The git blog

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Always an interesting read my lord, I got it so right when I had you made a peer of the realm, it really suits.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I will probably get slagged off for saying this but despite being gentry I have a soft spot for Trotsky. Yes his politics are mad and
he was an utterly ruthless man but his mindset was forged in a world very different to mine. He had more guts in his little finger
than most people have in their entire body and as we know paid the ultimate price for going against the grain of his masters.

Anyway to get to the point for whatever reason he changed his name. Something I have considered, I reckn my image could do
with an update. I was thinking `Quintan DeVille`, don`t want something too poncey.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Oh well looks like I will have to stick with `Lancelot Deveraux`.

I am just about to simmer some hemp that I purchased yesterday. Previous two lots have been disappointing, fingers crossed.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hemp was soaked for twenty four hours and simmered for nearly an hour, refuses to split:(

More or less given up trying to get hemp good enough for hook bait.

Searching the net some mush recons cooking large hemp then freezing regardless of splitting then thawing and re-cooking. I
will try this but I am clutching at straws, if that doesn`t work then I will chuck all of it. I have some Sensas giant hemp so I would
have thought that would have split, not on your Nelly.

At least the tares behaved and turned out perfect.

I had my seed conversion rather later in life, not on the road to Damascus but the road to Wroxham. Trying to catch roach and
getting pestered with tiny perch. The river Bure was very clear and you could see nearly twelve feet right to the bottom, I have
never seen so many small perch in one place, hordes of the spiky little blighters.
Bad enough with maggots but when using caster and having to wait a few seconds to strike I just gave up. Got a tin of tares for
the next trip and job`s a good `un. Can`t beat casters but I wouldn`t want to be without tares.

Total

Site Supporter
@Pompous git ....The only thing I would add mate that may help, is try soaking it for two or three days (change add/ water) before cooking it....Then bin it if you have too.....(y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
@Pompous git ....The only thing I would add mate that may help, is try soaking it for two or three days (change add/ water) before cooking it....Then bin it if you have too.....(y)
No need to bin it , just liquidise it and use it in groundbait. Don't throw money away , recycle it !

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good afternoon gentlemen, I took the offending hemp from the freezer and took a photo of it {I don`t get out much}. I then simmered
it for twenty minutes, it appeared no different but when I tried to test hook it the grains disintergrated so no joy. When I looked at the
photo it appeared to have split but not obviously?

Now PG may be an irritatting old sod and he may be a determined old sod and he may be every kind of old sod in betwwen but regarding
hemp I think I have been nothing but a silly old sod, I reckon it may well be perfectly usable as hookbait but not obviously so because it
has not sprouted.

I will make this my last post regarding hemp, I can hear the sighs of relief from here...

Not been fishing for a few days, no two ways about it the hot weather knocks you back when you get older. Should be fresher tomorrow
so should be OK for a few hours local.

My eldest was going to pay a visit but Waggy the wonderdog which has a coat like a sheep is feeling the heat and best left alone. I was
looking forward to a good muck about in the garden, never thought I would say this but I have become quite attatched to the dopey mutt.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Get a Preston dual disgorger and spike that I use spike top and side easy to hook. Defrost hemp in hot water leave for 10 mins perfect
Preston Floater Disgorger Knot Picker

Preston Floater Disgorger Knot Picker
Key Features
Features a double ended disgorger Suitable for all medium and large sized coarse fish To use the knot picker, twist the central section apart You will find a super fine knot picker housed in the middle Ideal for unpicking knots and saving valuable time Constructed from a floating plastic If you drop it you can quickly retrieve it and re-use the accessory

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, on another thread a fellow drowner bemoans about `that feeling`. I often feel like that but once I`m
on the riverbank the miseries seem to just fade away, I try not to think of politics or other dull things, think of it as
the ultimate me time.

Yesterday was such a day, everything ready but it was peeing down and an uncomfortable blustery wind. Anyway I
dragged myself out into this foul morning and twenty minutes later I`m under my brolly sitting comfortably in my
favourite Thurne swim.
Actually a double swim and I`m in the middle with a nice clear run for when the flow changes. Far to wavy and windy
for any finesse so its a drennan mini avon that takes six number four, these floats are very slim and sensitive and I
would not want to be without them.

Feeding hemp but with maggot hook bait its a small roach a chuck but I cannot get a bite on hemp or tares so its the
good old standby of a squashed bit of corn. Flow stops and a bream of a couple of pounds, using corn on the flood I
had a few better ones and a cracker over the pound, a bird strike and teeth marks this is a real survivor. I am not a
specimen type angler but its the third roach over the pound this season so I`m well happy.

I am using a thirty odd year old Shakespear `flavia,` despite modern rod technology and design there is nothing to beat
the satisfying `thump thump` of a decent roach as the spliced tip does its job.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
It looks like a great bit of river. If only I could just plonk myself down on that chair and have an hour or two...... :love:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening Mick, I like Norfolk but I would not live there, even now on this very pleasant July evening there is the almost constant
nagging easterly zephyr taking the gilt off things, bint calls it `cardigan county`.

The Norfolk tidal rivers don`t have the fast flows and gravel shallows of say the Wye but if you like just plodding a top and bottom
float for roach then its hard to beat. The roach numbers have dropped considerably in the the upper parts of the rivers but the
tidal bits have held up well, certainly from where I`m sitting the roach seem to be getting bigger.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I appreciate you lot are thick and don`t know anything so to help you win friends and influence people here are a couple of facts
to amaze others. Deoxyribonucleic acid {DNA} and ribonucleic acid {RNA} can be broken down into a code of letters. Coronovirus
RNA code is thirty thousand letters long, the human DNA code is six billion letters long. So now you know.

Couple of days ago me and a pal {yes you read that correctly} paid a visit to the Thurne at Martham Ferry, decent sized gaps among
the boats and a nice comfortable bank. Only one goer roach plus lots of smaller ones, what saved the day though was three bream
about a pound and a half each, not big but on a slowed down stick float good sport. These river bream are so much livelier and a
whole lot cleaner than their still water cousins, I love `em.