The git blog

Pompous git

Site Supporter
He`s spoilt rotten, trouble is he has become very overweight actually has rolls of fat, not good.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
He`s spoilt rotten, trouble is he has become very overweight actually has rolls of fat, not good.
Dogs like that need 'a walk on the wild side' they don't like to be cossetted and love nothing more than running wild for a bit. C'mon mate you're his grandad; take him in hand:LOL:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening gentlemen, yesterday was supposed to be fishing day, yes well. Woke up early out of a bad dream {where does this
stuff come from?} and the light was just peeking over the curtain, asked the missis if she wanted a cup of tea and assumed
the grunt was affirmative and toddled of to the kitchen. Fluorescent lights do my bonce in, I doubt if mankind will ever get
used to the garish affront to the eyeballs, never mind up and at `em.
Cool envelope with my sandwich and tea milk, maggies hemp and corn in the holdall and plonked by the door, all set. Gave
the wife her tea went straight back downstairs put everything back in the fridge went back upstairs and slid back in bed. Bint
had the `ump she thought she had the bed to herself for a few hours, well she thought wrong.

Last night the dream fairy was kind to me and the slash fairy ditto, woke up at a quarter to eight. Once again asked missis
if she wanted tea and once again I assumed the indecipherable pre dawn of time snort meant yes. Downstairs the usual
routine and this time managed to over come many years of inbuilt laziness and actually found myself in my fabulous four
wheeled palace and on the move.

Destination was the RM canal at a place called Bilsington, swim could do with a rake through but easily fishable. I can never
make my mind up in these situations, had my 13ft ultralight for a couple of years now and the more I use it the more I like
it but with every chance of a hefty tench I am pushing my luck. Hedging my bets I put some three pound maxima on my
small shimano {breaks nearer four} and a sixteen Drennan carp to three and a half pound hook length. Two AA waggler a
bit overdepth and a couple of red maggies and I`m away.
Waited ages for a bite and when eventually the float did slide away it was a poxy eel, sizable one as well but even so I hate
the things and I yanked the line to snap it at the hook length, the revolting thing will soon rid itself of any ironmongery. New
hook and this time a single grain of corn, still very slow then the float disappeared as if on a mission resulting in a nice big
fat shiny canal roach, these are the beautiful creatures that I crave but only ended up with the one. Will drastically lighten
the tackle next trip and forget about tench.
Couple more missed bite then a whacking great bream, a real right slab nearer six than five but even with all that bulk it was
like a wet rag. Enjoyable few hours but almost like the cold weather it was so slow, a very odd session.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
pegs to the left of the bridge looking up the hill ?

theres some cracking rudd through that stretch too

Pompous git

Site Supporter
That`s right Mick, I was opposite that spike like memorial. Bank is steep but with nowadays fancy chairs not really a problem
although a box could be a bit awkward.

Was present a few years back when the EA did a survey, as you say cracking rudd.

Dopey dog update, waggy the wonderdog decided to take a bath in the RM at Hythe today, I was told it panicked being out
of its depth. Luckily my son in law managed to grab its collar, I always thought all dogs could swim, apparently not.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Fantastic looking stretch of canal, I must say. Loads of features. Does it flow at all, with having no boat traffic?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hi Lordy, yes it can flow but only after tons of rain. Banks are very overgrown and weeds can be a problem but had some
marvellous days on the RM. I remember an Ashford committee member referring to it as a `so called fishery` and I can
understand why in some respects but this was the go to fishery in its day, the commercials have done the damage. I tend
to look at this water through rose tinted and I would love to see it back to its former glory but it `aint gonna happen.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
only flow really is when they open the sluice gates to empty it a bit when the farmers get worried about the hieght of the water

your comittee member is talking out his ass, for those in the know of it and are prepared to put the effort in, its a great fishery, plenty of fish throughout the lengths if it, my eyes aint rose tinted and if I had to choose any water that would be my only place to fish it would be the RMC

even in the depths of winter Ive had good days, the angling some days is better now than its ever been, most the fish have never seen a hook or an anglers bait, your about a month late for the slabs shoaling-shagging there, those north bank reeds are full of em at that time

and its only 5 mins to the nearest pub for a brew after

Total

Site Supporter
Good evening P.G.....Your photo looks like the RM was carrying a tinge of colour?....Perfect for Bream... :love:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good evening gentlemen, I use the term loosely. I am not one of those Neanderthal ex forces types, I am much too sophisticated
to play rugby and I am far removed from your common tradesman hairy arsed or otherwise. I am probably the nearest thing to a
proper gentleman on here.

Watcha Total, yes the RM was a little murky. I reckon the EA had been doing something, usually a steady little and often hemp and
caster feed will result in plenty of roach.

Michael, I`m with you on this one but alas. Around fifteen years ago LAS asked me if I could organise some swims at Bonnington
for their matches, a round robin went out for volunteers which resulted in the grand total of one and that was me!
I done seventeen before running out of time, this was in boiling weather at the beginning of the season {now removed on this bit}
but people moaned. Trouble is although the swims were perfectly usable the age group of most of the match group is not exactly
low, they couldn`t use their trollies because off crops and the nature of the top of the bank so it was all a bit of a let down after an
enormous amount of hard work.
I say the swims were usable. If you are a carp angler I`m afraid there is no room to park your pantechnicon with your life support
systems and you will have to put the butler`s quarters in a field. If you fish with one of those new fangled pole type thingies so you
can sit at Ruckinge but fish at Iden then I`m afraid you will have to move to Iden but if you are a normal angler like me {I heard that}
then they were bang on. I`m afraid to say there are long stretches of the RM that are doomed to run wild and will eventually be
lost to angling. In my view your lot probably has the best of the canal at Aldergate.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Had a wander through the Seaview section (next to the golf course on princes parade) with the black dog today

we have a match scheduled for next weekend coming on it, pegs are very overgrown due to the growing season and coronavirus abscences

spotted a lot of fish, hanging up in the water catching rays, one shoal of big black bream numbered 20 plus that I could see, probably more

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening ladies, the git household is in a state of high excitement. Well I am anyway, I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of twelve
inches. A medium rake from `Jakes Rakes`, made a few in the past but I want one now and I just can`t be arsed. Forty quid seems
a bit steep but it looks a solid bit of kit and it folds.
My local estate lake is shallow and silted and like most tench waters switches off after about eight o`clock so the plan is rake it
a dozen or so times then corn over hemp, any tench mooching about will hopefully stop in my swim and I will not have to drag
myself out of bed at some ridiculous hour.

I am at present re reading an old fishing book, `coarse fishing` by a bloke called H Turing. This book was written in the early thirties
and Mr Turing speaks of coarse anglers that are heavy booted and be-macintoshed with heavy mahogany chests and enormous
rod holdalls. He says they are now much more mobile having ditched all the heavy gear, if said Mr Turing was by some miracle to
come back to life I wonder what he would make of the amount of stuff we drag around today.

Fished my local club lake this morning, I had hemp corn and maggots, got pestered with tiny fish from the word go. At one point
I stopped fishing for a half hour or so, using corn eventually the bites slowed right down and out of the blue a roach of a pound.
Strange how things turn around sometimes, a roach of this size makes my day. I am going to try cheddar sliced say an eight of an
inch thick and break bits off say half the size of a postage stamp in an effort to put off the tiddlers next trip.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, Captain Mainwaring-Farage here telling you all what to do and how to do it.

I am utterly fearless, nothing scares me. My mother was a monster my aunts were monsters my wife and sister are dragons and I
am convinced my daughters are witches. Despite having bravery etched throughout my body like a stick of rock there is something
that sets my trepidation level rocketing, the one thing we all dread, yes I am talking about visiting Folkestone.

The skulking residents lurk undead like in the shadows staring like cod that have been on the fishmongers slab for a week.

I have a way of dealing with it, I hop on my right leg and drag my left foot behind me then deliberately hunch my shoulders to make
it look like I have one arm longer than the other whilst dribbling. They look at me and think `he`s one of us, leave him alone`.

The plan was to leave Folkestone and have some fish and chips on Hythe seafront but the place was busy so nowhere to park
and as the side streets were also log jammed it was plan B. Drive to Dymchurch, now Dymchurch is often slagged off in fact I have
often heard it referred to as Grimchurch which is a bit unkind.
It is what it is with no pretention, a cheap and cheerful family candy floss type bit of seaside, I love it.

I paid a visit to a pet/tackle shop on the outskirts of Hythe and purchased some tares and hemp, the hemp is labelled `large` but
it is not that big but big enough for hook bait as long as it splits, we shall see.

The plan was to drive back home to Ashford across Romney Marsh and check out some swims on the canal and maybe use my
new rake but it was stifling and what with bint moaning it was too hot I just headed for home via the main road.

When I bailiffed the canal people bemoaned much of the bank is steep, well as an angler who has spent many years fishing for
chub in small streams I am used to just getting on with it although I can understand modern day fishermen finding the more
`natural` type venues a bit daunting after purpose built swims.

My solution is thus, use a chair that you can unscrew the feet and push the legs into the earth. The push a couple of rodrests
well in near the bank and I keep a small piece of scrap timber in the boot and just put it across. This may seem a bit of a faff
but it only takes a minute or so and if you are sitting in a chair for maybe four hours or so you might as well get comfortable.

I should get paid for this.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
you passed un noticed due to the influx of other grockles today,

the marsh watch assumed you had at least a pound or two of tupenny pieces to donate to the gambling machines so let you pass unhindered

i trust you found the propietor of the shop well, rather a nice guy I think, his dad runs the pet food shop atop of the horn street in cherry town

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Not used my rake yet, it is all nice and new and shiny:)

Didn`t stay long enough in the shop to speak to the bloke, it only takes a few customers to create overload so to speak.

Bint is an old word, you should hear what she calls me!

I wish I had driven down to the harbour, mind you I have no idea what it is like for parking nowadays.