The Future for the River Trent ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think the Collingham issue has a lot to do with the changing mindset of clubs and their committees.
Good waters are hard to get, and the last thing any club wants to do is lose a water due to the behaviours of a minority of anglers and an angry landowner.
The problem becomes when those waters progress further into exclusivity and the fishing rights are taken over by syndicates.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Here in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk there are many clubs. A few of them stopped selling day tickets during covid and found it suited them so have remained members only….I can think of several clubs further up the Great Ouse who have always been members only

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Collingham recently has highlighted it Dave, but also i recall Winthorpe making the same change for the better, in that, possibly a more middle ground change too, with membership yes, but night fishing still permitted.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Here in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk there are many clubs. A few of them stopped selling day tickets during covid and found it suited them so have remained members only….I can think of several clubs further up the Great Ouse who have always been members only
Similar story on the Thames here since Covid very little day ticket fishing left through clubs or otherwise but lots of cheap clubs with loads of river to fish. Still quite a few clubs that do day tickets on the Avon though.

Tallshort23

Membership of Pride is around £80 per season. DRAC who have alot of the Trent above is £60. Long Eaton Victoria who have the Trent below is £32. Trent lock is still free. Day ticket prices at commercials £10 for one rod. You could join all 3 clubs (although there maybe a waiting list for pride) for £172 and if you go 18 times you have had better value than you would fishing commercials and that doesn't take into account all the lakes and canals that come with said tickets.

People moaning about the lack of day tickets on the Trent should ask themselves how often they went fishing on day ticket stretches. I have fished the river all my life and in the last 15 years could spend the whole day walking for miles and not see another angler.

Use it or lose it and people didn't use it.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Yep ... I grew up in that area, i was quite surprised when I learnt hat clubs issued day tickets!
Vauxhall, Kempston AC (before folding), bedford, blunham ... all have been members only since the 80s to my knowledge.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Membership of Pride is around £80 per season. DRAC who have alot of the Trent above is £60. Long Eaton Victoria who have the Trent below is £32. Trent lock is still free. Day ticket prices at commercials £10 for one rod. You could join all 3 clubs (although there maybe a waiting list for pride) for £172 and if you go 18 times you have had better value than you would fishing commercials and that doesn't take into account all the lakes and canals that come with said tickets.

People moaning about the lack of day tickets on the Trent should ask themselves how often they went fishing on day ticket stretches. I have fished the river all my life and in the last 15 years could spend the whole day walking for miles and not see another angler.

Use it or lose it and people didn't use it.
Don't think there is a waiting list for POD, they stopped taking members in 2020 when Boris paid everyone 80% of their wage to go fishing LOL but loads of them didn't renew. POD also charge a £20 join fee and £10 gate key in first year and if you lapse you have to pay these charges again. Soldiers and Sailors have the stretch above Trent Lock and that's another cheap ticket at around £30 but it's a bit of a walk.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Just the other side of the bridge where said new PoD stretch ends is the Soldiers and Sailors stretch which runs all the way down to Trent Lock. Ticket is only £20 for the year.

Not all expensive clubs, still some cheap fishing to be had.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Just the other side of the bridge where said new PoD stretch ends is the Soldiers and Sailors stretch which runs all the way down to Trent Lock. Ticket is only £20 for the year.

Not all expensive clubs, still some cheap fishing to be had.
Not exactly, the new stretch for POD behind Harrington Pub is next the Armaduct Angling club stretch (another sub £30 ticket) This goes down pretty much to the railway and footbridge near Sawley Lock mouth entrance and the start of the S & S stretch.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Not exactly, the new stretch for POD behind Harrington Pub is next the Armaduct Angling club stretch (another sub £30 ticket) This goes down pretty much to the railway and footbridge near Sawley Lock mouth entrance and the start of the S & S stretch.

Aha, i thought it was all the way, this is what happens when you get 2nd hand knowledge from other anglers on the bank and the club doesn't have a proper online presence :LOL:

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Isn't the S&S bit still day ticket?

I used to fish Barkers pond and they stopped day tickets for that making it season ticket only a couple years back so could be the same for the river stretch. Might be wrong though, I'll ask Kev the bailiff if i see him around.