn't, there is always plenty of room on the rivers nowadays, at one time everywhere was matched up at the week ends.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Still room for one though, give it a go l dare you !
They even cut the grass for you 😁
The last time I fished the pictured swim was before `85, it was unusual not to catch tench but me and my old man never had
more than one bream between us in a session. I will fish it one day but not for a week or so as I`m off to Norfolk again for a
while.

In an ideal world I would like to make several swims on this stretch, anyway I have set my sights on making two. If people are
in my swims then at least the stretch is being used so all well and good, if I die of exhaustion making them then at least I will
have croaked in one of my favourite places. Yes being cheerful is my forte.

Nothing is problem free, if there is only one or two swims then the roach will get used to hemp and other feed being chucked
in and hang around, trouble is so will the jacks.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
This is my youngest daughter`s box before she discovered boys, quite keen at one time. It may look a bit fancy but it`s very
flimsy, if a big fat bloke sat on it it would probably disintegrate.

I have bits of fishing tackle all over the house, draws cupboards boxes you name it. I have decided to put my go to stuff for
immediate use and topping up my tackle box in it, so here I am in the front room with lots of stuff out. The missis said`your
like a great big kid`, yeeup:)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good evening gentlemen, being universally hated does have a plus side. The plan was to fish the thurne for roach but I got
out of bed and just fancied something else, if you are fishing a match then obviously you must go where the competition is
and if you are fishing with chums much the same, if you are like me a billy no mates you can do as you please.

In days of yore shallow draft freight boats would ply the Norfolk rivers and several hundred yards below Horsted weir on
the Bure is a short canal about sixty feet across which leads to a loading/unloading turning basin. Never fished it but walked
past it a few times and this is where I ended up, as I crossed the weirpool it looked very inviting but I knew in a couple of hours
it will be mad with swimmers and paddle boarders and the like.

Started off catching dace and perch plus a small chub but it was hard work for little reward. I decided to empty my keepnet
and if some of the big fish boys on here could have seen my catch they would have laughed their socks off but what happened
next really did take me by surprise.

Small waggler over depth with corn, bites few and far between then I chucked in a couple of handfulls of hemp and tares. These
seeds which I had cooked myself had been in a screwtop container for several weeks and had taken on that lovely nutty aroma.
From then on it was a goer roach a chuck for an hour and a half, bites stopped as sudden as they started I think I overfed. I am
in no doubt it was the seeds that did the trick, the water was shallow and gin clear with strong sunshine but they had gone nuts
like a bunch of little children that had found a cupboard full of jelly babies.

Not had such a good day with the redfins for years.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Sounds like a great day mate, we'll done.(y)(y)

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
That's a lovely looking stretch PG (y)

Method Man

Sounds like the day turned out well, I am originally from Norwich and regularly fished the broads, my favourite spot was November hire a row boat and tie up on poles pushed into the mud mid river on the big bend at Horning can’t remember except it was the first big pub entering Horning regular catches of 100lb plus with two of us a little while ago 1964,;I bet it’s not the same now.