The Future for the River Trent ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I shared the following post on MD Facebook page, originally from the Real River Trent Angling Group's FB page.

'Just heard that Pride of Derby have purchased the land at the side of Trent behind the Harrington pub at Sawley from the bridge upstream to just above the abandoned caravan. They plan to do some work there over the coming years along with improved access. That makes all the River in the area members only now across various clubs.'

So is this the future for the Trent ? Is members only the way things will go, with very few day & overnight tickets stretches ?

Granted I am sure Pride of Derby have been after the stretch to add to their waters given it's proximity to their nearby stretches. Can't help but think this is part prompted by the fallout from the Collingham Circus coming to an end and concerned clubs not wishing give access to the element whose antics led to the Collingham ban.

Will there be further bankside grabs by clubs wanting to offer more stretches of the Trent to their members only.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I don't consider it "bankside grabs" but good management and investment.
As you state many waters suffer from the antics of the few, and also some members only clubs do have them, those who consider themselves above the rules, especially those that fish and guest (unauthorised) day tickets waters. I personally know of several instances where after leasing waters for considerable lengths of time, our continued use of the waters was put in jeopardy by fires, left bottles and litter by visiting day ticket anglers. Our only solution was to purchase the riparian ownership rather than the farmer close the fishing. Along with this, came another problem - access to such purchase.

Often in such purchases, riparian ownership, comes a strip of land - about 2-5 m wide to access it. If The Pride of Derby have now bought the adjoining land this gives them the better ability to create car access and car parks along its length.

Without knowing the full facts it is difficult to discuss any further.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As long as the clubs are accessible and don’t cost the earth then that doesn’t effect local and match anglers just a bit rubbish if you want to travel to fish the trent unless the clubs are very cheap. It’s a similar situation here now as since Covid there’s few very stretches of the Thames that are day ticket but as the clubs vary from about £15 to £50 it doesn’t matter at all to locals as we just buy the tickets and for the cheaper clubs you could justify paying them if you traveled to fish a couple sessions. There’s also no limits on numbers so if you want a ticket you’ll get one. If clubs look after waters making them more accessible and better places to fish then it’s no bad thing at all in fact quite the opposite it’s definitely a good thing. I do take advantage of day ticket stretches of the Avon but it wouldn’t break the bank to join a club on that river. Clubs only become a barrier when they cost triple figures and or have memberships caps but fortunately we have nothing like that around here yet.

jononcb

Plenty of reasonable priced membership still available though.
Only a few clubs with silly membership joining fees to outprice the normal person.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Much like Carp/Syndicates, prices start low then creep up and up.
Maybe these clubs could offer a limited traveler membership (for non local anglers) where you pay a small fee to join club with no fishing rights and the pay x amount for a day ticket?

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
as has been said, i cannot see it as a negative in anyway, they will look after it and improve it and it will take time and money and effort.
End of the day you pay to be a member or not and fish somewhere else, if you really want to fish that stretch then you will join, you can always join different clubs and stretches each year and if costs go up then costs go up! they are the custodians of that stretch and will look after it and maintain it.

Massive plus in my book

Same as poaching etc being what it is and only going to get worse i think this is the only way to safeguard the waterways, it all takes money, time and effort and clubs / syndicates makes total sense to me.

if the cost if too high for you to justify then thats your choice, each to their own

TrickyD

Site Supporter
So is this the future for the Trent ? Is members only the way things will go, with very few day & overnight tickets stretches ?
At least fishing will still be available-at a cost. I was reading about a new development by the River Irwell in Manchester where the developers are shutting off the riverside walk. No idea if fishing was allowed, but it definitely won't be now.

squimp

Site Supporter
It might be better for the fish too.

If a decent club with proper bailiffs runs the water then they can look after the fishery and the fish.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
If the Trent continues as it is there is every possibility a lot of it will be closed club or syndicate water.
It's the best Barbel river in the country and anglers will pay for it
Agree that this is the bigger risk.
At the moment there is even still plenty of good fishing available on a day ticket - Notts Piscatorials for example ... although their joining fee would be prohibitive for me as a match angler ... 250 joining and 150 p.a. is small beer compared to many lakes.
For members : Notts AA was always very good value (their webpage is well out of date tho)
Newark Piscatorials is 50 per annum

so what if the absolute best pegs are otherwise taken ... just go and challenge yourself in a less famous area!

Last edited:

Dropon

Newark Federation is a very well run club and the hard work and foresight of the committee as led to it having some very good stretches of the river along with good parking areas.

Steve57

Site Supporter
Pride of Derby is £80 + £20 joining fee. They have loads of waters to fish and most have a private locked car park.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I can't see a big issue. The only people that might be genuinely hard done to by a lack of day tickets are very occasional anglers or those travelling once in a while (I would fall into the latter category). If the clubs taking over were very expensive or very difficult to get into, it might be a different story.

Pride of Derby looks to be reasonably good value. If I knew I could get at least ten sessions on their waters, I'd have no issue paying their asking price. I'm fairly sure that I'd sooner fish (no day ticket) water a decent club controlled than the usual free for all on the more popular day ticket Trent stretches.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I shared the following post on MD Facebook page, originally from the Real River Trent Angling Group's FB page.

'Just heard that Pride of Derby have purchased the land at the side of Trent behind the Harrington pub at Sawley from the bridge upstream to just above the abandoned caravan. They plan to do some work there over the coming years along with improved access. That makes all the River in the area members only now across various clubs.'

Granted I am sure Pride of Derby have been after the stretch to add to their waters given it's proximity to their nearby stretches. Can't help but think this is part prompted by the fallout from the Collingham Circus coming to an end and concerned clubs not wishing give access to the element whose antics led to the Collingham ban.

Will there be further bankside grabs by clubs wanting to offer more stretches of the Trent to their members only.
Thats my original quoted post interestingly

The reason I posted was nothing really to do with the rights and wrongs of clubs gaining stretches but there had been a debate about this very stretch recently regarding who had the rights/ownership. I live local to this and fish this area regularly and am also a POD member and saw the land was up for auction to later found out it was purchased by POD. Be interesting how they develop it as it has high eroded banks and shallow sections of water. Those with long enough memories will remember there used to be an island by the bridge with a few pegs on it that was washed away in the big flood of 2000.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Maybe it's me, mis-reading the responses I am not against clubs owning either the adjacent land or riparian rights to any stretch of river and then choosing how best to utilize the stretch for the benefit of the members. I am a member of two clubs with Trent waters Newark & District Piscatorials Federation and Buton Mutual Angling Association and choose to pay the membership to fish their waters no different than a golfer or squash p;layer pays membership to use a clubs greens or facilities.

The ones who will be affected are those that live a distance away from the Trent and only manage 2 or 3 visits a year or want to fish various rivers throughout the year.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Long Eaton Vic is a cheap ticket about 30 quid a year and there stretch has thrown up big Barbel over the years. Goes under the radar a bit but never see many fishing there stretch. Know of a few lads who come down from up North, buy a ticket in local tackle shop and fish it 3 or 4 times a season so opportunity out there if you look around.

Shadrack

It’s definitely the direction the Trent is headed. Already this season Collingham have stopped night tickets, and Gunthorpe lock have stopped day tickets completely. I would bet it won’t be long before others are following suit. As mentioned by others, people will pay because the Trent is probably the best barbel river in the country right now, so clubs won’t see a downside to it.

Scribe

Site Supporter
I can't see a big issue. The only people that might be genuinely hard done to by a lack of day tickets are very occasional anglers or those travelling once in a while (I would fall into the latter category). If the clubs taking over were very expensive or very difficult to get into, it might be a different story.

Pride of Derby looks to be reasonably good value. If I knew I could get at least ten sessions on their waters, I'd have no issue paying their asking price. I'm fairly sure that I'd sooner fish (no day ticket) water a decent club controlled than the usual free for all on the more popular day ticket Trent stretches.
Whilst clubs keep membership at a reasonable level then like you Sam I don't see a problem, but as demand for Trent fishing increases would landowners with riparian rights not be tempted to raise the rent charged forcing clubs to raise the membership fee to meet the cost ? As the Trent has become more popular for certain streches, is there also not the combined temptation for clubs to raise membership in order to fund further Riparian or land buying ?
This is pure speculation on my part and these issues may not arise, but then again........

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Interesting that at a time when numbers of anglers are increasing at possibly its steepest rate, more and more waters are going over to membership. Could be due to several reasons; ensuring those that have been members for a good while actually have some water to get on, or possibly that with the increase in numbers and with Barbel fishing possibly being the fastest growing, does come the uneducated element and some of the things that harms the sport and whilst i am always for educate rather than alienate, clubs going over to membership does see an improvement in bankside quality and fish welfare. Also need to remember that not all Trent water is Barbel fishing, with match and coarse fishing more traditionally still being popular and it's vital that this aspect of angling remains possible or able to be undertaken with enjoyment.

I was very much viewing things as pull the ladder up jack as in recent years my favoured Trent stretches and also Severn ones went over to membership, but overall, the welcome received by N&D in accepting my first application a few years back and how well they run their waters caused me to admit i was wrong in my thoughts and during my Trent trips, numbering ones over a season i can justify paying the fee for, i can see the quality of things;safe parking, regularly patrolled banks, clean ones at that and license and ticket checks.

Always a sentimental thought though for those not able to justify membership fees in numbers of trips driven by location, being that person when it comes to say BAA, i wonder if clubs, like some commercials, block out some days per year for open days or open to all days for anyone of any age to experience something they see slapped all over social media and want to try, but find the story somewhat different when they start to look into where to fish. Of course such days could be well manned by members. Again, educate rather than alienate and with the day also a chance for clubs to observe those attending, may be have some reduced rates for those that can only fish the odd time a year and perhaps have those odd times a year specified, would keep everyone happy and also help to absorb and retain new anglers. Currently i would hazard a guess that there have been numerous newbies to the sport, that have found out the hard way that you can't just pitch up and fish anywhere, a big turn off for them and we will probably lose them to boating or canoeing!